Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Rolec EV charger failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have rented a straight from the dock brand new M3 from UFO Drive. I have encountered two separate Rolex chargers. The first a single port version, it did not work however there was an iPace charging at the second one at that site. In the morning the iPace was gone and I tried that one, did not work. The second site was a dual port on a single post. Same issue, neither side worked. The symptom is exactly the same on all of them. Blue light on charger, normal according to Rolec instructions, when I plug the cable into the M3 the charge port locks and the “T” light goes black instantly. It is obvious that Rolec is doing something that does not adhere to the Type 2 communication standard as the car/cable combination has worked perfectly at all of the other Type 2 chargers I have used on this trip. Unfortunately it seems that the hotel chain that I use has gone with Rolec at all of their properties in the UK and this is very inconvenient.

I have rented a straight from the dock brand new M3 from UFO Drive. I have encountered two separate Rolex chargers. The first a single port version, it did not work however there was an iPace charging at the second one at that site. In the morning the iPace was gone and I tried that one, did not work. The second site was a dual port on a single post. Same issue, neither side worked. The symptom is exactly the same on all of them. Blue light on charger, normal according to Rolec instructions, when I plug the cable into the M3 the charge port locks and the “T” light goes black instantly. It is obvious that Rolec is doing something that does not adhere to the Type 2 communication standard as the car/cable combination has worked perfectly at all of the other Type 2 chargers I have used on this trip. Unfortunately it seems that the hotel chain that I use has gone with Rolec at all of their properties in the UK and this is very inconvenient.
Same issue with my M3 on rolec charger at work. Blue light on the charger, no light on the car. Other cars charge just fine, including one (older) M3P. Using charging cable that came with the car.

I only managed to got it to work once. Work facilities team is saying the chargers are “temperamental” but can’t do anything to help (installer says it’s working fine..)

Same issue with my M3 on rolec charger at work. Blue light on the charger, no light on the car. Other cars charge just fine, including one (older) M3P. Using charging cable that came with the car.

I only managed to got it to work once. Work facilities team is saying the chargers are “temperamental” but can’t do anything to help (installer says it’s working fine..)
Heh. So definitely Rolec issue here!!

So in my workplace we have total 4 ports and only 1 really working with Teslas and 2 Teslas so far... Things might get peculiar at some point ;))
Interesting that when I have contacted Rlec themselves, they said there's nothing they can do and operator/owner on site should be dealing with them sorting it out. But what you really can do if they are just a pile of crap really?