TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Puddle Lights

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by chronopc, Oct 11, 2018.

1. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I replaced the puddle lights in my front doors yesterday and I noticed the car shuts down as soon as I pulled out the light. It turned back on when I put on the upgraded lights. Did anyone else noticed this when upgrading the puddle lights? Wondering if it's normal.

2. Darscot

Darscot Member

I replaced mine and I don't recall the car shutting down. The door kind of resets and the window cycles through the open closed positions. Just be careful you don't close the door with the light disconnected because the glass will hit the chrome.

3. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

It's normal because the car thinks you just closed the door when you pull the light out. And when you close the door normally, the car would shutdown and roll the windows up. So what you don't want to do is you don't want to pull the puddle light out, then close the door without installing the new puddle light.

4. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I didn't close the door. But I was pretty freaked out when all of a sudden the music stopped and the screen was completely off. I was really relieved when everything turned back on once I put in the new LED. I was really scared something short circuited.

5. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Did you go with abstract ocean or rpmtesla?

6. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Abstract Ocean since I like the way the logo looked better. Is there a difference in brightness between the two?

7. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Not sure, but I was leaning towards abstract ocean's as well.

8. GPinzone

GPinzone Member

How about the ones on eBay for cheap?

9. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

If you want some piece of crap puddle lights that will likely die on you after a few months, sure.

10. dano9258

dano9258 Member

Abstract ocean ones are great. Have had them in for almost three months. And yes, same thing happened to me

11. brobinson

brobinson Member

the chances are extremely high that the lights roll out of the same factory in China.

• Like x 2
  12. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I got some from Amazon as well to replace the ones in my trunk. Pretty sure those are from China but they seem to be working well so far.

13. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

It’s hilarious how people say *sugar* like I will never buy *sugar* from China when all the vendors got their *sugar* from China. :D

14. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Almost everything is made in China, like iPhones.

15. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

What the F is *sugar*

16. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

yes I noticed.

AND - DON'T CLOSE THE DOOR IF YOUR WINDOW IS UP!!!!!!!!!! <------when you pull the puddle light out.

17. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Exactly. So I wonder if it’s racism or ignorance when someone infers a negative connotation to “Chinese made”.

I don’t see any fisheyes or dust nibs on the back of any iPhone I ever gotten that was made in China.

I’ll be laughing hard when my 2026 Model Y made in China will come with perfect paint.

18. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Not anymore. Not with trumps tariffs.

Your iPhones will have paint bubbles and dust in the camera lenses.

19. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I thought iPhones were exempt from the trariffs?

20. woodisgood

woodisgood Member

Are you guys doing logos or just regular puddle lights? Want to get the brighter LEDs from Abstract Ocean but can’t decide if I think the logo is cool or tacky. :p