Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Public Beta for Starlink Internet Service Coming Soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk said the company plans to roll out a public beta of its Starlink broadband service soon.

Musk said on Twitter that a “fairly wide” beta version of the service will be ready for action as soon as the latest satellites “reach their target position.”Musk said the service will provide internet to the northern United States and “hopefully” southern Canada.

SpaceX is building a constellation of satellites to beam internet service around the world. Musk has said Starlink will require about 12,000 satellites to reach that scale. SpaceX tweeted earlier this month that initial tests of Starlink show speeds capable of streaming “multiple HD movies at once and still have bandwidth to spare.”

SpaceX has grown the Starlink constellation to around 800 satellites to date, including 60 that were delivered Tuesday in the 13th Starlink mission to date.

A tweet last week from Washington state’s Military Department and Emergency Management Division revealed the first known application of the service. Starlink was employed to provide service to emergency responders battling wildfires in Washington state. SpaceX Chief Executive Musk replied, saying the company is “prioritizing emergency responders & locations with no Internet connectivity at all.”

Photo: SpaceX

Last edited by a moderator:
"....speeds capable of streaming “multiple HD movies at once and still have bandwidth to spare.”

Generally, you need 5 mbs to stream HD, so if by "multiple" Musk means 2, then we're looking at 10 mbs for Starlink plus whatever "bandwidth to spare" means.

I'm not complaining though. Where my vacation house is, using TDS, I'm currently getting 1 or 2 mbs.

How can Starlink be reached to apply for the Beta test? I live in the mountains in a community of about 200 people. Lat 45.9131789 , Long-113.7415134

In our community we have no cellular service, no internet except for dial-up modems, no DSL, a POTS phone service that is very noisy and unusable in rain, no FM or any other kind of broadcast service. Satellite internet is expensive and poor quality. We would like to be involved in testing from our remote home.

Thank you,
Larry

SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk said the company plans to roll out a public beta of its Starlink broadband service soon. Musk said on Twitter that a “fairly wide” beta version of the service will be ready for action as soon as the latest satellites “reach their target position.”Musk said the service will provide internet...
READ FULL ARTICLE
Oh Yes, please~~ I am dumping my COX service soon as I can get my hands on the Starlink!

Last edited by a moderator:
How can Starlink be reached to apply for the Beta test? I live in the mountains in a community of about 200 people. Lat 45.9131789 , Long-113.7415134

In our community we have no cellular service, no internet except for dial-up modems, no DSL, a POTS phone service that is very noisy and unusable in rain, no FM or any other kind of broadcast service. Satellite internet is expensive and poor quality. We would like to be involved in testing from our remote home.

Thank you,
Larry

You live in Mongolia?

For those asking about the multiple HD streams comment from Musk:

On September 3, 2020, SpaceX engineer Kate Tice said that they are “well into the private testing phase” and that testers have reported download speeds higher than 100 Mbps, which is fast enough for “multiple HD video streams with bandwidth to spare.”

Latitude 38 and ready for Beta. Please sign me up or tell us how to sign up. Soooo ready for Starlink especially for my Model S. I live where there are lots of canyons and no internet or phone service in those canyons.

It depends on how he is getting 'cable'. As remote as Sula, MT is, the cable is probably a microwave relay that will be affected by weather and other atmospheric conditions.

The guy from Montana does not have cable at all. Starlink will be great for him. Regular cable users (Comcast and other hated ISPs) will have too high a population density to use Starlink.

Starlink will be very effective for remotes that have very poor to no Internet, and remote mobile, such as airplanes, long haul trucking, ships, transoceanic yachts, military, etc. The amount of shipping and air traffic in greater Los Angeles will absorb essentially all the Starlink capacity, leaving very little bandwidth for fixed residential.

Hey, RVTechNomad, go sign up at Starlink.

Reactions: bxr140

Thank you,
Larry

Thank you,
Larry
from your Lat Lon it appears you are in Mongolia in the middle of nowhere. Yes?