Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: We can finally rename, add & delete key cards!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kermee

It's Not Easy Being Green
Jul 31, 2018
WA, BC & HKG
Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but just noticed today that as of at least 2018.40.1 (No 42.2 for me yet), I can finally rename, add & delete key cards. I don't remember it being in on 2018.39.7, but maybe it was there and I never went in to check or notice. Maybe it was a part of the initial V9 roll-out...

IMG_20181029_194605.png

IMG_20181029_194530.png

Will it let you add non-Tesla key cards?

Great idea! So, I just tried the following cards:
  • U.S. Passport ID Card
  • NEXUS ID Card
  • WA State Enhanced DL
  • Random Sheraton-branded Card
  • Random Westin-branded Card
  • ORCA (Seattle Mass Transit)
  • Oyster (London Mass Transit)
  • Octopus (HKG Mass Transit)
  • Suica (Japan Mass Transit)
  • EasyCard (Taiwan Mass Transit)
  • EPIC Ski Pass Card
  • GoodToGo FLEX Pass (Toll Pass... Hey... No harm in trying.)
  • Bunch of random work keycards...
No love from any of them.

Great idea! So, I just tried the following cards:
  • U.S. Passport ID Card
  • NEXUS ID Card
  • WA State Enhanced DL
  • Random Sheraton-branded Card
  • Random Westin-branded Card
  • ORCA (Seattle Mass Transit)
  • Oyster (London Mass Transit)
  • Octopus (HKG Mass Transit)
  • Suica (Japan Mass Transit)
  • EasyCard (Taiwan Mass Transit)
  • EPIC Ski Pass Card
  • GoodToGo FLEX Pass (Toll Pass... Hey... No harm in trying.)
  • Bunch of random work keycards...
No love from any of them.

That a pretty small sample :D

Oh well, I guess it was worth a try. Baby steps I suppose. The one that I would like to see is Apple Watch (or other smart watches). It would be great to be able to use the watch NFC to open the door - easier backup than getting the card from the wallet and easier to have with you while working out/swimming/sailing/kayaking/etc. without needing to have your phone.

Side Note: We need a "sad" rating - strange giving a "like" for that and definitely not a "disagree."

So a bit more testing, turns out, I'm not allowed to delete the existing key cards that were given to me during delivery. When I hit "Delete" on a key card, it asks me to tap the console to confirm key card deletion. When I tap, it says something to the effect of "Cannot delete this key card. Please try a different key card."

I wonder if the system considers key cards added by Service to be different than if we get extra ones and add them ourselves?

Hm, so, I wonder what was the point of adding the trash can icon? What will that be used with? The fobs of course, so maybe it’s just a generic UI thing all the entries have. (I assume (!) we can add/delete our own fobs?)

I was going to rename our cards to know whose is whose, wonder if it wants a confirm for that?

I was going to rename our cards to know whose is whose, wonder if it wants a confirm for that?

Renaming the key cards, that were issued during delivery, did not require physical confirmation of the key card. — Though, putting one on the console to see which one is "active" makes it easier to know which one is which, before you rename them.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
So a bit more testing, turns out, I'm not allowed to delete the existing key cards that were given to me during delivery. When I hit "Delete" on a key card, it asks me to tap the console to confirm key card deletion. When I tap, it says something to the effect of "Cannot delete this key card. Please try a different key card."
Hm, I was wondering what would happen if you try to delete all key cards, since at least one working card is required to register a new card or a phone. I guess this answers that.
I wonder if the system considers key cards added by Service to be different than if we get extra ones and add them ourselves?
If that's the case, it'd probably be best to get an extra card to carry daily so you can easily deauthorize it if it's lost or stolen.

Reactions: Kermee
Ok. So I finally got 42.2 this evening and was able to test the key cards. I was able to successfully remove and re-add my key cards.

To remove a key card
1. Press the trash icon next to the key card you want to remove.
2. The screen will prompt you to place a key card by the cup holders. DO PLACE THE KEY YOU WANT TO DELETE THERE.
3. Place a DIFFERENT key card by the cup holders. This will remove the key card identified in Step 1.
4. You will get a notification on the phone app to let you know a key was removed.

To add a key card
1. Press the + sign to get to the Add menu and choose the Key card option.
2. Place your new key card by the cup holders.
3. The screen will prompt you to use an active key card and place it by the cup holders to confirm the new key.
4. You will get a notification on the phone app to let you know a key was added.

And that's it.

The car will remember the custom name of the key that was removed when it gets re-added also.

If only I could associated a specific card / phone / fob with a driver profile so that the seat would be adjusted correctly. Or is that possible already and I've missed something? Still on 2018.39.7 here.

I just checked my 2018.40.1 and there's no option in the Driver's Profile to link a key card. Just the "Easy Access" checkbox.

Maybe someone with 2018.42.2 can check?

I added the same key card to both cars. Now only 1 card is needed to lock and unlock both Model 3s. Now just want someone to test a RFID ring.

Thanks for trying this out. I know several people here had been wondering about this for a while. Very handy for those lucky enough to own multiple Model 3’s!