Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PTO LADWP 6 weeks + for permission to operate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My solar panel project passed inspection over 5 weeks ago, and they have not yet provided the permission to operate. My representative explained today he cannot confirm that Tesla sent the PTO application to LADWP - he found no confirmation this was done.
Has anyone else experienced similar delays and disorganization?

My account was paid in full, but when I login to my account it shows unpaid - a discrepancy my advisor cannot explain. He has not been able to correct in 5 weeks. He said this does not affect the PTO.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Hmm... "payment not effecting PTO application from tesla to the Utility" doesnt sound like a statement many of us here have experienced. It was my experience, and everyone elses here who chose to share their tesla purchasing experience, that tesla required payment before submitting for PTO.

Tesla being tesla, however, they definitely many times have the "right hand doesnt know what the left is doing" type thing. Not out of malice, just either overwork, or sheer workload (or sometimes indifference / incompetence from a specific employee, no different than many other businesses).

The only part that sounds strange to me is the statement that your payment situation doesnt impact PTO. Based on what you have posted, my guess (stressing "guess" here ) is that something to do with your account not showing paid is actually holding up your PTO application.

My suggestion would be to see if you can get in touch with someone in billing for tesla energy and have them check your account, vs your advisor. Have your proof of payment handy. Not showing a large purchase paid on their end when it is shown on my end would drive me to distraction.

Good luck, let us know how it comes out.

FWIW, Sunrun had one of their VPs interviewed on the local news here to explain why so many installs are slipping beyond original timelines. She asserted that there are numerous Sunrun customers who had their PV + Battery installations completed and inspected during August/September, but the homeowner still has not received PTO from PG&E due to the various complexities being encountered around all the actual fires and future fire mitigation.

So somebody out there feels confident enough to go on the record and pass the buck of blame onto the Utilities and fire codes.

Hmm... "payment not effecting PTO application from tesla to the Utility" doesnt sound like a statement many of us here have experienced. It was my experience, and everyone elses here who chose to share their tesla purchasing experience, that tesla required payment before submitting for PTO.

Tesla being tesla, however, they definitely many times have the "right hand doesnt know what the left is doing" type thing. Not out of malice, just either overwork, or sheer workload (or sometimes indifference / incompetence from a specific employee, no different than many other businesses).

The only part that sounds strange to me is the statement that your payment situation doesnt impact PTO. Based on what you have posted, my guess (stressing "guess" here ) is that something to do with your account not showing paid is actually holding up your PTO application.

My suggestion would be to see if you can get in touch with someone in billing for tesla energy and have them check your account, vs your advisor. Have your proof of payment handy. Not showing a large purchase paid on their end when it is shown on my end would drive me to distraction.

EDIT -- the above comment is solely for Tesla installs. Third party installers may (and do) handle their billing differently.

EDIT -- the above comment is solely for Tesla installs. Third party installers may (and do) handle their billing differently.

Yeah, I figure Tesla and Sunrun do things differently. Similarly I'm sure SCE and PG&E zones have different requirements.

I was just pointing out in the Bay Area Sunrun is blaming PG&E and the stricter fire codes.

One interesting thing about Sunrun being different than Tesla is that Sunrun wouldn't accept payment by any other means other than credit card. I couldn't do a check, bank wire, or ACH even if I wanted to.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
My solar panel project passed inspection over 5 weeks ago, and they have not yet provided the permission to operate. My representative explained today he cannot confirm that Tesla sent the PTO application to LADWP - he found no confirmation this was done.
Has anyone else experienced similar delays and disorganization?

My account was paid in full, but when I login to my account it shows unpaid - a discrepancy my advisor cannot explain. He has not been able to correct in 5 weeks. He said this does not affect the PTO.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Hi,

Can you check and see what the LADWP status page says for your location?

Main Page - LADWP Electical Service Installation Status Tracker

Regards,

GHTech

Actually payment isn’t always due before PTO. Depends on when and what your contract said. Our contract was signed at the beginning of the year and we had to pay 50% up front when they showed up and our final half is due after we get PTO. We confirmed and reconfirmed this several times with them that in our case it was due after PTO and not inspection. We also were told our paperwork was submitted on Oct 5. Suppose to hear back with PTO in early November.

Tesla did change how installs were paid sometime after our contract and was told that newer purchases didn’t have to do a 50% split, just all due at inspection time, after which they would submit your application to the utility. Now ours is also with PG&E so possible who your utility is could affect that too.