Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Etiquette - Unplugging Teslas from J1772s

Unplug Teslas when all EVSEs are full?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair point. But my alternative (which I did consider) was to go in to the front desk and have the desk wake the patron so I could ask the patron if I could unplug his car. On balance, I took the chance that the risk of not being able to resume charging was worth not waking someone at 2am.

The other alternative would have been to Uber my passenger home and then rent a room (or sleep in the car) until the driver unplugged in the morning. I decided to take a minor risk to avoid a significant inconvenience.
I have to agree with @ModelNforNerd and @bonnie... you decided to risk other people's schedule/needs for a non-emergency situation that you admitted was poor planning on your part so you would be less inconvenienced.

It's not about being a tough guy. It's about solving problems created by selfish people. Looks like I hit a nerve with you. Consider your own view towards the needs of others and how that enters into your actions and decision making when you decide to take up a charging slot when you don't really need it.

I see countless local Teslas charging at the free airport chargers, always full, denying them to EVs who truly need them. They are selfish. Sorry if that makes you feel so bad about yourself you have to defend your selfishness with laughable legal theories.

And you'll find out that you can be charged in some places with vandalism and/or theft, for impeding the reception of a paid service (if the charger is paid).

Again, so many tough guys online, until you have to explain to your kids why their father lost his mind for 5 minutes and caught a larceny charge.

I think the bigger problem is the people who say " I'll take up a limited charger when I don't really need it because either my battery has plenty, or there is a supercharger nearby. And damn anyone else who may have smaller battery and truly need to charge because . . . . I was here first , and I don't care about the needs of others."

F them. Unplug them if you really need it -- and thank you for joining us in leading the EV revolution. Sorry some of our Tesla brothers are selfish f*&ks, taking up a charger when they don't really need it.

But therein lies the rub:

- You typically don't have the information as to what someone else's needs are

- If you are planning your needs around a limited shared resource with no reservation system to guarantee access, then YOU are doing a poor job of planning

- Your priority is not inversely proportional to the capability of your vehicle

Are some folks selfish? Yes. Of all EV variety owners, including Tesla's? I agree that's behavior that should be encouraged to be changed.

Does that entitle you to be sole judge based on your arbitrary criteria to unplug someone else who is charging? No.

It's also poor planning on the charger layout. If each port had 2-4 spots it could reach, you COULD take from a full car. Too often it won't reach anywhere else soit doesn't matter if they are full or not, their car blocks access. I love how NT did their employee lot where a pole could reach 4 spots, so in theory, several people could charge, get full and not horribly inconvenience others if you couldn't move.

Reactions: bhzmark
It's not about being a tough guy. It's about solving problems created by selfish people. Looks like I hit a nerve with you. Consider your own view towards the needs of others and how that enters into your actions and decision making when you decide to take up a charging slot when you don't really need it.

I see countless local Teslas charging at the free airport chargers, always full, denying them to EVs who truly need them. They are selfish. Sorry if that makes you feel so bad about yourself you have to defend your selfishness with laughable legal theories.

And who decides who needs what? Evidently you?

Maybe, when you saw the Teslas they were full, but when they parked they were empty?

Reactions: scaesare
Unplug them, look at the screen, know the nearest supercharger.

Owning a Tesla for years I choose to pass up free j1772s because I have never needed it and instead choose to leave them for my EV brothers and sisters driving lesser cars.
That doesn't tell you their schedule constraints, what that may cost them, how full the nearest supercharger is, or what their driving distances may be.

Nor, quite frankly, does it give you the right to make a value judgement that their right to a publicly offered charger is less than your right to the same.

Actually, it's YOUR sense of entitlement that stuck a nerve with me.

And it's not a laughable legal theory. Google's your friend. There's already case law.

You do you though, J1772 Sheriff Guy. I salute you.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: liuping
Nor, quite frankly, does it give you the right to make a value judgement that their right to a publicly offered charger is less than your right to the same.

But then they did the same by taking the slot in the first place. Just being there first yields no moral high ground.

And the information you claim I don't have is easily aquired by unplugging and looking at the screen.

And the prospect of lots actually being designed for people to share one charger for multiple slots necessiates people unplugging each other and sharing the power.

The offense generated by the prospect of sharing is really only due to small selfish minds.

But then they did the same by taking the slot in the first place. Just being there first yields no moral high ground.

Since when is using a public charger offered on a first-come first basis not a legit use if they are actually charging?

And the information you claim I don't have is easily aquired by unplugging and looking at the screen.
OK, look at my screen, and see that I'm at some percentage of charge and answer the following:

- How far do I need to travel?

- When will my appointment at the current location finish?

- What is my deadline for arriving at my next destination?

- What was the wait time at the supercharger time when I first plugged in? When my appointment completes?

- Am I going to pay for supercharging?

- Do my above schedule constraints allow the additional time to deviate to the supercharger? What if my next destination is in the opposite direction?

And the prospect of lots actually being designed for people to share one charger for multiple slots necessiates people unplugging each other and sharing the power.

The offense generated by the prospect of sharing is really only due to small selfish minds.

Sharing != Taking.

Especially when a car is still in the process of charging and somebody else is judging that they don't need to be.

Please, tell me, how YOU determine that, by looking at the car.

What makes you the Grand Arbiter of Public Charging, btw?
He's looking at the "Gratuitous Charging" indicator that's on the screen when he presses the disconnect button...

This reminds me of the Flat Earther arguments that go something like:

"How can you tell the pictures of a spherical earth taken form space are fakes?"

"Well, the earth is flat, so they must be."

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
t's not about being a tough guy. It's about solving problems created by selfish people

Agree 100%.

I hate it when Teslas in my office come and plug in and occupy the whole day when the lowely Leafs and I3 are left in lurch unable to get home, just because they came 10 minutes later than the Teslas.

Believe me none of the Teslas have a 200 mile commute. They are all cheap skates who will not plug in at their home and suck on the company's dime to save a few pennies, at the expense of those that absolutely need the charge to go home.

In fact I lobbied to seclude the Teslas to the preferred EV parking, but not EV charging spots and leave that to range deprived EVs

Interesting that you feel like risking inconveniencing others rather than yourself despite poor planning is "reasonable".
The world is not black and white. I weighed the options. The likelihood of impacting the other user was slim. The consequence (a phone call in the middle of the night asking him to restart charging from the app) was minor.

The consequence to me was sleeping in my car for who-knows-how-long. And the likelihood was certain. From a risk analysis perspective this was clear cut.

He's looking at the "Gratuitous Charging" indicator that's on the screen when he presses the disconnect button...

"How can you tell the pictures of a spherical earth taken form space are fakes?"

the-flat-earth-society-20-hrs-g-the-flat-earth-27991440.png

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare

Expounding his ideas to other areas, you can skip all lines if you feel you are in more of a hurry than everyone else. In a crowded bus with no seats? Kick someone out if you feel you're more tired than them. Find yourself in a traffic jam? Simply use the shoulder to drive on if you are crunched for time, especially if you find yourself driving an EV with crappy range.

Agree 100%.

I hate it when Teslas in my office come and plug in and occupy the whole day when the lowely Leafs and I3 are left in lurch unable to get home, just because they came 10 minutes later than the Teslas.

At my office, there are a lot of Leafs and Volts. I can see by our charging website that many of them plug in and are completely charged in an hour and then sit there blocking the spot all day. We're supposed to move our cars when they are done charging but not everyone does. When I charge my Tesla at work, it is typically for half a day and it is charging the entire time...and that one charge can last me for an entire week of commuting.