Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA You will NOT get into the FSD beta if you already have 2022.24 or higher.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Iv seen many posts about people asking about how Tesla picks who gets in and who doesn't, so I thought I'd try and clear up one point that i keep seeing brought up.

A big factor for people who say they have high scores and have alot of autopilot miles seems to be their software version.

FSD is currently attached to 2022.20.18 and Tesla does not downgrade vehicles' software, so if you had a higher version of that when FSD was released you would have been immediately disqualified for that release and beta group.
I know for me, i was already at .24 (and am now .28)when 10.69 came out so i was out of luck and many others are in the same boat without them realizing it.

If you are always ahead of the FSD software version you will never get into the beta.

We don't know if the next FSD 10.69.X will be on 2022.24 or .28 (its almost definitely not 2022.36 because it seems like they are releasing a new bugfix patch every day) but people will need to once again be lower than that version to get it.

I'm not sure if it will work but one thing I tried is switching from advanced to standard software updates. I went from an update or two a week, to not having one since September. This will hopefully change me from always getting the newest software, to keeping me on a known stable version, which they are using for FSD and ideally it gets tacked on to my 2022.28, or I get it when 36 becomes the stable one.

Hopefully this is helpful to anyone who is still waiting. Good luck!

I don’t think this is correct. FSD beta is almost always lagging behind production versions, and so many that first get FSD beta are going back. In fact, just doing a quick search on TeslaFi.com shows a 2022.16.2 car still waiting to install 2022.12.3.20 (FSD beta)

I don’t think this is correct. FSD beta is almost always lagging behind production versions, and so many that first get FSD beta are going back. In fact, just doing a quick search on TeslaFi.com shows a 2022.16.2 car still waiting to install 2022.12.3.20 (FSD beta)
Those are old versions, but based on other reports, the OP is correct. The latest FSD Beta build is 2022.20.18, and if you’ve already installed a newer build, you won’t get 20.18.

Reactions: SilverString
The speculation/hope is that 10.69.3 will be based on 2022.28.x, which will open up FSDb for lots of us who had updated to 2022.28.x just before the last big push. For me, I still have my software set to Advanced, but will not install a newer version if one gets pushed my way. One interesting thought is that those of us on 2022.28.x with a high Safety Score have already been flagged to receive 10.69.3, and thus won't be seeing the "normal" software pushes that everyone else is getting. This seems plausible, but I might be giving Tesla too much credit... For me, when 2022.36.1 was rolling out, I received a message saying it was ready for downloading. I wasn't connected to WiFi at the time, so it didn't automatically download. A short time later (less than an hour), this notification went away, and I haven't been notified that this version was going to be downloaded for my car since. So my speculation is that Tesla has tagged my car for the FSDb upgrade, and knows not to push standard updates to it for now. Hmmm...

The speculation/hope is that 10.69.3 will be based on 2022.28.x, which will open up FSDb for lots of us who had updated to 2022.28.x just before the last big push. For me, I still have my software set to Advanced, but will not install a newer version if one gets pushed my way. One interesting thought is that those of us on 2022.28.x with a high Safety Score have already been flagged to receive 10.69.3, and thus won't be seeing the "normal" software pushes that everyone else is getting. This seems plausible, but I might be giving Tesla too much credit... For me, when 2022.36.1 was rolling out, I received a message saying it was ready for downloading. I wasn't connected to WiFi at the time, so it didn't automatically download. A short time later (less than an hour), this notification went away, and I haven't been notified that this version was going to be downloaded for my car since. So my speculation is that Tesla has tagged my car for the FSDb upgrade, and knows not to push standard updates to it for now. Hmmm...
I am on the same thought process. I'm on 2022.24.13 and got offered .28.2. I ignored it hoping to wait for the beta and a day later it was no longer offered to me. Of course who knows at the end of the day but waiting can't hurt.

Just read your post on your conversation with a Tesla rep… not sure if I agree…

Technicall what the rep said was true, that your place in FSD beta queue will not be affected. However, if your current firmware version is higher than what the beta branch is, your car won’t downgrade itself to a lower version just so it can be on the beta. You may have reached your queue position but your car just can’t use an older firmware.

I have been subscribing to FSD beta for several months now. I started my subscription when I had 2022.26.x. After I started I got a couple of 2022.28.x updates and after 2022.28.2 I stopped receiving anything newer. I believe by that time I have reached my queue because I haven’t gotten any newer firmware push and people seems be now on 2022.36.x. And I still don’t have FSD. Based on what the rep told you, applied to my situation, my car should allow me to go back to 2022.20.x which is where the beta version is currently. But based on what I understand, it is just not possible to go back down to a lower version.

Again I can be completely wrong with this but I am just speaking off my personal experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: cfl246tho
if your current firmware version is higher than what the beta branch is, your car won’t downgrade itself to a lower version just so it can be on the beta.

I was skeptical and aware of the points you make. I've read them many places. So I asked him multiple times, multiple ways to be sure. He tried hard to assure me that they do and they will roll back and install the FSDb build. I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic. His knowledge and mastery of multiple subjects was convincing. SO, I'll see. Since the consensus differs, I agree this might not be correct. The proof will be someone reporting an example that confirms his assertions.

I’m on 2022.28.2
Just saw on the app that 2022.36.5 is downloading (my software update preference is set to “standard”)
Will ignoring this not not letting it update prevent this from impacting my getting the beta or is just having it downloaded an issue?
I believe as long as you don't actually install the downloaded update, you'll be fine. There are others who say that the fact that Tesla is pushing 2022.36.5 to you means that you aren't actually in the queue to receive FSDb with the next push (10.69.3). I don't know about that. It's possible that 10.69.3 will be based on 2022.36.x, and it won't matter. If it were me, though, I'd be sure not to install that update while waiting for FSDb. I'm on 2022.28.2 right now, and haven't gotten pushed any updates for several weeks, which I'm hoping is a good sign I'm in line for FSDb.

I believe as long as you don't actually install the downloaded update, you'll be fine. There are others who say that the fact that Tesla is pushing 2022.36.5 to you means that you aren't actually in the queue to receive FSDb with the next push (10.69.3). I don't know about that. It's possible that 10.69.3 will be based on 2022.36.x, and it won't matter. If it were me, though, I'd be sure not to install that update while waiting for FSDb. I'm on 2022.28.2 right now, and haven't gotten pushed any updates for several weeks, which I'm hoping is a good sign I'm in line for FSDb.
I agree. I’m not installing anything unit. We know the facts on 10.69.3.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
I think OP's observation is accurate. Right after updating to 2022.28.2 I applied for FSD beta. That was around October first week and I never saw any more update after that. I'm currently averaging 91 safety score and it's hard to believe I haven't received any update ranging from 2022.36 through 2022.40. Circumstantially seems right. I just hope next FSD beta is based on 2022.28 or newer.

Since past few Beta jumped 4 or 8 version number, next could be 2022.24 based or 2022.28. And considering that there's 0 cars on 2022.24 based software, but 16% (per TeslaFi) of cars stuck on 2022.28.2, with high confidence I can say that next beta will be based on 2022.28.2 compatible version.

I think OP's observation is accurate. Right after updating to 2022.28.2 I applied for FSD beta. That was around October first week and I never saw any more update after that. I'm currently averaging 91 safety score and it's hard to believe I haven't received any update ranging from 2022.36 through 2022.40. Circumstantially seems right. I just hope next FSD beta is based on 2022.28 or newer.

Since past few Beta jumped 4 or 8 version number, next could be 2022.24 based or 2022.28. And considering that there's 0 cars on 2022.24 based software, but 16% (per TeslaFi) of cars stuck on 2022.28.2, with high confidence I can say that next beta will be based on 2022.28.2 compatible version.

Reactions: Jeffsstuff
Looks like the latest beta is based on the 2022.36 build.

31E0A97C-A09A-4520-92FD-172B97B1C122.jpeg

I was nervous about this too and have been staying at 2022.28.2. But it looks like (from the patch notes that were released last night) the beta is based on .36
A51E76FC-9657-43CF-B6CB-31D201A599FC.jpeg

Reactions: zsunsun
I'm going for an update. If at worst this will delay me from getting FSD for 3 to 4 weeks. But if this update is prerequisite for receiving 2022.36.15 then I must install it to get the FSD.

I'll report back tomorrow once it updates.

• Funny
Reactions: KArnold