Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Etiquette - blocking public chargers

bwbrs

Sep 9, 2020
NJ
If this is the wrong spot for this, mods please feel free to move.

I'll try to keep this short, I'm sure the solution for this is to just call my town's parking authority and see if there is something they can do, like implement a time limit that they probably won't enforce, but if anyone else has had a similar situation I'd love to hear what your thoughts / experience is / was...

I live in an apartment with nowhere to charge at my home, so I rely on public charging. So far it has not been an issue, just have to plan out my days a little more carefully. My town offers free public chargers (Juice bars) in the parking garages, you just have to pay for the hours you are parked. These garages are also home to some residents, so they can be quite busy.

Two residents of this particular garage / building have taken deliveries of a new Y and X in the past month, and have effectively claimed the two free public chargers as their personal parking spots. They leave their cars there for the duration of the weekend, plugged in, blocking anyone else in town or whoever needs to charge. This is a frequent scene during the week too, their cars will be parked and plugged in.

Anyway, just needed a little vent and would like to hear your thoughts on how to approach this. Thanks

Jan 26, 2020
Andrews TX
You could leave the EVC squatters a note with your number to see if you can reach an agreement on when you can all charge.

Not sure if its practical or not but can you ask the owner of your apartment complex to install 5-20 receptacles in the parking lot? I'm sure NJ offers state incentives to install EV charging...

Reactions: COS Blue and bwbrs

JimBob 909

Little Red Raven
Sep 16, 2019
Southern California
My town offers free public chargers (Juice bars) in the parking garages, you just have to pay for the hours you are parked. These garages are also home to some residents, so they can be quite busy.

Why not notify the city to put up limitation signs with enforcment (meter maid?)? They are obviously abusing a good thing. Their phone app is notifying them when the cars are charged. Point that out to the city also that the owner of the car knows the status of their charging status.

Reactions: bwbrs

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC