Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Stock Traders/Owners

Do you own publicly traded stocks?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Tesla owner or future Tesla owner, do you trade publicly traded stocks? Everyone has their reason as to why or why not trade stock but why do YOU do it? Curious to hear & learn from each other's answers & thoughts.

Been a long-time investor in Mutual Funds. Never bought individual stocks until we drove and bought a Tesla (lack of time and interest: no other company piqued our interest to trade/invest individually). Since we loved the car and the mission we decided to start investing in Tsla.

Since then, have been learning a tremendous amount about trading, investing ideas, jargon and SEC filings on this here forum. It has spurred us to consider doing some other trades (not necessarily investments) to better understand the market and how it works.

Not sure if it answers your question since I'm not really a trader, but more of a long-term investor.

As a Tesla owner or future Tesla owner, do you trade publicly traded stocks? Everyone has their reason as to why or why not trade stock but why do YOU do it? Curious to hear & learn from each other's answers & thoughts.

We've been investing (long-term only!) in individual stocks and bonds in my family for a long time, particularly on my mother's side (I have some records from my great-grandmother's stock trades.) I actually don't feel like sharing all my personal stories in such a public place, but suffice it to say that I've been analyzing individual stocks since I was in elementary school. I learned most of my principles of investing from my grandmother, who lived off her investments nearly all her life, supported her husband with them, and put her daughter and me through college, and still died with a lot of money. I'm not as good as her but I do all right for myself.

My family basically doesn't believe in mutual funds. When you buy a corporate stock, you're already paying one layer of management. When you buy a mutual fund, you're paying two layers of management. You're already losing out, automatically. (This doesn't really apply as much to real estate funds, which often buy buildings directly and manage them.)

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I learned most of my principles of investing from my grandmother, who lived off her investments nearly all her life, supported her husband with them, and put her daughter and me through college, and still died with a lot of money. I'm not as good as her but I do all right for myself.

Great story - love those.
Respect for Gma neroden. Doubly so given generational context. Thanks for sharing that.

My family basically doesn't believe in mutual funds. When you buy a corporate stock, you're already paying one layer of management. When you buy a mutual fund, you're paying two layers of management. You're already losing out, automatically. (This doesn't really apply as much to real estate funds, which often buy buildings directly and manage them.)

Similar in spirit here. Never been a believer in stock diversification nor 'management value' fees. We diversify outside the stock market (income producing real-estate and similar), but within the market we select individual stocks and go heavy on those. TSLA currently #1 , Apple, Disney distant participants. Use LEAPs to leverage when called for.
Significant investments external to market allow a higher focused risk with. market $s.
And when 'parking' liquidity, I'll use industry targeted ETFs, including REIT based with good dividend basis.