TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Public Charger Question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by byan1232, Apr 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if I hit "stop charging" on the Tesla app, will I still get billed for being plugged into a public charger?

For example, if I use a public charger that charges $1 per hour of charging, if I hit "stop charging" will I continue to be billed for $1 an hour?

Thanks!

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

That depends on which public.

Public Tesla Superchargers will charge you idle fee.

Some public non-Tesla chargers do and some don't depending on brands and locations.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Reguardless of the charge you should move as others may be needing to charge. Nothing is more frustrating than needing to charge than having the space blocked by someone not charging.

• Like x 2
  4. RayW

RayW Member

Please move your car and let someone else use the charger.

BTW, I noticed a guy sitting behind a podium at the very busy San Juan Capistrano Supercharger this weekend. Anyone know what he was doing?

5. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Totally agree. I do move my car as soon as I'm done charging. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how public chargers work.

6. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

Some public chargers will charge you a connect fee but in general I have found that destination chargers (like those you find at hotels) do not do that. If I am charging at a public charger for any length of time, I leave a plaque visible through the windshield with my cell phone number telling them to call me if they have an urgent need and identifying the time I plan to return.

7. mkzane

mkzane New Member

He is the concierge. He keeps track of your place in line at busy SCs, helps you into your space and sometimes even plugs you in. I've seen them at Fountain Valley and San Mateo.

8. mkzane

mkzane New Member

Whoops, replied to the wrong post. but you get the idea.