TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Public charging UK - south of Birmingham

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Joostdz, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Joostdz

Joostdz Member

Hi All,

I am Joost from the Netherlands. In two weeks time I have a wedding near Birmingham (area of Worcester and Droitwich). Now I am staying in a hotel in Droitwich for a few nights, but they are not sure if I can charge my car over there.
    I found a close-by charger in Droitwich at a car park near the hotel (1 km away), which could serve as a back-up.
    I've found it's a charging station from eVolt and is operated by APT.
    Does any of you know what kind of pass or app I might need to start a charging session?

Thanks a lot!

Attached Files:

2. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

Just to note, there's also a supercharger on the M42 motorway at Hopwood Park about 20 minutes from Droitwich if you run out of luck with local chargers.

3. culverwood

culverwood Member

The superchargers at Northampton on the way up the M1 (and Newport Pagnell Services on the way back) and at Warwick and Oxford Services if you take the M40 may also be of use to you.

4. arg

arg Supporting Member

I think you have old information

I haven't visited myself, but based on the operator's maps:

That unit (in the carpark of the Waitrose supermarket) appears to be a 7kW type-2 point on the Chargemaster/Polar network. They operate a scheme with a monthly subscription to get an RFID card ("Polar Plus"), and also have a phone app ("Polar Instant") for occasional use. However, I just tried to access that point with the Polar Instant app, but it says "This chargepoint is available only to POLAR Plus" - probably the online comms to the point are broken and it only works with the card.

A short distance away, at the Chateau Impney hotel, there is a rapid charger on the CYC network. This can be accessed on the CYC app ("ChargeCar" in the Apple AppStore), and they also have an automated telephone-based service. It's quite expensive - £5.50 for the first 45 minutes, then 15p/minute with a max of £12. A reasonable cost if you have a CHAdeMO adapter; although the point also has a type2 cable, it's priced at the same rate and so too expensive unless you are desperate.

• Informative x 1
  5. Joostdz

Joostdz Member

Alright, thanks for the information!
    I found the info on Chargemap.com. But it's good to know that information in there can be outdated.
    Probably need to rely on the nearby SuC then.. I'll do a bit of digging into Polar as well, let's see if I might be able to get a card at home, I see on the website the first 3 months subscription is free so I might try.

6. cyberkryten

cyberkryten Member

I have found the CYC chargers to be reliable with Chademo, more so than the Ecotricity ones that are at several of the motorway services.