TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Public charger not working? Try this!

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Peter_M, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

I've run into several cases where a public charging station has power, but won't charge, apparently because of a wet or dirty connector. In my case, these were Sun Country Highway J1772 charging stations made by Clipper Creek, but I expect the problem (and the solution) applies to most/all types.

This problem could show up as an error light (PROTECTION) or a chattering relay in the unit when you plug in. If you run into this, try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the contacts of the J1772 connector, wait a couple of minutes for it to dry and try it again (and push the handle in firmly). This has fixed 2 for 2 non-working charging stations for me in the past week. Of course, there are lots of other problems a charging station could have, including no power to the unit, but this is a problem you might be able to fix quickly yourself.

I'd suggest all EV drivers should carry a can of this spray - it could save you!

2. David99

David99 Active Member

Interesting and good to hear it helped. I was thinking about what to do if I ever get in a situation where the plug is too wet or filthy or frozen water inside. But so far I never had any issues. I was considering keeping a can of compressed air ("dust off") in the car. With the little tube this would work great to get dirt and water out of the connectors.

3. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Great... Before, you needed to carry a can of ether to get a car started... Now it's contact cleaner. ;)

4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

That's funny, Hank! You should re-work that one a bit and place it in the "Tesla Humor" thread - better than almost any of the entries so far.

5. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

well, that bar wasn't set very high, was it? Lol