Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PTC heater woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I fixed my defroster flap and now I have a new issue. NO HEAT. I ordered the DCDC fuses in case those were bad and almost bought a used PTC. I hooked up scanmytesla and am observing some interesting behavior with the HEATER R sensor and PTC air heater. HEATER R shows 415 degrees F and PTC air heater is at 0%. Temp is set at to HI. HEATER R will show 55 degrees for about 20 seconds and PTC air heater will jump to 73%. Then HEATER R will indicate 415 degrees F and PTC air heater will drop to 0% for 80 seconds. So I'm guessing I have an erroneous HEATER R probe. Problem is I don't know the location pf the sensor. I can feel the air get warm on the passenger side so I believe the PTC is working. I pulled the connection from the Floor vent sensor and it showed 5 degrees. I then pulled the connection to the upper sensor and Mid vent R went to 5 degrees. Is there a temp sensor adjacent to the PTC air flow? Anyone else see this kind of behavior?

2013 Model S, 112,000 miles

This morning it was 43 F outside. I turned on preheat and set to 80 degrees and it took 30 minutes to get to 60 degrees. I drive to work and about ten minutes on the highway I notice warm air coming from the vents. Set climate to auto and car quickly gets to 80 degrees. Damn gremlins lol. So now I know the PTC is functioning and the fuse is good. Must be the erroneous sensor.

Ok so my heat hasn't been working for a couple of days now. SMT shows 415 again for Heater R. I took the trim panels off and pulled the PTC plug (power to board and canbus). It still showed 415. I then closed SMT and restarted it low and behold both Heater sensors disappeared. So I think I've narrowed the issue to a faulty temp sensor inside the PTC. I'll probably get a replacement PTC and swap them out. I know about Gen3 versions requiring an update so I'm going with a previous part number.

So I fixed my defroster flap and now I have a new issue. NO HEAT. I ordered the DCDC fuses in case those were bad and almost bought a used PTC. I hooked up scanmytesla and am observing some interesting behavior with the HEATER R sensor and PTC air heater. HEATER R shows 415 degrees F and PTC air heater is at 0%. Temp is set at to HI. HEATER R will show 55 degrees for about 20 seconds and PTC air heater will jump to 73%. Then HEATER R will indicate 415 degrees F and PTC air heater will drop to 0% for 80 seconds. So I'm guessing I have an erroneous HEATER R probe. Problem is I don't know the location pf the sensor. I can feel the air get warm on the passenger side so I believe the PTC is working. I pulled the connection from the Floor vent sensor and it showed 5 degrees. I then pulled the connection to the upper sensor and Mid vent R went to 5 degrees. Is there a temp sensor adjacent to the PTC air flow? Anyone else see this kind of behavior?

2013 Model S, 112,000 miles

Interesting story. I also have a strange reading while fast charging. I bought a 2020 Model 3 Performance in June last year (manufactured in November 2019) and I'm using ScanMyTesla for about 6 months now and apart from the odd SW update triggered deviations, I've noticed something consistently strange while DC fast-charging.
My front and rear stator temperatures always peak to values I've not seen/hear of before.
At my last DC fast-charging session when I was receiving less than 30 kW (due to relatively high SoC). It shows a front stator temp of 127 degrees celsius and a rear stator temp of 99 degrees. This seems unusually high to me.
Is this something that others also measure or do you think there is something wrong??? Please let me know.
While AC charging I have normal stator temp readings.
Please note that due to the new 10.3 SW update ScanMyTesla is reporting strange Max discharge power values as well as incorrect SoC values.
Although I wanted to add a screenshot of the ScanMyTesla readings, I have no idea how to do that (the camera icon doesn't work for me)

Interesting story. I also have a strange reading while fast charging. I bought a 2020 Model 3 Performance in June last year (manufactured in November 2019) and I'm using ScanMyTesla for about 6 months now and apart from the odd SW update triggered deviations, I've noticed something consistently strange while DC fast-charging.
My front and rear stator temperatures always peak to values I've not seen/hear of before.
At my last DC fast-charging session when I was receiving less than 30 kW (due to relatively high SoC). It shows a front stator temp of 127 degrees celsius and a rear stator temp of 99 degrees. This seems unusually high to me.
Is this something that others also measure or do you think there is something wrong??? Please let me know.
While AC charging I have normal stator temp readings.
Please note that due to the new 10.3 SW update ScanMyTesla is reporting strange Max discharge power values as well as incorrect SoC values.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210111-104505.jpg
    Screenshot_20210111-104505.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 197
I'll probably get a replacement PTC and swap them out. I know about Gen3 versions requiring an update so I'm going with a previous part number.
What part number did you end up going with? Tesla wants to replace mine (January 2013 S85) with 1041265-00-F, but I'm planning to do it myself and I can't find that part available. Do you know if the PTC part numbers are compatible, other than the shorter wires? I see a lot of 6007385-00-J (and similar) available, but I'm not sure I can use them.