Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle light installation in updated interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to install my puddle lights that I had in my old M3 into an MY22 that I just bought and had a hard time doing so. The lower door material has changed (obviously the whole door panel has changed) from a vinyl over the fiberboard to a hard plastic. So, the lack of give in the hard plastic makes it feel like I'll break the factory puddle light if I keep prying to remove the OEM one. Should I keep at it and it will come out? Or am I risking breaking the factory one?

Can’t get mine in either without the feeling I’m about to break something. Was so easy in the 20 m3 I had

Dunno if something is latching into it behind or what? Anyone have any luck? I gave up for now and registered today to chime in

2022 M3P abstract ocean lights but can’t get OEM out

Just installed on my 22 M3P last night. I didn’t break anything but left slight marks on the plastic using their flat tool. Have a set of plastic trim removal tools that helped but none were small enough to do what their metal one did.

Grab a set off Amazon but make sure to get or that it has smaller ones with a thin edge. Just be careful and you should be ok. If you use anything metal, wrap it in a masking tape or electrical tape to add some extra protection. 3 of the 4 were difficult but I finally got them. Footwells are much harder with where they are vs the doors.

One other tip - when you finally detach the harness, hold onto it if possible. The wire is short or mounted so there wasn’t a lot of slack. Had to fish one out. Also don’t yank to hard on them. Did just enough to make detaching harness a little easier. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• 339ECD38-2D9A-406C-B88C-44FBA42DC6EB.jpeg
    339ECD38-2D9A-406C-B88C-44FBA42DC6EB.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 8B7526CF-0D37-4CFE-B5DD-892E3F9DA8EE.jpeg
    8B7526CF-0D37-4CFE-B5DD-892E3F9DA8EE.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 80
Ah cool so it is possible just takes some effort.

Anyone notice anything else in 22? I don’t remember the same puddle light rectangles in my previous trunk seen them in there now. My serrated board on left of trunk is kinda shittily done but oh well. Floor mats from my 20 m3 still working and fit just fine

I miss the rear arm rest tray guess I’ll buy another off Amazon

Just installed on my 22 M3P last night. I didn’t break anything but left slight marks on the plastic using their flat tool. Have a set of plastic trim removal tools that helped but none were small enough to do what their metal one did.

Grab a set off Amazon but make sure to get or that it has smaller ones with a thin edge. Just be careful and you should be ok. If you use anything metal, wrap it in a masking tape or electrical tape to add some extra protection. 3 of the 4 were difficult but I finally got them. Footwells are much harder with where they are vs the doors.

One other tip - when you finally detach the harness, hold onto it if possible. The wire is short or mounted so there wasn’t a lot of slack. Had to fish one out. Also don’t yank to hard on them. Did just enough to make detaching harness a little easier. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Ah just seen your pics. We talking about puddle lights on bottom of door not the footwell lights.

I just tried installing in my 22 model 3 yesterday and it was extremely hard to remove unlike the youtube videos in the older model show. I applied a bit amount of pressure to try to pry it out but it didn't come out so I gave up, didn't want to break anything. They must of updated it to make it harder to remove.

I just tried installing in my 22 model 3 yesterday and it was extremely hard to remove unlike the youtube videos in the older model show. I applied a bit amount of pressure to try to pry it out but it didn't come out so I gave up, didn't want to break anything. They must of updated it to make it harder to remove.
Definitely harder on my 2022 M3 to remove compared to my 2020 model Y.

Use a plastic trim removal tool to pry the notched side up. It takes some effort but you won't break anything.

I also did the puddle lights on my 22 3P. All 4 were pretty tough to get out. I definitely chipped the OEM ones trying to pry them out. I also ordered the footwell ones and I’m not looking forward to doing them if they’re harder than the puddles 😥

Any tips to not breaking the OEM? Do you pry and just pull hard as hell downwards?
I found using a sturdy trim removal peice (ideally a hooked edge for better support), wedge it under the notched side, and pull down like hell in a swift and strong motion.

When I was trying to baby it I ran into more frustration.

I didn't break any but YMMV. Not that it matters they are super cheap to replace if you wanted to.

• Informative
Reactions: CheapBastid