Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Etiquette - Unplugging Teslas from J1772s

Unplug Teslas when all EVSEs are full?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never touch Teslas simply because of the adapter. On that same note, I'll never plug in a Tesla either, even if their charge port is open with adapter in place.
If a Tesla is being an #EVHOLE and staying plugged into a charger when full, I will definitely have no problem leaving a "friendly" note.

Reactions: liuping
I have been unplugged before. I was 85 miles from home with 75 miles of range.

...I had no more charge than when I started. I went out and found my car unplugged, and the cord plugged into a Ford phev. All three of the other units were unoccupied (except for the stall the Ford was plugged into being blocked by them).
I would have been very tempted to let the air out of two of his tires. I probably wouldn't have done it, but I would have been tempted.

Oddly enough, most the time I see a Tesla parked in a L2 spot, they are not plugged in. Simply an observation. Other brands do it too, but not as often. This has a lot to do with how close the L2 charger is to the front door of the store.

Reactions: cwerdna
Oddly enough, most the time I see a Tesla parked in a L2 spot, they are not plugged in. Simply an observation. Other brands do it too, but not as often. This has a lot to do with how close the L2 charger is to the front door of the store.

That is why Tesla owners have a separate #T_HOLE hashtag to differentiate them from the typical #EVHOLE.

Probably because somebody unplugged them :eek:
Usually nose first. It's how I spot it. It's nothing I'm looking for.

It's really no different than people circling and waiting 20 minutes for a front row parking stall in front of a Gym or somebody parked at a green light talking on their phone. A sign of our times.

Usually nose first. It's how I spot it. It's nothing I'm looking for.

It's really no different than people circling and waiting 20 minutes for a front row parking stall in front of a Gym or somebody parked at a green light talking on their phone. A sign of our times.

Every public ev charger I’ve been too has a cord long enough to plug in no matter how you park. Since you’re big on “sign of the times” have you seen some people trying to back into spots?? The struggle is real. I don’t think many people can even do it.

How do you know what direction the Tesla will be going? And where is it written a non Tesla EV has priority to use a PUBLIC charger when a Supercharger is in the vicinity?

You are more than welcome to disagree with me, but just to be clear about my post: I do not think it's OK to unplug Teslas at a J1772 station, but provided a protocol in case of emergency. Indeed, if unplugging the Tesla after it has had sufficient time to get to the nearest supercharger could save a life or stop some other calamity, I think that is an OK trade-off. It doesn't matter what direction the Tesla is headed, if it can get to a SC its driver can recover.

I certainly don't think that non-Tesla EVs have 'priority' at a public station, and I said so.

Just because your EV builder didn’t fully invest into the EV system by building a nationwide network of fast chargers doesn’t mean you somehow have priority at public chargers.

I am satisfied with my EV builder's investment in charging infrastructure. I drive a Model X 100D, and my wife drives a Model X P90D. Tesla's SC network is second to none in convenience, which is why if I was plugged into a J1772 charger it would be an act of utter desperation.

If you’re not happy with charging options complain to your car manufacturer or complain to your local gov’t or talk to local businesses to convince them of the benefits of adding to public charging or buy a Tesla or a hybrid or a traditional ICE car. Complaining on this forum won’t accomplish jack.

Sure, that's true, but I wasn't complaining.

Also, if you bought a leaf or whatever short range EV you knew the range. You also know your daily driving habits.

Though I disagree with the OP, I have to point out that the scenario presented was one where the power is out at the OP's home and so doesn't fit with your analysis here.

You are more than welcome to disagree with me, but just to be clear about my post: I do not think it's OK to unplug Teslas at a J1772 station, but provided a protocol in case of emergency. Indeed, if unplugging the Tesla after it has had sufficient time to get to the nearest supercharger could save a life or stop some other calamity, I think that is an OK trade-off. It doesn't matter what direction the Tesla is headed, if it can get to a SC its driver can recover.

I certainly don't think that non-Tesla EVs have 'priority' at a public station, and I said so.

I am satisfied with my EV builder's investment in charging infrastructure. I drive a Model X 100D, and my wife drives a Model X P90D. Tesla's SC network is second to none in convenience, which is why if I was plugged into a J1772 charger it would be an act of utter desperation.

Sure, that's true, but I wasn't complaining.

Though I disagree with the OP, I have to point out that the scenario presented was one where the power is out at the OP's home and so doesn't fit with your analysis here.

It appears you've decided to pile every edge case into this one post. Still....you never know the other guy's situation, so unless they leave you contact info and you get with them and clear it.....I'd still say it's a "no".

Solving the whole problem, use a lock and no one can unplug. No debate, no dilemma.

Review: Tesla Model S J1772 Charger Lock
On general principle, I don't like being ripped off because I own a Tesla. This thing would be $6 if it was made for a Leaf.

Note that many Chargepoint EVSEs can be locked by a padlock through the button.

I understand if it's some remote place like Saskatchewan then you probably need a charge as bad as I do. Just FYI though if your Tesla is plugged into the ONLY working L2 charger at the Outlet mall in Marysville that I have to use to charge my Leaf or I don't make it home because the ONLY fast charger I can use is in use or down, and there is a 16 stall supercharger site just 11 miles away that you can use - YOU WILL BE UNPLUGGED. Nothing personal, and you can get all indignant if you want, but if you really want to we can make it a problem.

I understand if it's some remote place like Saskatchewan then you probably need a charge as bad as I do. Just FYI though if your Tesla is plugged into the ONLY working L2 charger at the Outlet mall in Marysville that I have to use to charge my Leaf or I don't make it home because the ONLY fast charger I can use is in use or down, and there is a 16 stall supercharger site just 11 miles away that you can use - YOU WILL BE UNPLUGGED. Nothing personal, and you can get all indignant if you want, but if you really want to we can make it a problem.

If there's a dashcam, well, there's another set of people who can make it a problem. And you wouldn't be all "keyboard tough" if they got involved.

unplugged it to see if the charge status screen would pop up on the centre console. It did, showing they were fully charged

There's the solution. Unplug em take a look.

if your Tesla is plugged into the ONLY working L2 charger at the Outlet mall in Marysville that I have to use to charge my Leaf or I don't make it home because the ONLY fast charger I can use is in use or down, and there is a 16 stall supercharger site just 11 miles away that you can use - YOU WILL BE UNPLUGGED.

Supercharger 11 miles away? Don't even need to look.

I’m calling plagiarism. The above quote is stolen directly from Merriam Webster’s under : Entitled

-Jim

Your driving a crappy EV is your problem, not anyone else’s problem. If you need more range, buy an EV with a longer range. You don’t get priority on a public charger because you have a crappy EV.

Your driving a crappy EV is your problem, not anyone else’s problem. If you need more range, buy an EV with a longer range. You don’t get priority on a public charger because you have a crappy EV.

Next we will have Teslas getting the charge adapters broken off in the ports by malicious people.

No need to bash. Leave a simple note or sign that says when your charge will be complete enough to get to your next destination where you can charge. Simple.

This issue is going to blow up when 400,000 more M3s hit the roads over the next couple of years, along with all the other EVs being produced.

Does anyone think Tesla will open up their SC network for other cars using an adapter for a fee? Tesla chargers will be just one brand of electricity, just like people are free to spend their money on any brand of gasoline today?

I only ask because someday the tables could be turned...

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggy and cwerdna
So basically, you want to make your lack of planning my problem.

You have no idea how badly I might need the charge. You assume your fast charger in the vicinity is in use or down, so you need the L2 EVSE - but then assume that a nearby Supercharger is not in use and/or not down, so I don't need the L2. Creative justification there, but no.

That EVSE that you think you're more entitled to is not yours, nor is it mine. First come, first serve.

Not indignant. Just letting you know that if I come back to my vehicle and you've decided that you take priority over me, you're going to be unplugged. If I'm plugged into a L2, it's because I need to be. And I'm fine if you come back and want to "make it a problem". -eye roll-