TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Public charging with credit card

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by qadaemon, Jan 9, 2017.

1. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask.

Why aren't there public charging stations that just take a credit card like a gas pump? Or why haven't I seen them? I have three different smart cards and multiple apps, and it's horribly frustrating to find a new one that I have to sign up for and activate and so on. Is the problem regulatory, technological, or something much more obvious?

2. MisterT2

MisterT2 Member

The EVGo chargers in my area take credit cards for Chademo charging. Fast and kind pricey. Great in a pinch.

3. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Indirectly some of them do, and I wish more would get onboard. At some of the stations, when you are there, open up the Plugshare app on your phone. Have location services on, so it can detect that you are there at that charger. Then select that on the map in the Plugshare app to look at the details. Some of them will show details for "Pay With Plugshare". It will let you put in your credit card info into the app, and then they will send the transaction through Plugshare to whatever network it is to activate the charging session.

This is actually pretty convenient and seems like it would do what you are looking for, but I don't think

4. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

I found the same problem in Europe. Every charging station provider dances to his own tune.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

There is one at my office.

IMG_0399.JPG

Attached Files:

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

7. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

This is exactly what I'm interested in. Glad to know it exists & hope they show up elsewhere, or at least something easier than typical. I've ran into many where my phone has no signal for whatever reason or the app won't open or has forgotten to stay auto-logged in or its too cold to really be trying to type a credit card number or whatever.

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Made by EATON.