Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Psychotic locking at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I got my MX home one pet peeve that developed is the constant lock/unlock when I walk around my garage. I typically have the fob in my pocket going into and out from the garage from the house. Especially bringing things from the car into the house this is really annoying.

If the car interface could be set to geofence the garage, a much longer walk away lock/unlock period would be really helpful. Say 15 minutes to remain in the current mode unless you activate via the fob.

This would minimize the beeps and flapping in/out of the mirrors too.

Any other solutions?

Reactions: EVger
I agree that it would be nice to find a solution for this as well, but a geofence is difficult because you would want to make sure the car locks if you leave it in your driveway, but doesn't lock in the garage. I don't think geofences are that accurate yet... they've got maybe a 50 or 100 foot radius at best.

But I've just decided that the car is just saying hello to me when it lights up every time I walk into the garage. It definitely gets annoying when I need to go into and out of the garage a few times in a row though. It's also annoying the few times I don't happen to have my key on me, but I walk out to the garage expecting to get something out of or put something into the car and find it locked.

I agree that it would be nice to find a solution for this as well, but a geofence is difficult because you would want to make sure the car locks if you leave it in your driveway, but doesn't lock in the garage. I don't think geofences are that accurate yet... they've got maybe a 50 or 100 foot radius at best.

But I've just decided that the car is just saying hello to me when it lights up every time I walk into the garage. It definitely gets annoying when I need to go into and out of the garage a few times in a row though. It's also annoying the few times I don't happen to have my key on me, but I walk out to the garage expecting to get something out of or put something into the car and find it locked.
If the car is on the driveway, the owner should be aware of the car is not being locked (at this location) and will lock it manually. I don't see any issue with it. The trouble of locking the car inside the garage automatically is far greater.

Reactions: EVger
Ever since I got my MX home one pet peeve that developed is the constant lock/unlock when I walk around my garage. I typically have the fob in my pocket going into and out from the garage from the house. Especially bringing things from the car into the house this is really annoying.

If the car interface could be set to geofence the garage, a much longer walk away lock/unlock period would be really helpful. Say 15 minutes to remain in the current mode unless you activate via the fob.

This would minimize the beeps and flapping in/out of the mirrors too.

Any other solutions?
take the key out of your pocket?

Reactions: FarmerDave
I'm totally down with plugsuvohio's idea. If it's on the driveway it'll still lock after 15 minutes.
I have put the fob in the door pull cavity on the drivers door to keep it from going on and off. But then, I drive away, go to the store, come out and realize the key is still in the door and anybody could have driven the car away! I haven't tried leaving it on the workbench and then driving away...

I'm totally down with plugsuvohio's idea. If it's on the driveway it'll still lock after 15 minutes.
I have put the fob in the door pull cavity on the drivers door to keep it from going on and off. But then, I drive away, go to the store, come out and realize the key is still in the door and anybody could have driven the car away! I haven't tried leaving it on the workbench and then driving away...
I leave my fob in the car too....along with spare batteries. I'm in the new habit of using my phone to lock if I'm out in public somewhere, (used to leave it unlocked) otherwise my car is unlocked.