Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public Tesla HPWC at Mote Marine in Sarasota, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once upon a time when Tesla was offering only Roadsters they did make some promises to provide referral rewards to folks who helped them sell a few cars. Back then our FL manager at the time (Will Nicholas) agreed to give me an extra charger but suggested I wait till Model S came out and to take an HPWC. I'm happy to say that Will's successor in FL, Graham Carroll, honored that agreement a couple of months back and that I have in turn donated the charger to Mote Marine Aquarium in Sarasota where it is now installed for public use.

Mote has a fantastic aquarium which is a great place for families and kids to visit.

Mote Marine Laboratory has been a leader in marine research since it was founded in 1955. Today, we incorporate public outreach as a key part of our mission. Mote is an independent nonprofit organization and has seven centers for marine research, the public Mote Aquarium and an Education Division specializing in public programs for all ages.

The Tesla HPWC is immediately to your left, in the shade of the palm trees in front of the main aquarium entrance. Signage is not yet in place but the spaces are marked "permit holders only" for the time being; feel free to use the charger when you come visit - it is free of charge (although any small donation that you care to make at the front desk will go towards education and marine research, and will be much appreciated). I'll get pictures this week and post them here so the location is easy to find.

Huge thanks to Graham and Will at Tesla and to other local owners who bought cars on my recommendation (especially Warren, who bought two!), I hope you don't hold it against me! :)

Note 1. This is additional to the HPWC being installed in the Keys and there's more news on that to come soon.

Note 2. Mote Aquarium also has a Chargepoint charger already installed which also operates free of charge but does require a Chargepoint card to operate.

Update; tested the charger this morning and it's working fine; has an 80A breaker switch in the box below the charger. My car started pulling 48A but I dialed it up to 64A. Mote also installed a NEMA 14-50 to the right and below the HPWC so that Roadsters can plug in and charge also. They will be marking up two spaces with signage.

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 5.JPG

I hope the dip switches are set to limit to 64A. Why not a 100A breaker?

Didn't try to check the dipswitches myself, but it worked ok for me. Mote had a cable they could use there but rating wasn't hefty enough for 100A On the island here voltage fluctuates around 201-202V, never gets higher than 208; don't know if that was also a limiting factor. I left my car charging for about 2 hours to confirm it worked ok though.

Didn't try to check the dipswitches myself, but it worked ok for me. Mote had a cable they could use there but rating wasn't hefty enough for 100A On the island here voltage fluctuates around 201-202V, never gets higher than 208; don't know if that was also a limiting factor. I left my car charging for about 2 hours to confirm it worked ok though.

I'm not worried about it working. I'm worried about someone setting their car for 80A (or 65A) and exceeding the maximum load of an 80A breaker if the dip switches aren't set right.