Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charging - experiences in Oct 22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one confused by this? Are you planning to stick a petrol generator in the boot, or is this some clever ploy to break all the rules of physics by recharging the car from its own batteries on the move? Why not just stick a wind turbine on the roof and sell your even greater excess generation....?
infpower.png

To make life less stressful we all need to be lobbying hotels and accommodation for destination charging. Every feedback form - overnight charging please.
Ah, yes, good idea but alas, the level of support Tesla provides for Destination Charger sites is below the obvious need. See my recent post summarising my patchy experience in IoW, France and Spain.

It may be a sign o'the times but we have found several DCs throttled back to 4kw instead of the usual 11. The same "economising" found on the ajuntament FREE chargers here in Catalunya. Lack of realisation that slower speeds equal longer stays equal fewer needs met.

Ah, yes, good idea but alas, the level of support Tesla provides for Destination Charger sites is below the obvious need. See my recent post summarising my patchy experience in IoW, France and Spain.

It may be a sign o'the times but we have found several DCs throttled back to 4kw instead of the usual 11. The same "economising" found on the ajuntament FREE chargers here in Catalunya. Lack of realisation that slower speeds equal longer stays equal fewer needs met.
I wasn’t necessarily thinking Tesla only. Several 7kW Type 2’s that you pay (mainstream network) for would be perfect. Paying is even preferable: stops them being block parked by locals/staff.

What would be even better is they are free but you have to register your car with the hotel in order to be able to use the charger.

Have a keypad on the charger where you enter your reg and if it’s there the charger starts filling up your car
Mollies (hotel) in Bristol was like that when we stayed last year. You got an app for use as a room key and where you could also enter the charging point number you’d plugged into. Worked really well and they had quite a few charging points.

Reactions: NewbieT and Zilla91
Mollies (hotel) in Bristol was like that when we stayed last year. You got an app for use as a room key and where you could also enter the charging point number you’d plugged into. Worked really well and they had quite a few charging points.
sadly hotels like Molies are so rare at the moment this is the second time it has come up on this thread in only two pages!

sadly hotels like Molies are so rare at the moment this is the second time it has come up on this thread in only two pages!
yeah.. went to future inns in cardiff.
they have 4 points, usually iced, but then, if it's not - then you need to get the card from the lobby which you use for charging. and they take deposit of 10 gbp for the card.

I can remember the days when you had to pay extra for WIFI when staying at a hotel. Sometimes they would give you a card with a code written on it and sometimes you had to go into a web based log-in screen and enter your credit card.
The hotels finally got it worked out that people just want it to work without any fuss, but it did take them about 20 years...

Reactions: M3noob
I can remember the days when you had to pay extra for WIFI when staying at a hotel. Sometimes they would give you a card with a code written on it and sometimes you had to go into a web based log-in screen and enter your credit card.
The hotels finally got it worked out that people just want it to work without any fuss, but it did take them about 20 years...
it is still the case with Premier inn and Travelodge :D

premier inn provide you 0.5 mbit (!!!) free internet. or you have to pay 5 gbp a night for something what potentially works :D. Mobile hotspot is times faster...

on the side note, I still remember how Jurys Inn was providing free wifi, but only in lobby (I was staying there in 2010 and it was one year old hotel in Derby). Alternatively, they had wired access point (you could borrow a cable from lobby) inside the room... :D so for these trips I used to take the LaFonera router with me - was small, didn't take the space, but provided wifi signal for whole room and more..

ah, the days... :D

Hi Just did a road trip with the family from Northampton to scotland on our MX and can confirm only used tesla supercharger once due to last resort. I have so far done around 835 miles and only used public chargers.

So far i did Northampton to Hamilton park, glasgow, Balmoral castle, perth, Edinburgh, newcastle(currently writing this from an hotel room in newcastle) and heading back to northampton tomorrow morning.

I have an ID4 so i used the we charge app at discounted prices which cost me around 27p per kwh. I made a special layer of maps on my google maps showing me rapid chargers across uk and at discounted rate that are compatible with the we charge app.

The chargers that i used were, Ionity, chargemaster, fastned and shell recharge and all working perfectly with no issues whatsoever.

Here is an image that permanently show on my google maps of chargers...

I don't mind sharing the chargers with anyone else who who thinks it might be useful to them?

All the chargers i listed above and more are under elli membership provided by VW and membership is £12.99 a month and gives access to all chargers under 35p per kwh.
Screenshot_20221120_223730_Maps.jpg

The first time I planned on using a non-Tesla charger was IONITY in Peterborough coming down from Scotland. Completely full. Mostly DPD vans charging apparently all but one stall was only providing 50kWh max but they made it free so people were charging to 100%. Had to share a 50kWh GridServe to get down the road to a Supercharger.

For my Gretna Green and Scotch corner are pain points. When they get busy because they are V2 it just gets silly with wait times :(