Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charger not working? Try this!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've run into several cases where a public charging station has power, but won't charge, apparently because of a wet or dirty connector. In my case, these were Sun Country Highway J1772 charging stations made by Clipper Creek, but I expect the problem (and the solution) applies to most/all types.

This problem could show up as an error light (PROTECTION) or a chattering relay in the unit when you plug in. If you run into this, try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the contacts of the J1772 connector, wait a couple of minutes for it to dry and try it again (and push the handle in firmly). This has fixed 2 for 2 non-working charging stations for me in the past week. Of course, there are lots of other problems a charging station could have, including no power to the unit, but this is a problem you might be able to fix quickly yourself.

I'd suggest all EV drivers should carry a can of this spray - it could save you!

Interesting and good to hear it helped. I was thinking about what to do if I ever get in a situation where the plug is too wet or filthy or frozen water inside. But so far I never had any issues. I was considering keeping a can of compressed air ("dust off") in the car. With the little tube this would work great to get dirt and water out of the connectors.