Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Etiquette - Unplugging Teslas from J1772s

Unplug Teslas when all EVSEs are full?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see well I've never observed it do this with my adapter left in while I switch cars. How many times does it try? How often?
It tries every few seconds. When I first got my car, I was using our clipper creek unit since I only had one 240 line in the garage. The adapter stuck constantly and the door would continually try to close after removing the j17772 while I was trying to work out the adapter.

What about the EVSE itself? Most of the J1722 public chargers I have used are Chargepoint chargers (even free ones), requiring a login or card or some action (I have a card and phone set up to use them, so not sure of the process for non-Chargepoint account). Do those restart if someone stops the charge to check if the car is charging? I doubt it, the owner would likely have to log in again. So do the "stop charge to see if they are charging" and it is pretty much a self-fulfilling prophesy -- nope, they aren't charging because you just killed their session.

I've never seen a public charger that doesn't have some way to indicate whether or not the vehicle is actively charging. It could be as simple as an LED or as rich as a large LCD. This idea of unplugging a car to see if it still needs a charge is crazy. The charger tells you if it's supplying power to the vehicle. If it says 'Yes', then don't unplug!

• Love
Reactions: cwerdna and BerTX
I've never seen a public charger that doesn't have some way to indicate whether or not the vehicle is actively charging. It could be as simple as an LED or as rich as a large LCD. This idea of unplugging a car to see if it still needs a charge is crazy. The charger tells you if it's supplying power to the vehicle. If it says 'Yes', then don't unplug!
Superchargers???

And in addition, Tesla already imposes surcharges to those who stay plugged in when completed and the stalls are at least 50% full.

Are they actually doing that? I see cars parked for hours at the local supercharger (when I take my vehicle in for service). Once after service, I noticed my charge was low. All stalls were occupied and 3 cars had been there since when I got my loaner (at 830am). So unless they somehow charged and came back and occupied the same stalls, they were using the SC as parking spots (with chargers still plugged in).

I hope Tesla is actually making people pay because I don't see a change in behavior (I made it home just fine, but had to go down below 5%).

Irrelevant. Even if you could unplug a supercharger cable when the car was locked (which you can’t), it wouldn’t reach another car. So don’t touch.

Some superchargers have access on both sides (Erie PA). So cars can charge and theoretically share. I agree that most are designed to allow only one car (though I've seen some owners park across chargers which is bizarre because the painted lines are very clear).

Are they actually doing that? I see cars parked for hours at the local supercharger (when I take my vehicle in for service). Once after service, I noticed my charge was low. All stalls were occupied and 3 cars had been there since when I got my loaner (at 830am). So unless they somehow charged and came back and occupied the same stalls, they were using the SC as parking spots (with chargers still plugged in).

I hope Tesla is actually making people pay because I don't see a change in behavior (I made it home just fine, but had to go down below 5%).
So this supercharger is at or near a service center? Is it possible these were Tesla owned cars? I have seen this happen at Superchargers that were at Service centers where the SC hogs the slots (Dublin) and SC employees have to be asked to move the cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Are they actually doing that?

Yes. Telsa is enforcing idles fees. I was slapped with a fee when I left mine plugged in for about 20 minutes after I finished charging. I didn't think the stalls were more than halfway full, however Tesla's customer service said it was a result of the demand that was recorded at that time. Moral of this story, no matter how empty a Supercharging location may appear, unplug and move right away to 1) let others charge 2) avoid a fee.

As a follow-up to the auto-close feature of the charge port door, I tested this again last night at home and only saw the door attempt to close once with the adapter plugged in - then it stayed open with a blue light around the port. After a minute, I grew inpatient and stopped. I'll try again at an actual J1772 station - which is probably when I'll end up breaking something. Still not positive whether or not the door will continuously attempt to close when the adapter is left in place.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

I've seen this at both Buena Park and Burbank Service Centers. The employees often leave vehicles (loaners I assume) plugged in (even sitting at 100%).

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I unplugged another Tesla at a J1772s today. At the airport there is only a single charger and two marked EV parking spots on either side of it.
Actually, I've done this before, but it's the first time that another Tesla was in the other occupied spot.
I wish there was a way to text or ping the guy's app and let him know that I treated his/her car very carefully - like it was mine :)

I don't look at the car to tell if the car is charging or what level it is. I look at the charger head!
If the charger shows that it's not charging, I figure it's okay to pull it.
If you come up on my car, and the CHARGER shows that it's not charging, I'm totally fine with you pulling it.

So this supercharger is at or near a service center? Is it possible these were Tesla owned cars? I have seen this happen at Superchargers that were at Service centers where the SC hogs the slots (Dublin) and SC employees have to be asked to move the cars.

Service and sales center in highland Park. I'm guessing you're right but I also see locals constantly pulling up and using 45 minutes of their life for 5 bucks of free electricity.

Yes. Telsa is enforcing idles fees. I was slapped with a fee when I left mine plugged in for about 20 minutes after I finished charging. I didn't think the stalls were more than halfway full, however Tesla's customer service said it was a result of the demand that was recorded at that time. Moral of this story, no matter how empty a Supercharging location may appear, unplug and move right away to 1) let others charge 2) avoid a fee.

As a follow-up to the auto-close feature of the charge port door, I tested this again last night at home and only saw the door attempt to close once with the adapter plugged in - then it stayed open with a blue light around the port. After a minute, I grew inpatient and stopped. I'll try again at an actual J1772 station - which is probably when I'll end up breaking something. Still not positive whether or not the door will continuously attempt to close when the adapter is left in place.

I tested this morning and same. Tried to close once after 5 seconds. Failed and then never tried again. I doubt the motor will be taxed.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
I unplugged another Tesla at a J1772s today. At the airport there is only a single charger and two marked EV parking spots on either side of it.
Actually, I've done this before, but it's the first time that another Tesla was in the other occupied spot.
I wish there was a way to text or ping the guy's app and let him know that I treated his/her car very carefully - like it was mine :)

I don't look at the car to tell if the car is charging or what level it is. I look at the charger head!
If the charger shows that it's not charging, I figure it's okay to pull it.
If you come up on my car, and the CHARGER shows that it's not charging, I'm totally fine with you pulling it.
I think you were okay doing that, but it's possible they charged to 50%, assuming the car would be plugged in and they could re-start the charge in time to have it full when they got back. I guess it would depend on whether the EVSE would re-start if the car started charging again. I have done this with TWCs, but nobody would be able to disconnect that.

Some superchargers have access on both sides (Erie PA). So cars can charge and theoretically share. I agree that most are designed to allow only one car (though I've seen some owners park across chargers which is bizarre because the painted lines are very clear).
I don't know how they could "share"? The car will not allow the charge handle to be removed with a Supercharger.

I don't know how they could "share"? The car will not allow the charge handle to be removed with a Supercharger.

Not move a car but relinquish the charge (so as not to actually block a charger but still occupy a parking spot in front of that charger). Clearly a charger itself cannot be physically shared at the same time.

EDIT: This is what it looks like:

1-13313348_10207757665314206_220242135_o-1024x768.jpg

Not move a car but relinquish the charge (so as not to actually block a charger but still occupy a parking spot in front of that charger). Clearly a charger itself cannot be physically shared at the same time.

EDIT: This is what it looks like:

1-13313348_10207757665314206_220242135_o-1024x768.jpg
I understand the configuration, but how does this help in sharing the charger? Say, all chargers are full. Another car parks behind the red car in your picture, and when red car owner returns he plugs in the other car? The driver who is in the slot behind the red car can't unplug the red car, even if it is through charging.

I understand the configuration, but how does this help in sharing the charger? Say, all chargers are full. Another car parks behind the red car in your picture, and when red car owner returns he plugs in the other car? The driver who is in the slot behind the red car can't unplug the red car, even if it is through charging.

I rarely leave my car and let it supercharge, so i would assume some owners are nearby and could unlock their car to allow someone else who is waiting the opportunity to park across from that charger and take the charger from the charged car to theirs without troubling the original owner to move their car. That's a win-win to me. That's all I'm trying to say is that one supercharger I've seen would allow more easy sharing of one stall.