Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Etiquette - Unplugging Teslas from J1772s

Unplug Teslas when all EVSEs are full?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re read the original.post. this about leaf owners, not me, faced with fully taken chargers and unplugging Teslas and how to determine whether they are charging or not.

I'll never need to unplug someone else because I drive a Tesla.

But if I was at some destination charger or some other circumstance it seems basic etiquette that we would share.

I don't know what point you are making you've made so many false assumptions and logic jumps.

When using probability in making decisions with regards to what affects you and only you this is fine and completely logical. When you are dealing with other people's lives and/or property you should proceed with certainty. I have got through life quite well with little to no issues with this philosophy. Thank you for inquiring.

If you can see the car is at 100% charge this is the only scenario I would so is okay to unplug. Anything short of that you do not touch. I still think it's a little sketch to mess with another person's car and I don't think I would do so but you do you.

I’ll add a data point to this thread... first of all, it is NEVER ok to unplug someone else’s car without their permission. You don’t know their situation and you are not more important than them.

I rely on public J1772 charging for ~70% of my charging. I do not have a way to charge at home, so rely on public chargers to get around. Superchargers + destination chargers on the road, J1772 day to day.

When I park at the airport for a few days, I will often plug into the stations there if available and leave my charge level set to ~50%. The day I’m flying back I set it to 90-100% (depending on how far I need to drive to get home). If you unplug me because you think I’m “done”, then I’d be stranded at the airport and not able to get home + to my next charging destination. Don’t do it!

I didn't read the entire thread....tapping on the charger handle button should make the charge port ring light up so you can see how much charge a Tesla has. It will most likely pause the charge but only for a sec. Of course the owner may get a notification text or whatever but hopefully wont be too pissed. Personally I'd understand.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
When I park at the airport for a few days, I will often plug into the stations there if available and leave my charge level set to ~50%. The day I’m flying back I set it to 90-100% (depending on how far I need to drive to get home). If you unplug me because you think I’m “done”, then I’d be stranded at the airport and not able to get home + to my next charging destination. Don’t do it!

that is potentially questionable etiquette. maybe take public transportation or a taxi? how long do you park at chargers while not using them? a few days!?

that is potentially questionable etiquette. maybe take public transportation or a taxi? how long do you park at chargers while not using them? a few days!?
Hey Z -

I don't think it's questionable when a car is parked/plugged in at an airport long-term parking lot. By definition, everyone there is parking because they're going to be gone a long time (and obviously can't come back and unplug/move their vehicle).

This is the ONLY scenario where I think it's okay to do this, since I can't see how anyone could use the low-level EVSEs in a long-term lot without planning to leave their car parked at the EVSE for an extended period of time. (It's also why I wish airports would just put in a b'zillion 110V outlets, instead of Level 2 - enough time to fully charge on those & because those are so much cheaper to install, the airport could supply a lot more charging options to those that will be there a long time.)

I leave a note in those situations, with a 'OK to unplug after [whatever date]' or 'Call me at xxx to verify before unplugging'.

I agree public airport chargers really should only be used while at the airport (dropping off/picking up). It does not make sense to park there for days, blocking the chargers. I don't understand why Airport even put them in long term parking lots.

Some offsite parking garages here is San Diego have 120V plugs in some spots in their parking garages for EVs and/or offer Valet service where they will move you car on your day of arrival and make sure it's charged up for you. That make much more sense to me.

Reactions: Evoforce
fyi for everyone - This whole discussion could go away if everyone would leave information on their vehicle. Then it's clear if you can be unplugged or if the person unplugging you is a total jerk. :) No ambiguity.

I use these hang tags (available from a number of sources, such as PlugIn America or EVannex):

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 7.49.23 AM.png

There is a privately owned parking lot in Austin that has EV charging. They encourage customers to use their lot by way of having this charging infrastructure.

They have J1772 plugs between rows, in a way that they can each reach 4 cars. They move the plugs around and there are signs some of the cars with instructions (e.g. "please plug in on Tuesday afternoon"). Typically, the new arrivals are plugged in and unplugged when the charge point reports no more current being delivered. Sure, it would break @appleguru method... by they could just as easily charge to 90% and be done.

I live within 20 miles of the airport. I typically don't bother charging there, but once I was coming in from the other direction (kids at camp), arrived fully empty, and when I returned from my trip the car was charged and I could make it home. It worked great.

This is simply good business and they are managing the resource. Of course, this is very different than a few chargers in a generic public lot left unmanaged. And in any case, I would like to see more 20A 120V outlets for long term parking.

I do find it comical that after nearly a decade, we cannot agree on wording that means the battery is full. Heck not even a pictograph is standard yet.

I can hop into any of our cars and tell what side it refuels/recharges. There is a pictograph. It's a freakin' arrow. A 5 year old could learn than in 10 seconds.

I can buy a $20 rechargable mouse, and it shows me it's charging status. I don't have to read instructions. It's like your cellphone or power tools. If it's not full, it shows you how much more is needed.

We can do that with simple cheap devices, but not $150,000 cars yet. Amazing.

fyi for everyone - This whole discussion could go away if everyone would leave information on their vehicle. Then it's clear if you can be unplugged or if the person unplugging you is a total jerk. :) No ambiguity.

I use these hang tags (available from a number of sources, such as PlugIn America or EVannex):

They need one that clearly says "unplug after _____"

Yes, but still vague. At the top it clearly says “do not unplug”. The blank says “should be done”. It doesn’t say “may unplug”. It implies (to me) that someone will be returning.
This really isn't something that has to be hard. :). You can always make your own note. I used a note (edge caught in window so it wouldn't blow away) for years, with the information I wanted to convey. I find these tags helpful, since I rarely am parked in a spot beyond the time I need.

Unplug them, look at the screen, know the nearest supercharger.

Owning a Tesla for years I choose to pass up free j1772s because I have never needed it and instead choose to leave them for my EV brothers and sisters driving lesser cars.
You can fill in the blank on the card with that information :).

We have a card that says wether we are opportunity charging or necesity charging and our cell number. If we are opportunity charging we park one spot over so the main charge spot is not blocked. Only been unplugged once while we were opportunity charging and plug share sent me an email. We are in a Leaf or smart ed. Think it was an i3 that unplugged us.

I agree public airport chargers really should only be used while at the airport (dropping off/picking up). It does not make sense to park there for days, blocking the chargers. I don't understand why Airport even put them in long term parking lots.

Some offsite parking garages here is San Diego have 120V plugs in some spots in their parking garages for EVs and/or offer Valet service where they will move you car on your day of arrival and make sure it's charged up for you. That make much more sense to me.

Your premise has a hole: Here at Logan Airport in Boston, the chargers are not in the "quick" lots, they're in long term parking. It's counter-intuitive to go into long term parking to get a few electrons on a pickup or drop off trip, especially if you were to go through the gate and pay for parking, only to find out the chargers were all taken up anyway.

At least around here, Tesla is adding some Urban (Super)Chargers to alleviate that problem.

Wow this is the height of selfishness. I have no sympathy or respect for people who do that. This is exactly the kind of behavior that would make me go mad to flatten your tire.

So what you are saying is, you could be gone for a week or a month, and that charger is locked up for your use.. and you are not even charging for majority of the time. Wow a charger that sits idle for 90% of the time you are gone that others cannot use, and you are justifying it?

I believe Blink charges by the hour and so does Tesla for idle charges. I am hoping you would get slapped hundreds of dollars for hogging that charge port.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is the height of selfishness. I have no sympathy or respect for people who do that. This is exactly the kind of behavior that would make me go mad to flatten your tire.

So what you are saying is, you could be gone for a week or a month, and that charger is locked up for your use.. and you are not even charging for majority of the time. Wow a charger that sits idle for 90% of the time you are gone that others cannot use, and you are justifying it?

I believe Blink charges by the hour and so does Tesla for idle charges. I am hoping you would get slapped hundreds of dollars for hogging that charge port.
See my post, above. Public Charging Etiquette - Unplugging Teslas from J1772s

You really think that's the height of selfish behavior? I'm trying to figure out how someone who parked in long-term parking (an area that is typically only frequented by those who are going to be gone 'long-term' and is typically a longer walk or a bus ride to the terminal) is expected to return and move their car. Please explain.

See my post, above. Public Charging Etiquette - Unplugging Teslas from J1772s

asasd

You really think that's the height of selfish behavior? I'm trying to figure out how someone who parked in long-term parking (an area that is typically only frequented by those who are going to be gone 'long-term' and is typically a longer walk or a bus ride to the terminal) is expected to return and move their car. Please explain.
Let me explain what I will do. I would set it up to charge to 90 or 95%, and leave a note stating that if it is not charging they can unplug me. In general in public chargers it is fairly easy to see if a car is still pulling juice or not. And then when I come back (only if) if I need the extra 10%, then I would plug it in an available charger and wait till it is charged fully.

Now in the stall setup where the car has to be moved out for others to charge, it is definitely tricky. Here in DFW airport the valet takes care of it in short term parking and in long term parking the attendant moves the car for a small tip. He would even plug it back in, if I call him a few hours in advance.

But in any case if the stall setup requires my car to be moved and there is no one else to move my car, I WILL NOT be inconsiderate and plug it in. Primarily because I find it extremely selfish to tie up a limited resource, and also I am worried an irate guy who got stranded because of me might key my car. And then I can only blame myself.

Reactions: MIT_S60