Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I got my MYLR today and I'm probably just being a div, but I tried to charge at a public charger during a shopping trip and I was so confused about the charging I couldn't figure it out.

I got two with the car, one has a Tesla adapter in it and the other was just an end to end charger (guessing regular 7kw for public charging) Further adding to my confusion, the Tesla next to me had neither of these and looked like an after market blue one.

Question is, of the two pre supplied chargers which one do I use for the following? And any tips or ideas on actually how to charge LOL?

I got the socket open on the car but couldn't plug in to the public one.

Pic below.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221210-212902_Connected Kerb.jpg
    Screenshot_20221210-212902_Connected Kerb.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 228
The lead in the Tesla zip up bag is for 10a charging from a domestic 13a socket. It will deliver charge at ~8-9 miles per hour.

The other, 'end-to end' one in your car is the cable which fits an untethered Type 2 charge point as shown in your image. This will deliver charge at ~30 miles per hour at 7kWh.

Plug one end into the charging unit first, then the other into the charge port on your car and follow instructions (reverse when unplugging...car end first then from the charge point). The fact that another car had a blue version is not an issue, I have a 2020 Model 3 that came with a 5m Mennekes blue cable & my Model Y has come with a thinner black Tesla version of the same (haven't unwrapped or used it yet so can't confirm the length.)

Rapid chargers including Tesla superchargers use CCS (combined charging system) which also includes the Type 2 socket but extended to incorporate the additional pins you can see in your cars' charge port.

Reactions: Xdeanyy
In my personal experience, about 50% of the non Tesla, public chargers I’ve ever used don’t work.

Mine too - sadly.

GridServe has been OK for me, and has contactless that actually worked!. Can't think of any other non-Tesla brand that has been reliable - but I avoid them like the plague so haven't got much data to go on - although each time I look at Comments in PlugShare / Zap-Map, when looking for a 3rd party charger, I usually find recent "not working" comments for chargers in the vicinity - and on one case "recent" was frequent comments over the preceding 24 months ...

I got two with the car, one has a Tesla adapter in it

Just to expand on @Drew57 answer:

The lead in the Tesla zip up bag is for 10a charging from a domestic 13a socket

You can buy alternative adaptors for the Tesla charger - Commando connectors - e.g. for campsite - and European connectors e.g. Schuko

Thanks all for your responses! Successfully charged this morning. Usual plan is to supercharge via Tesla but I do have a public charger downstairs that's just been installed, so hopefully that'll work for a few weeks before it breaks!
Regarding Supercharging, you will find that there are two designs of charging stall. Both types have the cables attached so you don't need to worry about that aspect. The earlier type (known as V2) has two cables ... just to save you faffing around it's the top cable of the two that you will need to use. They can be awkward to to detach from their holster positions ... don't be timid ... push firmly up and out. I have known a couple of instances where the force required to pull out the top cable has led to me to dislodge an insecurely attached lower cable that then falls to the ground ... or if you are parked really tightly up the the charging stall it can even strike the back of your car so take care! Superchargers with only one cable are newer, even faster, V3 types.

I use a 13amp extranal socket to charge my M3LR .

I have never had an issue with this but I work from home and hardly use the car during the week.

I have noticed sentry use about 10% if I do not plug in but if I use the charger I loose nothing.

I need to rant so I’ve chosen the nearest thread to the topic a search has thrown up rather than starting a new one..

Supercharging at Hilton Park. I walk back to my car after a comfort break to find someone has parked next to me with nearly all the other bays free and is just plugging in to charge. Yep.. it’s a V2 supercharger and it’s the other one of the pair. I ask the guy nicely if anyone has explained to him the pairing as I was pulling 130kw and him plugging in to the pair would halve my rate and limit his. He says no, he didn’t know, but it’s ok, he wasn’t in a hurry…

I had to move my car to regain the rate.

Am I right to be annoyed he didn’t offer to move or is it a simple 50/50 on who should move as he didn’t realise, and he didn’t feel inconvenienced so it was my problem and therefore me to move?

I feel I’m probably wrong thinking he should have moved as Karma resulted in getting a puncture 20 mins later, but that’s another story.

Reactions: ArunG
I need to rant so I’ve chosen the nearest thread to the topic a search has thrown up rather than starting a new one..

Supercharging at Hilton Park. I walk back to my car after a comfort break to find someone has parked next to me with nearly all the other bays free and is just plugging in to charge. Yep.. it’s a V2 supercharger and it’s the other one of the pair. I ask the guy nicely if anyone has explained to him the pairing as I was pulling 130kw and him plugging in to the pair would halve my rate and limit his. He says no, he didn’t know, but it’s ok, he wasn’t in a hurry…

Am I right to be annoyed he didn’t offer to move or is it a simple 50/50 on who should move as he didn’t realise, and he didn’t feel inconvenienced so it was my problem and therefore me to move?

I feel I’m probably wrong thinking he should have moved as Karma resulted in getting a puncture 20 mins later, but that’s another story.
He should have moved, no doubt. Regarding the karma bit, don’t know what happened to him for being such a douc*****. Hope you managed to sort out the puncture without too much of trouble.

Supercharging at Hilton Park. I walk back to my car after a comfort break to find someone has parked next to me with nearly all the other bays free and is just plugging in to charge. Yep.. it’s a V2 supercharger and it’s the other one of the pair. I ask the guy nicely if anyone has explained to him the pairing as I was pulling 130kw and him plugging in to the pair would halve my rate and limit his. He says no, he didn’t know, Ibut it’s ok, he wasn’t in a hurry…

Not sure why you are posting this.
How is this my problem?:)

I had something similar where I was just about to leave a SC when someone plugged into a paired stall further down. I told them I was leaving and that if he used my stall he wouldn’t be splitting power with somebody else. He hesitated for a moment then reckoned he didn’t need a faster charge so it would be ok… without considering the other person that he could have allowed to continue charging at full rate. “I’m all right Jack”

He should have moved, no doubt. Regarding the karma bit, don’t know what happened to him for being such a douc*****. Hope you managed to sort out the puncture without too much of trouble.
Thanks. I’ve one of those puncture plug repair kits and much to my wife’s amazement (and secretly mine too), I plugged the leak in 10 mins and it was still holding when I got home 20 miles away.

• Informative
Reactions: thax1 and spdpsba