Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charging stations in West Palm/Jupiter - be aware.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been checking out some public charging stations around West Palm and the results are very spotty. The Semacharger on the 5th floor of Cityplace is only available on weekends since it is behind an "employees only" gated access. Management has no plans on opening it up at any other time. Cost, when available is $.26/KWH.

Palm Beach Outlet Mall on Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. has two free ChargePoint chargers but when I went to use it three weeks ago I could not get the charger to release the handle. I called Tech Support and was told that they would fix it. Today, three weeks later it is still not functioning. Called again and was told it was a Mall problem, not a ChargePoint problem. I told them it was definitely their charger which was malfunctioning and then I notified Mall Customer Service.

Town Center Mall in Boca Raton has three bays for Teslas in the covered parking area but they were all full. I inquired at the Tesla store in the mall about the chargers availability and they said that all 3 Teslas were theirs and that you have to call ahead and they will be happy to move one of their vehicles to let you charge. (I think they are HPWC chargers) Behind the parking lot across from the Mall the Publix Greenwise market has a Chargepoint charger which is rather difficult to back into (you have to go the wrong way down the aisle and then back up) and the cost is $.49/KWH.

The Bermudiana shopping plaza in Abacoa in Jupiter off of Military Trail at University has two free chargers. One is perpetually broken (I put a sign on it asking management to fix it) and the other usually has some employee from the strip mall parking his Lexus in it all day. (I put my "Please park elsewhere" sign on his window) Nice to use if available. I've also asked Mall Management to put up EV only signs and to paint the spaces with green lines.

No problems ever at the Port St. Lucie Tesla Supercharger.

Turns out that EV charging, outside of the Supercharger,
in this neck of the woods is spotty at best.

There are chargers at Clematis St. and Federal Highway, right next door to City Place. They're on the third floor of the parking garage at the northwest corner of the intersection. More at: PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge your car!

It would be nice to have a J1772 to Tesla extension for the difficult parking spots. May be Tesla will make one? If you're good at wiring then you might consider building the extension cable yourself, but to be on the safe side use 4 AWG wire if you can.

Palm Beach Outlet Mall on Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. has two free ChargePoint chargers but when I went to use it three weeks ago I could not get the charger to release the handle. I called Tech Support and was told that they would fix it. Today, three weeks later it is still not functioning. Called again and was told it was a Mall problem, not a ChargePoint problem. I told them it was definitely their charger which was malfunctioning and then I notified Mall .
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think ChargePoint charging stations are owned by the property owner and ChargePoint is just the equipment supplier and billing network. In that case if they're broken it really is the mall's problem, not ChargePoint's (though it's probably ChargePoint who would service it).

We took a relaxed, month-long supercharged cross-country journey several weeks ago from Greensboro, NC to Palm Springs, CA. using Tesla's free supercharger network almost exclusively. But the odd hotel/resort HPWC or 220-V/100-V public charger was free as well. The account of public charging in your neck of the woods bodes well neither for the EV traveler or tourism in your neck of the woods. Thank you for the heads-up.