Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me try.

****!

Edit: Nope. It censored that word to stars. Not sugar.
Perhaps you guessed the wrong one? Try bull----.

EDIT: BWAHHAHA, it didn't censor me at all. Have now replaced it with ---- . That was weird? It's put "*sugar*" in place before even in that exact compound word. Hmmm, how about by itself? *sugar*

EDIT2: Yeah, worked that time. Huh.

• Funny
Reactions: Glamisduner
I ordered the Abstract Ocean lights. I got the "T" for the front doors and the "3" for the back doors.

I installed them with almost no problems. Be careful when disconnecting the wires. They're springy and one of them sprung back up into the door. It took me 15 minutes to create a hook to fish the wire back out. During this time, the window went back up to closed position and the door won't close like that. If I couldn't get the wire fished out again, that would have been disastrous :)

Glad to see I'm not the only one that had some issues. Three doors went very quickly with no hiccups for me. However, the rear driver's side door was almost majorly f-d up. For some reason the wire on that door was a lot shorter than the others - as soon as I pulled the original light out the wire snapped way up into the door. I could not fish it back out, so I ended up having to take the whole door handle/panel off to get the wire back down and put the new light on. Pretty scary at first - especially the sound the retaining brackets make when you pull the thing off. Oh yeah, you need the right size torx driver to remove 2 screws before you can remove the panel. Everything worked out fine, but hopefully no one else has to do it too.

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar
Are the ebay lights the same thing then?
I'm not positive because I returned my Abstract Ocean lights right away before even opening up the package because the ones I found in ebay were cheaper. My guess is that they're of lesser quality,but the result of what you're trying to achieve is the same, if that makes any sense. One of mine actually fell apart as I was trying to install. Luckily, all I had to do was snap everything back into place and then once installed everything fit snug.

How are you folks aligning the lights?

I would like to have it so it is angled like this (with "Tesla") at the bottom ... was able to do this for 3 doors, couldn't rotate the light on the 4th (so it is angled differently) :eek:
When you say "rotate the light", do you mean the black dial? There's a black dial that you can adjust to change the alignment of how you want the projection to show.

I’m going with the AO light replacements where I feel I need more lumens. Specifically, this is the puddle lighting and the trunk. I want to keep the footwell lighting as is and similarly for the glovebox. Since my goal is more lumens, I’m not going to use the logo/letter/number lights but just bright LEDs. Only hold up is the ones I want are out of stock for now.
I upgraded only the puddle and trunk lights as well because the factory ones are pretty much non-functional. The ambient footwell lighting seemed bright enough. For what? Tying my shoes? Diving for lost french fries? Also didn't want the glare from a brighter glovebox light.

Logos aren't tacky, but definitely cater to personal preferences. I picked the 3-bar logo for the front doors only.

I opted for AO’s 3 bar front and back.

D71AAED7-4375-460F-83C4-375C3A0C8AA3.jpeg

For those of you that are looking to improve the brightness of your regular puddle lights, please take a look at this recent TMC thread.
This guy figured out how to upgrade his puddle lights himself for 20 cents. He's got a roll of led light strips 300 lights at a cost of about $18.00 for the roll. He uses 3 LEDs and solders them on to the existing light. Takes about 5-7 minutes and cost about 6 cents for each light. Someone else used the 600 LED light roll, and puts 6 per puddle light. Brighter than anything anyone else out there is selling.
Very clever. I've done a few just yesterday. Easy to do.
DIY Almost Free Super Bright LEDs