Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puddle Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put the Abstract Ocean puddle lights in my X and experienced none of the things people are talking about here.

I simply removed the OEM lights and installed the AO puddle lights (with the X logo). The door didn't act funny, and I had the music going during, and nothing happened.

The AO lights are flawless, and so easy to install. I do wish, however, that AO was not out of the Tesla "T" logo, as that is the most cool, IMO... but the 'X' lights are dang cool too!

• Informative
Reactions: PA ZU
If you want some piece of crap puddle lights that will likely die on you after a few months, sure.
I installed the back doors with ones I bought off ebay. Waiting for the front pair that I also bought off ebay.
20181024_222655.jpg
20181024_222636.jpg

I ordered the Abstract Ocean lights. I got the "T" for the front doors and the "3" for the back doors.

I installed them with almost no problems. Be careful when disconnecting the wires. They're springy and one of them sprung back up into the door. It took me 15 minutes to create a hook to fish the wire back out. During this time, the window went back up to closed position and the door won't close like that. If I couldn't get the wire fished out again, that would have been disastrous :)

I have loved this look since I first saw it in my buddy's Audi (which I think he said was a $250 option?), so I'd like to do the Telsa "T" in the front. I have the $25 gift card from EV Tuning thanks to a Maxpider floor mat purchase and I think they have the Abstract Ocean lights.

As far as installation, what am I looking at in terms of difficulty (i.e., how likely am I to screw something up!)?

I have loved this look since I first saw it in my buddy's Audi (which I think he said was a $250 option?), so I'd like to do the Telsa "T" in the front. I have the $25 gift card from EV Tuning thanks to a Maxpider floor mat purchase and I think they have the Abstract Ocean lights.

As far as installation, what am I looking at in terms of difficulty (i.e., how likely am I to screw something up!)?

It was very simple to install. Need a small flathead screwdriver or pudger (?) tool. The Abstract Ocean ones have a YouTube video tutorial.

Just be careful of the problem I had above.

• Informative

Unlikely you'll mess up. Just watch some youtube videos.

• Informative
How bright are these bulbs when the doors are closed though? I notice that I do have soft glow in my car (ambient lights) and didn't want to make that brighter.

I assume the power draw isn't appreciably larger?
I'm assuming you're asking about the lights for the two front footbeds of the car? The puddle lights at the door turn off when the door is shut. As far as the lights inside the car that you can have on while driving, they will be brighter. One thing to note, if you are going to use the Abstract Ocean lights, I believe they will shut off automatically after a minute or two because of a built in heat safety feature. This will prevent you from having it on constantly while driving.

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar
I replaced the puddle lights in my front doors yesterday and I noticed the car shuts down as soon as I pulled out the light. It turned back on when I put on the upgraded lights. Did anyone else noticed this when upgrading the puddle lights? Wondering if it's normal.

Exact same thing happened to me last night. Shut down as soon as I disconnected the light. When I plugged in the new one the alarm also went off.

I’m going with the AO light replacements where I feel I need more lumens. Specifically, this is the puddle lighting and the trunk. I want to keep the footwell lighting as is and similarly for the glovebox. Since my goal is more lumens, I’m not going to use the logo/letter/number lights but just bright LEDs. Only hold up is the ones I want are out of stock for now.

• Informative
Reactions: McCaesar
I'm assuming you're asking about the lights for the two front footbeds of the car? The puddle lights at the door turn off when the door is shut. As far as the lights inside the car that you can have on while driving, they will be brighter. One thing to note, if you are going to use the Abstract Ocean lights, I believe they will shut off automatically after a minute or two because of a built in heat safety feature. This will prevent you from having it on constantly while driving.

The puddle lights and the footwell lights are ...different lights? I think? after looking at abstract ocean