Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA: Whole Foods, WiFi, and Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone who parks their MX in an area where it's not possible to get WiFi, I'm always looking for alternatives to reliability download software updates. I recently realized that the Whole Foods guest WiFi extends well into their parking lot, and there's no captive portal. I've validated this across several Bay Area locations.

I presume they needed to extend the WiFi for the tablets used by the curbside pickup team. Since there is no password or captive portal, one has to simply select it from the list of available WiFi networks, and they're all set. Each trip into a Whole Foods is plenty of time to download the next update, and once I'm home, I'll schedule the update to run at night.

As someone who parks their MX in an area where it's not possible to get WiFi, I'm always looking for alternatives to reliability download software updates. I recently realized that the Whole Foods guest WiFi extends well into their parking lot, and there's no captive portal. I've validated this across several Bay Area locations.

I presume they needed to extend the WiFi for the tablets used by the curbside pickup team. Since there is no password or captive portal, one has to simply select it from the list of available WiFi networks, and they're all set. Each trip into a Whole Foods is plenty of time to download the next update, and once I'm home, I'll schedule the update to run at night.
This is a great tip - thanks for sharing! As an apartment dweller on the fifth floor with a MY parked two stories below ground, that's seven stories of concrete that no wifi is penetrating. Just curious, is there a way to force the download to start while you're at Whole Foods (similar to the way you can manually start an iOS update on iPhone) or do you just have to wait and hope it gets pushed down?

Reactions: Janus
This is a great tip - thanks for sharing! As an apartment dweller on the fifth floor with a MY parked two stories below ground, that's seven stories of concrete that no wifi is penetrating. Just curious, is there a way to force the download to start while you're at Whole Foods (similar to the way you can manually start an iOS update on iPhone) or do you just have to wait and hope it gets pushed down?
You'll get a notification in the phone app when a software update is available for your car. At that point go park it wherever it gets WiFi, connect to WiFi, and the software page should start downloading.

In the settings screen, select the Software tab. You'll see it spin for a sec, and then tell you if the software is current. That basically forces the car to check for updates.

Please note, even if there's a newer update available, the car won't download it until it's released for its specific VIN (which can takes days/weeks after the initial release for everyone to be eligible).