Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle Lamps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm only interested in the plug n play set
who has link?
Not interested in drilling any holes. I've had the plug n play type on other cars for the past 4-5 years.
I didn't realize they're now avail for MS in plugin play
Thx 4 info and link

I'm only interested in the plug n play set
who has link?
Not interested in drilling any holes. I've had the plug n play type on other cars for the past 4-5 years.
I didn't realize they're now avail for MS in plugin play
Thx 4 info and link

I read a report from someone on here that the plug and play set was dim and image too fuzzy to be worth the while. I'll see if I can dig up a link for you tho

Thanks Akikiki for the pointer to the older thread. I want to add these puddle lights to my car (I have the PUP) in a plug & play reversible way with the clips (and hopefully without taking off the door panel, too). I'm assuming that I can pry out the existing puddle light and unplug the connector from the rest of the existing wiring harness. I saw your parts list from Mouser...assuming I just want to attach the female connector on the puddle light I order from eBay, which part do I need to order? Do I need the female plastic connector as well as some of the pins to go inside the connector? I guess I'm having trouble visualizing what goes where.

Aloha gopassgas, glad to help clear this up. The items you need are:

Tab Housing Pin end Female 1-1534155-1
Terminal Male Crimp type 1-928918-1
Tab Housing Pin Cover 1-1534027-1
These connectors give you the same effect as the Tesla OEM lights. However the connectors look different than what's on the back of the OEM lights because the OEM connector is mounted on the light. Remember, we are not using the OEM lights when you are using logo lights, so you need the housing that represents the same connector found on the back of the OEM light.
You should also get the Pin cover 1534027. It slides on to the top of the housing -1534155. This cover protects the exposed top of the pins and prevents a short.

Aloha gopassgas, glad to help clear this up. The items you need are:

Tab Housing Pin end Female 1-1534155-1
Terminal Male Crimp type 1-928918-1
Tab Housing Pin Cover 1-1534027-1
These connectors give you the same effect as the Tesla OEM lights. However the connectors look different than what's on the back of the OEM lights because the OEM connector is mounted on the light. Remember, we are not using the OEM lights when you are using logo lights, so you need the housing that represents the same connector found on the back of the OEM light.
You should also get the Pin cover 1534027. It slides on to the top of the housing -1534155. This cover protects the exposed top of the pins and prevents a short.

That clears up a lot of my questions and allows me to visualize it better. Thank you for the individualized advice!

Of all the different puddle lights out there...any recommendations that you can make?

That clears up a lot of my questions and allows me to visualize it better. Thank you for the individualized advice!

Of all the different puddle lights out there...any recommendations that you can make?
Sorry, I can't. I bought mine over three years ago. The version/model is lost in the clutter. I don't know of differences in all those out there now. Wish I could be more useful.

Akikiki- thanks for the info. I bought a bunch of parts from Mouser, and assembled a set of taps and splitters to route the in-door and rear area power from the existing lamps to other lights I have added. Thanks a lot for the part numbers- made it really easy. Also, a trick- I used long pliers (11 inch curved), to go through the lamp holes and pulled connectors from their tie points (just taped with thin blue tape in my case). A gentle, steady pull pulled the wires from the tape. I used a flexible cable camera through the red lamp socket hole (i use this camera to check cylinders in my fuel cars) which made it easy to watch the progress.

Reactions: Akikiki
THis is what the assembly looks light with the pigtail and the connector added.
Tesla Puddle.jpg

Hello-- Here is a short "How to"- First you pop the light assembly out of the door. Then, using a Dremel tool or similar with a cutting abrasive wheel, cut the clear ears off of the lens. Work carefully to not damage the black LED block. Cut both sides in this manner, and the black block will fall out.
light16-jpg.224896
light18-jpg.224897
Then, take the clear lens to a drill press- a hand drill is not steady enough. Align the drill bit (provided with the lamps) to the center of the lens- mark it with black Sharpie to highlight the center of the lens. Slowest speed on the drill press, carefully drill out the center hole- do not use a lot of force, so the bit remains cool. I used a crepe rubber sanding disk cleaner to provide firm but flexible support.
light15-jpg.224900
light13-jpg.224901

The image above shows the center hole and the initial contact of the hold saw teeth. Continue to drill a bit, then cool the bit for 10 or 15 seconds, repeat. You may need to clean out the teeth- just sweep a leather gloved finger over the teeth to remove the plastic.
light12-jpg.224902

Almost done.... I found that rocking the lens just a bit while pushing gave the best cut.
light11-jpg.224903

When finished, the lens is FRAGILE- be careful. You can trim the excess carefully with an Xacto blade- just a little touch up. Then, you need to remove the "ears" on the backside to allow the nut to clear and snugly hold the lens to the lamp housing. Sorry, i forgot to take a picture. I used a file to just cut off enough ear to level and clear the backing nut. I checked the fit constantly so i did not remove too much. Then, insert the light from the front of the lens, snug the nut- not too tight!! Algin the T and you are ready to insert in the socket in the door panel
light10-jpg.224904

I widened the door panel lamp hole using a Dremel tool with a sanding drum. Only remove material in the center region of the light hole- not the whole thing. Try fit- remove material-try fit, repeat until you can just slide the light with clearance so that you do not force the lamp assembly into position. Connect to the existing plug and push the lamp and lens into place- ready to test.
Good luck.

Ordered these from Aliexpress:

For tesla emblem Laser LED Door Courtesy projector Shadow Light for tesla model S logo projector lamp-in Headlight Bulbs from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

These seem like Plug & Play and are little more expensive, around $107 for set of four. I justified extra $$ Since Aliexpress provides some buyer protection. Awaiting delivery, will post pics after install.

yep
those look like plug n play type
i had same ones on mercedes and porsche however they were only about $25 per set
not sure why they would be double price per set for tesla

I've purchased 3 types. The long black tube models like on ebay, the snap in replacements that look like the existing led light, and these from aliexpress. By far, these solid metal ones were the best by a long shot. and they were only $22. They also work in the X as per my thread in the X forum. The black ones on ebay are too long
aliexpress led door lights

tony c
Thanks for sharing. Link in your post is no longer valid. Apparently the original listing was removed and the product was relisted at a higher price of $52 plus shipping.

Thanks for sharing. Link in your post is no longer valid. Apparently the original listing was removed and the product was relisted at a higher price of $52 plus shipping.
I ordered a set yesterday and at 52 x2 for front and rear doors plus shipping it came to $107... Also a search of the site reveals 3-4 listings for the same item. Here's another... For tesla emblem Laser LED Door Courtesy projector Shadow Light for tesla model S logo projector lamp-in Headlight Bulbs from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

As I need to replace the driver's door puddle lamp (logo faded away from light as door was constantly open for repairs) I finally found the place where I had placed the order to replace the crappy ones from China: Mr. Kustom. The now have an etched glass version that is guaranteed not to fade. I ordered that version. Also ordered a brake rear projection light with the Tesla logo. After the pain and cost of my rear-ender in June (hit at a stoplight by a driver texting on her phone) I'll do anything to alert drivers behind me that I've stopped. For that she'll be facing a DMV suit, which is in the courts now.

Reactions: Chaserr