Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - When PCS is serviced, check Rear safety belts are bolted back in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IF YOU HAD YOUR PCS SERVICED, CHECK THAT YOUR SEAT BELTS ARE BOLTED INTO THE CAR

The PCS failed on my 2023 Model 3 on day ~5 of ownership. The car was towed to the service center as it was not drive-able, and Tesla fixed it about a week later.

During the fix, the techs apparently forgot to bolt the rear seat belts back in. (!!!!!). The middle belt was tucked under the seat but not secured. It came loose when I was installing a car seat back there.

There was a recall for this issue over the Summer, but apparently Tesla is not complying with it.

This is possibly the most horrifying thing I have ever had happen with any car, new or old. I am going to try to get Tesla to buy this car back.

Attachments

• seat_belt.jpeg
    seat_belt.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 384
California Lemon Law is more strict when death is a possibility. The factory f'd up the electrical system, and then the service center f'd up the repair. I don't know who to trust. I don't want this car anymore.

I dont think you are going to get anyone to go out on that limb with you to say that a PCS is a safety issue as it pertains to california lemon law, but good luck with that.

Regarding the PCS failure - it was not a "won't charge at 40A" kind of thing. It was a total 12v system failure with a "Pull Over Immediately" message. Whether or not that's a safety issue in the eyes of CA Lemon Law, I have no idea, but I'm very glad it happened in my driveway and not on the highway.

Want to buy out my lease?

I dont know what lease buy backs are called in Tesla land. In BMWs they are called "substitution of collateral". In a lease, you dont own it, so there is nothing to "buy back".

You would need to convince tesla that a failed PCS and a tech forgetting to tighten a bolt down constitute a reason for giving you another car (substituting another vehicle for the one you have on your lease).

Or, since its a lease, you ride it out, or, you swap it to someone else.

Those are the options, and I wish you luck in pursuing whichever you feel is appropriate for your situation.

Thank you. My hope is to be rid of the car and the brand altogether. This is worse than malaise-era GM. But as you say, perhaps I'll have to ride it out 3 years, wondering if some lack of QA protocol caused a serious issue that's going to kill my kids.

IF YOU HAD YOUR PCS SERVICED, CHECK THAT YOUR SEAT BELTS ARE BOLTED INTO THE CAR

The PCS failed on my 2023 Model 3 on day ~5 of ownership. The car was towed to the service center as it was not drive-able, and Tesla fixed it about a week later.

During the fix, the techs apparently forgot to bolt the rear seat belts back in. (!!!!!). The middle belt was tucked under the seat but not secured. It came loose when I was installing a car seat back there.

There was a recall for this issue over the Summer, but apparently Tesla is not complying with it.

This is possibly the most horrifying thing I have ever had happen with any car, new or old. I am going to try to get Tesla to buy this car back.
Tesla replaced my PCS board in warranty a year ago this past August. They did not reattach the center seat belt bolt. They had a recall on all vehicles that had the PCS replaced to fix/verify the seatbelt was/is properly attached. I had already fixed the problem but they needed to verify and document it was fixed properly. Since this is a safety related issue, the recall is a CYA for Tesla.

The recall ended, but they're still not bolting the seatbelts back in after PCS repair. I did not receive any recall notice after my December PCS repair. They seem to have just kind of stuffed the middle belt back between the seats so it looked like it was OK and sent me on my way.

I dont know what lease buy backs are called in Tesla land. In BMWs they are called "substitution of collateral". In a lease, you dont own it, so there is nothing to "buy back".

You would need to convince tesla that a failed PCS and a tech forgetting to tighten a bolt down constitute a reason for giving you another car (substituting another vehicle for the one you have on your lease).

Or, since its a lease, you ride it out, or, you swap it to someone else.

Those are the options, and I wish you luck in pursuing whichever you feel is appropriate for your situation.
Well, the PCS appears to have failed again for the second time in as many months. Check out the error messages this morning. And again we appear to have dodged a bullet, since the 12V system died overnight, and not while we were driving on the highway.

Attachments

• tesla_3.jpeg
    tesla_3.jpeg
    594.1 KB · Views: 52
  • tesla_1.jpeg
    tesla_1.jpeg
    688.1 KB · Views: 52
  • tesla_2.jpeg
    tesla_2.jpeg
    686.6 KB · Views: 60
Additionally, I'll again reiterate that the tech did not "forget to tighten down a bolt" like some kind of minor oopsie. They removed a bolt from the car on a critical safety system, and then did not reinstall it. The seatbelt was put back in position, between the seats, and appeared fine. When pulled on, the bolt-less safety belt came free of the seats, and came to rest in the position in the picture.

Additionally, I'll again reiterate that the tech did not "forget to tighten down a bolt" like some kind of minor oopsie. They removed a bolt from the car on a critical safety system, and then did not reinstall it. The seatbelt was put back in position, between the seats, and appeared fine. When pulled on, the bolt-less safety belt came free of the seats, and came to rest in the position in the picture.

if a tech doesnt tighten a Tire back down properly, and it flies off the car while driving, you could theoretically sue the company for the techs negligence, but you are not getting a vehicle buyback because of it.

Pretty much the same thing here, but You can definitely engage a legal representative and try.

Reactions: Rocky_H and GtiMart