Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public BP Chargemaster Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve tried using a BP Chargemaster/Pulse public charger a couple of times, at different locations. The first time it took me 15 minutes to get the car to charge, and today I couldn’t get it to charge at all.

The BP app says to connect your car to the charge point and then initiate the charging session. The car would wait a while for the charge to start, and when it starts it would be at 0kw and then end abruptly with an error on the screen saying the charging station isn’t providing power.

Am I missing something really obvious with using them, or the order in which you’re supposed to plug cables in/start charge? I spoke to BP support earlier and they couldn’t get the car to charge even after remotely forcing the chargepoint to start a charge.

Away with the wife and boy today and for no reason got my first range anxiety so decided to charge at the hotel. I popped out during dinner and When I got back my 4 year old asked “where have you been daddy?”. Took near 15 mins to get the thing to work. I utterly hate all 3rd party chargers. They don’t work unless you have the patience if a saint - which I don’t.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
I used BP Pulse chargers a few times and the app is misleading. You need to follow the instructions on the charger.

You have to wait until you activate your card and choose the CCS connector. After you do those two things it should give you a message to plug in.

They can be temperamental but when they work they are pretty good. If you have local ones you get used to which work, which stop working and quickly switch to a new one and apopt that as your favourite!

PS that is using a card and not off the app.

You need to check your bill too. BP tried to charge me for putting about 60kw imto a half full SR+ which kind of defies the laws of physics. It wouldn’t be right if it was empty. And it wasn’t a prepayment either Before you ask. Shared the experience and many had seen similar. Either they’re accidentally/unaccidentally overcharging or their charger have monumental losses somewhere! Never got a reply to any emails and never got anyone to answer the phone. Ended up being clawed back from the credit card company after way too much time spent on it. Whilst these experiences are always anecdotal, I was amazed at how many had experienced the same.