Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PTC Heater & FJB extraction from dual motor car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, I haven't pursued toolbox* yet. Looks costly and sounds like the diag feature maybe reduced according to some threads. Given the high expense involved, not too much info available.
@howard64 you like to split the cost? As far as the hardware goes beside the cable do you have the 100/1000 Base T1 media? Here is my # 6308542729 lets connect with each other.

Heater replaced. I have the newer gen FJB on my car.

The top 4 screws are easily accessible, the bottom 5 not so much. Going to have to make a plan for taking them off. Anyone who opened one of these got pointers?

Screenshot_20230110_200729_eBay.jpg

20230108_211341.jpg

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Heater replaced. I have the newer gen FJB on my car.

The top 4 screws are easily accessible, the bottom 5 not so much. Going to have to make a plan for taking them off. Anyone who opened one of these got pointers?

View attachment 894417

View attachment 894418
Check for the blown fuse, there should be 2 or 3 fuses, one is for the PTC. Make sure you replace the PTC heater element as well. For the bottom screws instructions tells you to drop the HV battery, but if you use a borescope help you guide the bolts in.

Check for the blown fuse, there should be 2 or 3 fuses, one is for the PTC. Make sure you replace the PTC heater element as well. For the bottom screws instructions tells you to drop the HV battery, but if you use a borescope help you guide the bolts in.

Yep I replaced the heater the other day. Wasn't too bad. Just had to figure out how the trim comes together in the footwell and remove the knee airbag.

Did you leave the FJB bolted to the car? The wiring harness is in the way of accessing some of the screws and appears hard to move. Wondering what I should do about that.

Did you leave the FJB bolted to the car? The wiring harness is in the way of accessing some of the screws and appears hard to move. Wondering what I should do about that.
Fun job right? lol

I removed some the mounting screws from the FJB to get more clearance.

Take your time and have your magnet on a stick ready.

Yep I replaced the heater the other day. Wasn't too bad. Just had to figure out how the trim comes together in the footwell and remove the knee airbag.

See if you can find the wire loom clips unclip them to get more slack out of them. Honestly it is a little time consuming job with the HV battery not removed. Take your time with it.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Working on opening the FJB. Not easy!

I got the top mount off but I cant seem to find a tool to get at the bottom two mounts to loosen them so that I can have more space to work with.

Also, I'm pretty sure I can open it and get the bolts off. But how the hell do you get them back on when putting it together? I can't even reach that far!

Screenshot_20230114_210206_Telegram.jpg

I can get the green highlighted off but the red are a real challenge. How do you get them back on after?

Why did they make this so hard!

@Gtech, I commend you on being able to do this. I've done full engine rebuilds and yet these 2 bolts that hold the FJB at the bottom are proving way too hard for me to remove, or maybe my hands are too big. Am just about ready to give up here. I think the gen1 FJB below the wiper motor was easier to get at because it was a bit higher up on the car. Probably why Tesla redesigned it, so it's harder to work on.
20230115154157.jpg

So close yet so far away.

You're almost there hang on.

Did you try using a long extension as @Wazmat mentioned?
Yes I have, but the the swivel socket I used allows me to swivel almost 90 degrees which allowed me to use a longer extension. But its best to use a small extension with a long socket and drive the screw in. It's not an easy task that is for sure. Just too much stuff in the way.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Made progress? Did you learned any new swear words on the way? 🙂

Left to Mexico for a few months, so the Tesla is parked until summer. And I have plenty of time before I have to drive in the cold again.

Too hard and not enough time to get tools that will fit.

I look forward to seeing what tools people used on this second gen FJB.

I condemn the engineer who created this design of putting a fuse under a lid facing the firewall to a life of pain and suffering.

Left to Mexico for a few months, so the Tesla is parked until summer. And I have plenty of time before I have to drive in the cold again.

Too hard and not enough time to get tools that will fit.

I look forward to seeing what tools people used on this second gen FJB.

I condemn the engineer who created this design of putting a fuse under a lid facing the firewall to a life of pain and suffering.
Model X has a sort of the same FJB but it is placed with the lid on the other side. Not sure why they choose to do otherwise with Model S.

1675104714843.png

2021+ has no FJB anymore.