Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

public parking experiences in garages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The experience will be different for each person - probably the best way to decide is to test drive (including parking) and see if it is comfortable for you.

So true. If you're someone used to driving, say...a tank or a bulldozer, the Model S will be no problem. But if you're used to a Mini Cooper, might I suggest you look for two parking spots side by side and aim for somewhere in the middle of them. And always remember: practise makes perfect. :smile:

So true. If you're someone used to driving, say...a tank or a bulldozer, the Model S will be no problem. But if you're used to a Mini Cooper, might I suggest you look for two parking spots side by side and aim for somewhere in the middle of them. And always remember: practise makes perfect. :smile:
For practicing yes, but I don't recommend you leave the vehicle in the "two parking spot" position as a final parking state.

Why not? It's not like it doesn't happen in every parking lot on the continent. :smile:
I know you were kidding but it's a good question nonetheless.

1. It's "wrong".
2. I don't want to get keyed.
3. I don't want my car destroyed by a towing company that doesn't know how to transport this vehicle.

Mostly 2 and 3, but a little of 1.

I park in a public lot at a MetoNorth station everyday, and do find the car fit fine on "end" spots but is a little tight in middle spots. That said, I've taken to parking further from the station at a wider spot. Being on the second train of the day means I really can pick from almost any spot, and I like knowing I'm unlikely to get a door ding... But come spring I'm going to have some serious sap issues.

It's a long car and I have been setting the suspension to High or Very High to make sure I clear the bump stop, whether nose in or tail in. This way I can park as far in as possible and not have the car jut out too much.

You've been on here long enough to know this Kip, but for the sake of others who might not, if you use this tactic, make sure to check the height again before pulling out. The car can lower/settle while parked and you are away. Some owners have damaged their cars by pulling out after doing this and scraping the car on the bump stop or curb.

Personally, I would rather leave the car hanging out than hovering over the bump stop. People are used to long vehicles (minivans, Audi A7s/A8s, etc.) in garages so I'm less worried about that than my own forgetfullness when I am in a hurry and have other things on my mind.

FWIW.

Cheers