Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Charging Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In short:

1)You must have a J1772 Adapter (either 'the Can' or Tesla's) to use the vast majority of public stations. Vast majority of which are 30amps. And you have to get 'cards' for different companies like ChargePoint, Blink, etc.

2)Tesla Roadster HPC's (not many of them, but strategically located for long road trips - like along I-5 from Canada to Mexico)

3)any outdoor 110v plug, but obviously, shockingly slow. (for 2.0/2.5 owners can't have it on a GFI - didn't know that, thanks hcsharp)

4)240/50 amp chargers at RV sites which require a UMC or MC240 connector.

Last edited:
Tom Saxton wrote: "In the US, we have over 6,000 30A charging stations, mostly funded by federal grants that required the stations to not be over 30A. (No one will explain why that limit was placed, or even admit who was responsible.) We also have a sprinkling of 70A J stations."

So that got me wondering who's the genius that put the 30amp rule.

As for public charging I really like PlugShare, it has been the best for me. But my frustration is all the public charging I have found is only 6 KW (208V and 30 amps), VERY painful for any roadtrip.

Tom Saxton wrote: "In the US, we have over 6,000 30A charging stations, mostly funded by federal grants that required the stations to not be over 30A. (No one will explain why that limit was placed, or even admit who was responsible.) We also have a sprinkling of 70A J stations."

So that got me wondering who's the genius that put the 30amp rule.

Probably some misguided effort to ensure the stations were low-cost.

<tinfoilhat>Either that or a deliberate attempt to prevent the viability of long-range electric vehicles. </tinfoilhat>