Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle Lamps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

+++I have corrected a couple of errors in the above post+++

I am a good friend of artsci. When I first saw his puddle lights in person, they looked so awesome, I just wanted to get one. Since my car is not red (I have Titanium), I wanted the lights to be slightly different (clear) and only install the driver and passenger side. I searched on line, and got the lights through AL's & Ed's autosound. I did the install myself - although it took a couple of hours of fitting a round object in a square hole.

If you look closely at the photo, I also installed the lighted door sill as well. "Model S" on the driver side and "Tesla" on the passenger side.

As a side note, I purchased the Lighted Rear T and Applique from the site - evappliques.com.View attachment 212013

Hello all,

i am a good friend of artsci. When I first saw his puddle lights in person, they looked so awesome, I just wanted to get one. Since my car is not red (I have Titanium), I wanted the lights to be slightly different (clear) and only install the driver and passenger side. I searched on line, and got the lights through AL's & Ed's autosound. I did the install myself - although it took a couple of hours of fitting a square hole in a round object.

If you look closely at the photo, I also installed the lighted door sill as well. "Model S" on the driver side and "Tesla" on the passenger side.

As a side note, I purchased from the Lighted Rear T and Applique from evappliques.com.

I bought my logo lights from buy4car.com about three years ago. I think artsci and I did ours about the same time. My first set are still working. I think they time out when the car goes to sleep. I don't think it has anything to do with the logo lights timing out on their own.

I recently posted on another thread the info that Steveho is referring to about the part numbers for the connectors. I don't wish to duplicate my post so, please go look at posts #81 and #91 on Ground light on bottom of door In post #81 I described how I took the existing clear puddle light and using the holesaw bit that came with my logo lights, I cut through the back of the Tesla puddle light to make the frame for the logo light. Still working.

In post #91, I posted the links to the connectors and another small project I have for the connectors to add puddle lights at another place in the trunk. Take a look please.

I found that if I added some spacers (like washers on a bolt) from scrap cardboard around the outside of the logo light before I put the nut on the logo light, I could get the nut to align with the size of the puddle light hole.

I installed my blue T puddle lamps on my blue MS75.

fsZvvvp.jpg

VoYEAgR.jpg

They also are on alibaba for double the price. Looks like they ship from china since it will take 3 weeks to get here. I ordered a set and will report back after they arrive. As long as the brightness is good, these should be pretty simple!
Any idea if these work in the Model X as well or just the S?

I added the Ghost lights months ago- no fade so far. I choose the white/red T to keep a brighter light image. Very easy to install. Similar to other replies- just popped the old lights using a thin spatula. Then, disassembled the light unit, keeping the old black light assembly. I carefully drilled out the clear lens using a low speed drill press, and inserted the lamp unit into the lens. I spliced the lamp wires to the original to save the plug. After a bit of widening of the original lamp opening with a Dremel tool and the small sanding drum the unit fits into the original opening and looks "oem". I spliced the wires to the original wiring loom to save the plug. I can always revert to originals. I added LED strips to the frunk at the top of the rear opening, and the trunk on both sides of the tracks, and upgraded to Abstract Ocean interior lights- much brighter, only slightly higher current draw, so big issue with the control circuits. I found my underseat light wires tucked under the seat- some people have them in the carpet flap below the seats.
View media item 116668 in the image, the graininess is our garage floor coating.

I contacted a forum member here named Norm and purchased a set that he made personally. They are direct for the most part, you have to drill (dremel) a little of sides to get them to fit if you do not want to remove the door panel. Best experience, great person to work with, responds to questions extremely fast and shipping is just as fast!

I bought my logo lights from buy4car.com about three years ago. I think artsci and I did ours about the same time. My first set are still working. I think they time out when the car goes to sleep. I don't think it has anything to do with the logo lights timing out on their own.

I recently posted on another thread the info that Steveho is referring to about the part numbers for the connectors. I don't wish to duplicate my post so, please go look at posts #81 and #91 on Ground light on bottom of door In post #81 I described how I took the existing clear puddle light and using the holesaw bit that came with my logo lights, I cut through the back of the Tesla puddle light to make the frame for the logo light. Still working.

In post #91, I posted the links to the connectors and another small project I have for the connectors to add puddle lights at another place in the trunk. Take a look please.

I found that if I added some spacers (like washers on a bolt) from scrap cardboard around the outside of the logo light before I put the nut on the logo light, I could get the nut to align with the size of the puddle light hole.

Thanks Akikiki for the pointer to the older thread. I want to add these puddle lights to my car (I have the PUP) in a plug & play reversible way with the clips (and hopefully without taking off the door panel, too). I'm assuming that I can pry out the existing puddle light and unplug the connector from the rest of the existing wiring harness. I saw your parts list from Mouser...assuming I just want to attach the female connector on the puddle light I order from eBay, which part do I need to order? Do I need the female plastic connector as well as some of the pins to go inside the connector? I guess I'm having trouble visualizing what goes where.