Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

public parking experiences in garages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mdh

VIN 2747 P4679
Jul 30, 2012
Saratoga,CA
Wondering... the Tesla S might be the widest sedan around. Even wider than a Panarama. On par with most full size SUVs. Any experience parking in public garages in San Francisco (as an example). Easy? Painful?

Funny, this is one of my biggest concerns, especially since there are no parking sensors and worry about dings, etc.

thanks in advance,

Thank you so much for responding. The pictures were interesting, but not sure I saw a picture of a Tesla S parked? So it is your view that it should not be any more difficult than a Mercedes S? The three inches should not be a deal killer in your mind? thank you in so much.

The opposite, actually. The person who posted the pictures notes that those cars are narrower than Model S and they don't even fit in the spots.

I frequently have to park downtown Toronto ($30/day!) and often have trouble squeezing my current car (which is narrower than Model S by a few inches) into spots. I hate door dings and usually spend time driving around in circles until I find a decent spot that minimizes the possibility of the guy next to me hitting my door with his.

The opposite, actually. The person who posted the pictures notes that those cars are narrower than Model S and they don't even fit in the spots.

I frequently have to park downtown Toronto ($30/day!) and often have trouble squeezing my current car (which is narrower than Model S by a few inches) into spots. I hate door dings and usually spend time driving around in circles until I find a decent spot that minimizes the possibility of the guy next to me hitting my door with his.

I know I must sound funny... but, this is really my only speed bump slowing up finalizing my order for Dec/Jan pickup. Would love to hear from more owners...

I know I must sound funny... but, this is really my only speed bump slowing up finalizing my order for Dec/Jan pickup. Would love to hear from more owners...

mdh, I think the hard truth is that the Model S is w-i-d-e and for that matter, l-o-n-g too. I'm actually going to have to be very watchful when parking it in my suburban 2-car garage at home next to our tiny second car (Mini Clubman).

Parking spots in structures in SF are what they are; narrow and packed together - one may have to do an n-point routine just to get in/out of a spot. If that's where you'd be parking on a regular basis, then, the Model S may be a painful beast to live with IMO.

I often scout out parking lots using the satellite view in Google maps/Bing maps before deciding which vehicle to drive. I am a big defensive parking advocate. Parking lot anxiety is my #1 concern with the S. #2 is avoiding the jackwagons on Beechmont Ave that are texting/applying makeup/playing with the kids/etc while driving.

#2 is avoiding the jackwagons on Beechmont Ave that are texting/applying makeup/playing with the kids/etc while driving.

No kidding, texting is a growing hazard, despite being illegal. I was nearly the filling in a Prius / Roadster / cargo van sandwich last week. Idiot was texting while driving on a highway. It was a 2 lane with lots of oncoming traffic and soft shoulders so I had absolutely nowhere to go. I finally got his attention by holding the horn for five seconds. You should have seen the surprised look on his face when he finally looked up. Geez!

No kidding, texting is a growing hazard, despite being illegal. I was nearly the filling in a Prius / Roadster / cargo van sandwich last week. Idiot was texting while driving on a highway. It was a 2 lane with lots of oncoming traffic and soft shoulders so I had absolutely nowhere to go. I finally got his attention by holding the horn for five seconds. You should have seen the surprised look on his face when he finally looked up. Geez!
Okay Doug_G, this is for you:

Screaming Banshee

At 139 dB you can be certain that you are heard.:scared:

Cheers =)

In SF, there are some electric parking spots at 5th and Mission garage at ground level. If those are gone, the basement is your best choice -- the spots down there are bigger than other floors, and tend to get forgotten about.
A friend of the family paints parking lots for a living (he designs layouts for the lots, others paint), and he mentioned the 5th and Mission basement trick to me and it hasn't missed yet.

Try parking in the Ghirardelli Square parking garage! It'd need the better part of two spots put together.

Nah, Ghirardelli Square isn't _that_ bad...

I take my '08 Odyssey there all the time. It's almost *exactly* the same size as the Model S (including the turning radius), so while I find the S is a big car, when put into perspective along with my current ride, I'm feeling a little more comfortable. (on the other hand, the minivan has sliding doors, which make at least half the passengers have an easier time getting out).

What is bad? For me that would be the UCSF medical center parking garage. Nasty, nasty, nasty. I need to go there every few months and pray to the parking goddess that I find a wide space each time. (next bad is my office parking garage. I loathe the garage so much I park at a different building now).

/Mitch.

It is indeed. It is more comparable to the other cars such as the Audi A8, Mercedes S class, etc.
It took some getting used to as it is larger than what I was used to.
It handles like a much smaller car, but if you do have a tight spot to get into I would be very careful as you get used to it.

While it is a wide car I find it extremely easy to drive and park as it has a very nice turning radius. I work in a high rise office building and don't have any issue maneuvering in our extremely tight parking garage. I had an M5 previously and I find the Model S just as easy/easier to park!

Certainly work a test drive to check it out if you are on the fence, I predict you will love it.

hi all,
I compare model s vs other cars like Lexus rx, gs, BMW 5 series,etc and I find that models is a very big and wide car. anyone having trouble driving model s and get into tight space or parking?

The experience will be different for each person - probably the best way to decide is to test drive (including parking) and see if it is comfortable for you.