Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle Lamps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got around to installing all four of my puddle lamps. Geeky, but LOVE them!

tesla-puddle3-sm.jpg

tesla-puddle2-sm.jpg

tesla-puddle1-sm.jpg

Reactions: caltechkid
Great job Steveho. I have ordered (from China) a Red T that projects just the T Tesla Symbol. I would like to ask you a question. Did you make those puddle lite clamps with the screw or are these something new? I plan to leave my existing lamps and place the puddle lite hole out toward the door handle as far as I can. I was thinking I would simply tap into existing puddle lite wires. Any recommendations? Also I have the MX so will only need two, unless I can think of a way to put puddle lites on Falcon doors. Thanks.

@ScottieLV - I designed my own lamp holder, and 3d printed it. I built my own 3d printer. Screw clamps down on the door trim. Good to know: The door trim is all plastic, so easy to enlarge the hole. I used a drill with a grinder bit.

I also bought the mating connector and pins for the wiring harness so I just plug into the puddle lamp plug. I would suggest disconnecting the existing puddle lamp as it would wash out the logo. Then you can use that harness. I didn't see any reason to have the existing puddle lamps as these are very bright, brighter than the original lamps.

Since I only enlarged the hole a little, I could return it back to factory and nobody would know. Just pull out my device, and plug back in the puddle lamp. I would recommend the same, get rid of the original and just replace it with these.

Ok full steps:
1. Designed my own lamp holder, and 3d printed them. Very simple design in Designspark mechanical 2.0.
2. Thread on the holder to the lamp.
3. Solder the pins to the wires and slide them into the mating connector (bought these online).
4. Pry out the existing lamps.
5. Enlarge hole using grinder bit in a drill. The door trim is plastic so it takes very little time for each door.
6. Plug in the new lamp and slide it into the hole.
7. Aim the T logo.
8. Tighten the clamp to hold it in the door, although this is not needed since my puddle lamps are a tight fit in the hole anyway. And in actuality, I didn't clamp 2 of them down since I broke some of my pieces. So 2 are held in place by friction. If it ever gets loose, I'll put the clamps back in after reprinting the holder.

Notes:
1. These new lamps are much brighter than the existing puddle lamps. So just yank out the old ones.
2. I did not order PUP so I had no back door lamps. But the hole is there, just covered by the trim. I used an x-acto knife to open up a hole in the material. Very easy step.
3. The wiring in the back doors was taped in place. I took off the speaker grill and was able to go in thru that hole with the x-acto knife to cut the tape that was holding it up. So I did not take off the door panels at all.
4. The lights do time out. Not sure how long.
5. There is plenty of clearance between the door and the frame. These can easily extend out further without hitting anything. So that mine are not entirely flush is no issue at all.

@ScottieLV - I designed my own lamp holder, and 3d printed it. I built my own 3d printer. Screw clamps down on the door trim. Good to know: The door trim is all plastic, so easy to enlarge the hole. I used a drill with a grinder bit.

I also bought the mating connector and pins for the wiring harness so I just plug into the puddle lamp plug. I would suggest disconnecting the existing puddle lamp as it would wash out the logo. Then you can use that harness. I didn't see any reason to have the existing puddle lamps as these are very bright, brighter than the original lamps.

Since I only enlarged the hole a little, I could return it back to factory and nobody would know. Just pull out my device, and plug back in the puddle lamp. I would recommend the same, get rid of the original and just replace it with these.
where did you get the connector & pins ??

thanks

where did you get the connector & pins ??

It took me a while to figure out the connector. The pins are regular pins that I got from Mouser or Digikey. I'll look for the order form for the connector and post when I find it. It was really nice to be able to plug directly into the Tesla harness with no splicing.

I think I have a few extras. Yes I have several extras. I had to order 25 connectors, so I also ordered 50 (or maybe more) pins.

I could send some out if people are interested for very little cost.

Hello all,

i am a good friend of artsci. When I first saw his puddle lights in person, they looked so awesome, I just wanted to get one. Since my car is not red (I have Titanium), I wanted the lights to be slightly different (clear) and only install the driver and passenger side. I searched on line, and got the lights through AL's & Ed's autosound. I did the install myself - although it took a couple of hours of fitting a square hole in a round object.

If you look closely at the photo, I also installed the lighted door sill as well. "Model S" on the driver side and "Tesla" on the passenger side.

As a side note, I purchased from artci site, the Lighted Rear T and Applique.
IMG_0480 (1).jpg

Hello all,

i am a good friend of artsci. When I first saw his puddle lights in person, they looked so awesome, I just wanted to get one. Since my car is not red (I have Titanium), I wanted the lights to be slightly different (clear) and only install the driver and passenger side. I searched on line, and got the lights through AL's & Ed's autosound. I did the install myself - although it took a couple of hours of fitting a square hole in a round object.

If you look closely at the photo, I also installed the lighted door sill as well. "Model S" on the driver side and "Tesla" on the passenger side.

As a side note, I purchased from artci site, the Lighted Rear T and Applique.View attachment 212013

Artis,

Your post reminds me that I've gone through two sets. The first was from China, and two of the lamps failed after about a year or so. The second set was from an outfit in Chicago, but I can't remember it's and don't have a record. They're working fine.

Has anyone been able to find these lights on eBay ?? I saw them a few months ago, but can not find any that have the tesla logo.
Does anyone know how the logos are made?? Maybe we could make our own and insert into the case ??

I see that they are all gone. Maybe Tesla was going after them. But if you search "ghost shadow lamp" or "projector puddle lamp" they probably have the tesla logo still available, they just can't advertise it.

It took me a while to figure out the connector. The pins are regular pins that I got from Mouser or Digikey. I'll look for the order form for the connector and post when I find it. It was really nice to be able to plug directly into the Tesla harness with no splicing.

I think I have a few extras. Yes I have several extras. I had to order 25 connectors, so I also ordered 50 (or maybe more) pins.

I could send some out if people are interested for very little cost.
I would like to get 8 sets of the connectors and pins. I would trade you a cubby drawer that I made.