Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Rolec EV charger failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
guys, anyone faced similar situation?

We do have couple of free Rolec EV chargers at our site. it is 7.2 kw chargers.

today out of 2 available - both were not working with M3 at all.
First one - after plugging in to charger and then into the car - it just doesn't detect anything. like empty cable plugged
Second - after plugging in it starts to charge (blinking blue on car) and few seconds later turns red, saying charging failed.

interestingly, another chap connected his Vauxhall Corsa-e and it charges as it should.

p.s. tried 2 different cables - both produce same result.

anyone faced any similar issues?

Not had an issue with a Rolec, but I had an issue with a charge place Scotland charger once. I was advised to hold the charging plug up a bit while it was connecting. This did the trick. Seems some charging cables pull down just enough to not make a good contact with the car*. This might be happening at the other end. Or it might have nothing to do with this:)

* the two connecters that do the comms between car and charger are at the top and they need to have a good connection before the charge will start.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I'm struggling to help.

But I do use Rolec EV chargers weekly. Unfortunately I don't know what specific model they are. They are 3 phase and I get 11kw.

The only oddity I have seen... The ones I use have two type 2 ports per charger post. Sometimes when the 2nd port is in use by a different make if car, I do get a "communication failed" error - or something like that. But I just disconnect the cable at the Rolec end and reconnect instantly, then it works. But I only see this when the 2nd port is in use.

I use the blue 3-phase type 2 cable that came with the car.

If you've tried a different cable, it's certainly a strange issue.

Does it briefly show it's charging on the screen? Do you briefly see what voltage the car gets from the charger?

I'm struggling to help.

But I do use Rolec EV chargers weekly. Unfortunately I don't know what specific model they are. They are 3 phase and I get 11kw.

The only oddity I have seen... The ones I use have two type 2 ports per charger post. Sometimes when the 2nd port is in use by a different make if car, I do get a "communication failed" error - or something like that. But I just disconnect the cable at the Rolec end and reconnect instantly, then it works. But I only see this when the 2nd port is in use.

I use the blue 3-phase type 2 cable that came with the car.

If you've tried a different cable, it's certainly a strange issue.

Does it briefly show it's charging on the screen? Do you briefly see what voltage the car gets from the charger?
no, no voltage appears, no amps appear - just nothing - in one case it stops with an error and in another case absolutely nothing happens.
no the tesla m3 which was using the "working" one left and I plugged in the socket he used and it is charging with no problems.

The same Rolec? Or a different one?
Same rolec different port.

Charging Pole A:
- Left charging port: shows as active and working but no reaction on M3 when plugged. Vauxhal Corsa e charges without any issues.
- right charging port is dead (and always was)

Charging Pole B:
- Left charging port: shows active. Charging does not start - error and red indivator shown on car
- Right charging port: previously occupied by M3. Works with my car as well.

I wonder what could be an issue with charging that it does work with Corsa and does not with Tesla

Same rolec different port.

Charging Pole A:
- Left charging port: shows as active and working but no reaction on M3 when plugged. Vauxhal Corsa e charges without any issues.
- right charging port is dead (and always was)

Charging Pole B:
- Left charging port: shows active. Charging does not start - error and red indivator shown on car
- Right charging port: previously occupied by M3. Works with my car as well.

I wonder what could be an issue with charging that it does work with Corsa and does not with Tesla
Try holding the plug when starting the charge as noted above. CPS consider this a known issue with Teslas.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Worth checking that there isn't something debris in the other ports. My Tesla plug is a tight fit in some charging sockets. Even a small difference in fitting might be the difference between the e-corsa and the M3. Worth wiggling it to make sure you're getting a good connection. See also:

Worth checking that there isn't something debris in the other ports. My Tesla plug is a tight fit in some charging sockets. Even a small difference in fitting might be the difference between the e-corsa and the M3. Worth wiggling it to make sure you're getting a good connection. See also:

But the same cable works on another charger, but only on 1 port of 2. So it's not a cable. Also it's not a car because it charges perfectly fine at other locations with the same cable

But the same cable works on another charger, but only on 1 port of 2. So it's not a cable. Also it's not a car because it charges perfectly fine at other locations with the same cable
But it could be a bit of debris in the socket that is preventing the cable from fully connecting. The 'faulty' socket could be worn slightly more allowing the plug to sit looser in the socket and make a less than perfect connection.