Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Psychology Behind the Love of Engine Noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I see a lot of comments on Tesla-related YouTube videos where people say they can't live without engine noise and will never go electric because of it. I used to be a petrol head and I must say that I do appreciate the sound of an engine, but I don't really know why. There has to be some kind of connection that can explain it.

I'd be interested to hear some opinions on this from the community.

P.S. I have moved-on and like the smooth and quiet power delivery of Tesla more than I like engine sound.

I think it's because evolutionary thing way before cars. Big and powerful animals made loud noises. Small and weak creatures are the quiet ones. If you were the hunter in the tribe you would be more status if by killing big animals.

Figuratively speaking "hunters" in our society need something to give them more status. Would you drive something where half the neighborhood can hear you drive by or something where no one knows you just drove by.

It's just a guess

My opinion is that it used to be that a powerful car had to be noisy. Muffler technology made quiet exhaust a trade off. Today, I can change the exhaust (and intake) on my F150 and it will make no more horsepower. Used to be that changing exhaust always offered power gains. In addition, race cars were loud for the same reason (as well as lightness). I used to fly glow powered model airplanes. When I changed to electric I had the same emotion for a short time then got over it pretty quickly when I experienced the performance. Others at the flying field had the same experience. So I just tell people that they will get over it. I don't think they believe me but its true.

It's basically sadomasochism....think fifty shades of grey.... but more like this...

"the exhaust notes were like getting farted on by Rosanne in a thong, as the languishing acceleration allowed the cabin to fill with cancerous gases. Oooooo that's hot..... really hot..... like I think there is a fire in here. no seriously..... something is burning.... and it's asphixiyating me with the carbon monoxide..... oh god..... oh god..... what's the safe word? "Hemi! Hemi!".... Look, someone brought out a Hellcat with a ball in it's mouth ooooo Pulp fiction gimp reference.... Rooooooarrrrr! Oh god! "

Does that answer your question OP?

Louder and lower pitched is more powerful, and draws attention. Or V12 is just precision mechanical. But pretty much a learned reaction I think.

Tesla's quiet acceleration is fantastic for mashing the pedal any time you want. No worries the noise is going to alert a nearby cop or wake the neighborhood. No drama. And very smooth (if you don't have a shuddering X). I grew up in and pretty much owned only Porsches, though I never made them louder. I love the silence.

Reactions: DavidB and gavine
Louder and lower pitched is more powerful, and draws attention. Or V12 is just precision mechanical. But pretty much a learned reaction I think.

Tesla's quiet acceleration is fantastic for mashing the pedal any time you want. No worries the noise is going to alert a nearby cop or wake the neighborhood. No drama. And very smooth (if you don't have a shuddering X). I grew up in and pretty much owned only Porsches, though I never made them louder. I love the silence.
my answer was better

If I could remember who posted it, I'd dig it up. If the poster is here, then maybe he'll/she'll chime in. In the pre-X era (I think), the post went something like this...

(Paraphrasing..)
I was a bit apprehensive that I'd miss the engine sound. Soon after driving the Tesla it became clear to me that years of experience has conditioned me to associate the engine sound with the torque / acceleration, when it was actually the torque / acceleration that I was enjoying and appreciating.

The original post captured it better than I did, so much so that I reference it periodically when talking to potential first time EV owners that have the same concern. And then I tell them to put their heads on the headrest ("seriously!"), after confirming no one is pregnant or has neck or back issues. Pedal to the floor, wait for … "And here's the speed limit + a little" ... and then release the accelerator slightly. The engine sound concern discussion is never revisited for the rest of the ride. ;)

Reactions: Dre78 and gavine
Would you drive something where half the neighborhood can hear you drive by or something where no one knows you just drove by.
The petrolhead down my street is a prime example. 6 AM, every other weekend, to go drink coffee with his petrolhead friends. :mad: I get wanting a powerful car, I get enjoying a loud car (although I don't enjoy it), but driving through a neighborhood at 6 AM? :mad:

The petrolhead down my street is a prime example. 6 AM, every other weekend, to go drink coffee with his petrolhead friends. :mad: I get wanting a powerful car, I get enjoying a loud car (although I don't enjoy it), but driving through a neighborhood at 6 AM? :mad:

It's fascinating how being the person making the noise makes people think other folks feel like them.... It's like singing in your car.... you actually start to believe you got the moves like Jagger.... the moooooooveeees like Jagger.....

Reactions: DavidB

I hear you. I have a neighbor that has a loud truck. Even at 6 houses away when he turns into our street I can hear him. The damn truck is going only 25mph.

Reactions: David99
... Most higher end luxury cars contain sound damping to remove all noise, including engine noise, from the cabin. Manufacturers go so far as to research and employ active noise cancellation. Personally, I've always wanted a quiet cabin.

My opinion is in agreement with everyone else it seems: "mine is bigger than yours" psychology. People want others to hear the car, but not hear it themselves.

By far, @buttershrimp has the best explanation.

People associate loud engines with fast cars, just like the associate big wheels with great handling.
Racers began to fit larger wheels to fit ever larger brakes. Posers just put on the big wheels to emulate racing cars, but never got around to fitting the bigger brakes. Became known as Posers.

The fast racing cars make lots of noise to enhance motor output and efficiency. The drivers use earplugs and helmets to attenuate the noise as it induces fatigue and anxiety. The posers just add the noise, but rarely benefit from the additional performance on the street. It mostly just annoys everyone within earshot and draws unwanted attention from police. Motorcyclists do the same thing.

The highest potential for high performance driving would be a very quiet, and low vibration vehicle. The drive would not be distracted by the engine noise, but could better apply maxumum braking and hear the tires working. They would be more attuned to the speed and optimize handling without all the distraction.

Making noise may be fun, but it totally caused distracted driving. Driver is not attuned to things going on around them. Cannot hear warning signs, other motorists, pedestrians shouts or any other sounds.

Reactions: gavine
Next time one of these "petrol heads" come by just ask:

"So your car still has a non-synchronized manual transmission I assume? Because real petrol heads dubble-clutch. They need the raw input from the engine to have a real conversation with of when to change gears. That is real emotional driving".

"...what, you don't? why not?"

Reactions: DavidB
Powerful and dangerous is associated with loud sound. A loud engine is associated with lots of power. The driver controlling a powerful machine. Makes them feel powerful and superior.

For people that drive excessive loud cars or loud motorcycles, the desire for attention is part of it. Certainly negative attention, but I think that's what they enjoy. Kind of like kids who are being annoying and doing things that they know upsets others. But that's a small group. I think the majority of people who enjoy engine noise are just associating it with power. Once they feel the power of an EV they will be happy.

Reactions: gavine and DavidB