Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Etiquette - Unplugging Teslas from J1772s

Unplug Teslas when all EVSEs are full?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree 100%.

I hate it when Teslas in my office come and plug in and occupy the whole day when the lowely Leafs and I3 are left in lurch unable to get home, just because they came 10 minutes later than the Teslas.

Believe me none of the Teslas have a 200 mile commute. They are all cheap skates who will not plug in at their home and suck on the company's dime to save a few pennies, at the expense of those that absolutely need the charge to go home.

In fact I lobbied to seclude the Teslas to the preferred EV parking, but not EV charging spots and leave that to range deprived EVs

That plays equally well across platforms though, doesn't it?

Does the guy with a 20 mile commute deserve to plug in all day to charge his Leaf after depleted on a Monday? Did your lobbying efforts include folks whose commutes were well under the range of their cars?

How about Bolts, did you make sure to include them?

Should Hybrids be allowed since they don't need to at all?

Don't get me wrong, I agree that charging any EV beyond what's reasonably necessary is ungracious. It's why I move my car at lunch time even though 95% of the time nobody else uses the space.

But my point is that trying to impose your value judgements when you don't have all the facts is fraught with potential error... better to encourage others to exhibit correct behavior than take it upon yourself to be arbiter when you have limited information.

Last edited:
Agree 100%.

I hate it when Teslas in my office come and plug in and occupy the whole day when the lowely Leafs and I3 are left in lurch unable to get home, just because they came 10 minutes later than the Teslas.

Believe me none of the Teslas have a 200 mile commute. They are all cheap skates who will not plug in at their home and suck on the company's dime to save a few pennies, at the expense of those that absolutely need the charge to go home.

In fact I lobbied to seclude the Teslas to the preferred EV parking, but not EV charging spots and leave that to range deprived EVs

That is a service your company provides, and as such, are allowed to dictate and alter the policy.

The main argument here is about public chargers, where it comes down to decency and common sense.

I'm curious why you feel Tesla owners are "cheap skates" for using the company provided benefit of free charging for EV owners, but Leaf owners not?

If it really bothers you, you should suggest they start charging for plugging in at work. That way no one would plug in any longer than necessary. It has the added benefit of not alienating other employees, who are probably asking why EV owners are getting free electricity, but they don't get free gas. If paying for your share of the elctricity is not acceptable to you you might

The same apply to public chargers. Charging a reasonable fee eliminates swatters and frees up the spots for people who really want/need them. Our local local strip mall added 2 free EV charging stations a few years ago. They were nearly always filled with some local Fiat 500e and Leaf owners, who would drop of their cars and walk home. The mall owner changed the EVSE to a ChargePoint system, and now it's free for the first 1/2 hour then $1.50 per hour. There is pretty much always one open now.

The main argument here is about public chargers, where it comes down to decency and common sense.

when it comes decency and common sense, what holds good for a public charger is also good for a private installation.. after all it is decency and common sense you are talking about - a shared critical resource that has limited availability should go to the needy first. Every heard of the phrase, 'women and children first'?

• Disagree
Reactions: Mike in CO
Agree 100%.

Why on God's green earth would you buy a car that did not have enough range for a roundtrip to work??????????????????

The blame in this blame equation is 100% you for choosing a car that does not meet your daily driving needs. Poor planning on your part does not give you any priority on charger usage.

when it comes decency and common sense, what holds good for a public charger is also good for a private installation.. after all it is decency and common sense you are talking about - a shared critical resource that has limited availability should go to the needy first. Every heard of the phrase, 'women and children first'?

Really, you're pulling out the woman and children first card? Comparing a sinking ship in the middle of the ocean where life hangs in the balance to a public charging usage debate? Drama anyone?

If you take the plunge and buy an EV (especially one with limited range) you are signing up for all the perils of limited public charging options and the high possibility that your charging needs will be thwarted by someone else with a charging need (the level of need you have no business judging without all the facts) or just some ICE car being a jerk.

NOBODY has a priority at a public charger, PERIOD. It's first come first serve (unless signage states otherwise). If you want as many options at your disposal as possible buy a Tesla. If you can't deal with this simple fact don't be an "early adopter" and stick with a hybrid or efficient ICE car. Yes, we are all early adopters to this form of transportation.

Why on God's green earth would you buy a car that did not have enough range for a roundtrip to work??????????????????

Oh the nerve of the rich !!

I chose to be poor, and I chose to be lazy. So God punished me with a lowly Leaf. I made plenty of poor choices that in the end made me poor that I can only afford a Leaf. You should be gifted. You should be the ideal hard working man, who got rich enough to buy a Tesla.

[I had a Leaf for 4 years and then a Tesla for over two and half years before I ended up totaling. And I am now inbetween Teslas now]

NOBODY has a priority at a public charger, PERIOD. It's first come first serve

The beginning of the end of common sense and decency and civilized behavior, in action.

Remember we don't have any moral authority to point fingers at ICE cars when they park... because they have every right to park wherever they want, unless the sign board says otherwise.

• Disagree
Reactions: Astraviel

I've heard of women and children first....but that's for holding doors open, or getting into lifeboats......

Children aren't old enough to have an EV, and unless I saw the driver get out, I'm not going to assume a driver of an EV is a man or woman.

So your idiom, while well intentioned, doesn't necessarily fit neatly in this situation.

Let's try this one:

You're in a state where you're allowed to pump your own gas, so not New Jersey.

You are in a tiny "city car" with a small gas tank, and hence, short range. You come upon a gas station that is full, and you pull in behind a big SUV....

the pump is running, the driver might be in the store, what do you do?

Do you stop the SUV's pump and start pumping your little car, because in your mind, you need it more?

Do you sit around and wait for the driver to come back? Do you look for another station?

Hint: it's not ok to stop another ICE car from pumping based on your need, so why is it OK for you to determine who has more need at an EV charging station?

What if that car's owner has no power at their house because of a storm, and now they had some event where they have to travel outside of the local area, and a J1772 is their only option?

You don't always know the other person's situation, don't make assumptions. What would you say if the driver was coming back to the car and the confrontation turned physical?

While they may not be correct for assaulting you, if you were witnessed tampering with their charging, YOU might be the one explaining things to cops.

TL;DR: If you're name's not on the car note or the title, DON'T TOUCH IT.

Live by that, and you'll be ok.

Yes, that's right... the model of car you own dictating whom should get priority for a charge station is precisely like who should voluntarily sacrifice themselves in a lifeboat situation.

Thanks.

The blame in this blame equation is 100% you for choosing a car that does not meet your daily driving needs. Poor planning on your part does not give you any priority on charger usage.

Common sense should no longer be called that, as it's no longer very common. o_O

I see this on the train every day. Someone buys a one-way ticket into work, and tries to present it in the afternoon on the ride home. Then they have the audacity to get irate at the conductor for calling them out on it. Always trying to game the system.

I chose to be poor, and I chose to be lazy. So God punished me with a lowly Leaf. I made plenty of poor choices that in the end made me poor that I can only afford a Leaf. You should be gifted. You should be the ideal hard working man, who got rich enough to buy a Tesla.

[I had a Leaf for 4 years and then a Tesla for over two and half years before I ended up totaling. And I am now inbetween Teslas now]

Who gets priority: The $37,500 Chevy Bolt owner with 238 miles range, or the $65K Tesla S60 owner with 210 miles?

• Love
Reactions: Racerx22b

I have no issue with anyone choosing to be poor or lazy but don't use those decisions to somehow equate to you having priority at a PUBLIC charger. And if you are poor and lazy buying an EV seems counter to those decisions. Planning charging options for travel is work while getting gas is practically brainless and a Honda Civic is cheaper than a Leaf. At least I think it is. If it isn't I am 100% sure there is another Econo box out there that is.

You made a poor choice in life. Deal with it. Not everyone gets a trophy.

Who gets priority: The $37,500 Chevy Bolt owner with 238 miles range, or the $65K Tesla S60 owner with 210 miles?

in the office scenario: the one that absolutely needs it to reach his/her destination should be given courtesy preference. All the Teslas do NOT need any extra charge to get home. All Leafs and I3 absolutely do need on a cold day.

Chargers are provided in the office to make your commute stress free of range anxiety. Not to suck some pennies of free electricity. Many, not all, Tesla owners do not charge at home on a regular work day. That is being a cheap skate.

in the office scenario: the one that absolutely needs it to reach his/her destination should be given courtesy preference. All the Teslas do NOT need any extra charge to get home. All Leafs and I3 absolutely do need on a cold day.

Chargers are provided in the office to make your commute stress free of range anxiety. Not to suck some pennies of free electricity. Many, not all, Tesla owners do not charge at home on a regular work day. That is being a cheap skate.

Pretty sure your boss only cares about how you get to work, getting home is up to you. They don't pay you to go home.