Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Puerto Rico 100% power loss due to hurricane

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 - Tesla deployed microgrids and solar panels and batteries to Puerto Rico to help them recover from a hurricane.
2022 - Hurricane Fiona strikes and Puerto Rico is without power again.

What's the recoverability of the Tesla installed gear from 2017?

@gnuarm how are things in Puerto Rico? I hope you’re safe and well.

I am safe and well, but I'm in Virginia. I have business here that pulls me back to the mainland.

I'm flying back tomorrow. I was thinking about postponing it, but the Airbnb host has told me they presently have power, water and Internet. That and shrimp is pretty much all I need. The stores are open, so I can get me some shrimp. How many ways can I fix them?

Reactions: Krash and byeLT4
When I heard about how devastating this hurricane was to Puerto Rico, I remembered Tesla providing some systems a few years back to help hospitals and there were some homeowners who had systems installed that had stayed on providing solar power to their homes, so also curious how those have faired. No guaranty that winds didn’t rip panels and roofs off. It’s a great emergency system for many in areas with weather events where electrical power will be out except I would guess for massive flooding like Pakistan.

I know someone who has one of those in Caguas. I'll try to catch up with him when I get there, and ask how it's working for them.

My week in Carolina was not bad. Power, water and Internet were all working, but the power went out a few times. Sometimes for hours. There are so many with generators and solar lights, it's hard to tell what sections have power and which don't.

My friends near Caguas were using a generator. So I don't know if the power wall was not working, or was just not enough.

When I heard about how devastating this hurricane was to Puerto Rico, I remembered Tesla providing some systems a few years back to help hospitals and there were some homeowners who had systems installed that had stayed on providing solar power to their homes, so also curious how those have faired. No guaranty that winds didn’t rip panels and roofs off. It’s a great emergency system for many in areas with weather events where electrical power will be out except I would guess for massive flooding like Pakistan.

This was not that sort of hurricane, at least not for the whole island. The storm was only category 1, traveling off the southern coast. It took a turn as it passed, making landfall just across the southern tip, before heading for the Dominican Republic. Most of the island did not see high winds. The real damage was from the large amounts of rainfall. I saw a video on Facebook of a waterfall I'd visited before. The gorge was about 30 feet below the water level after the storm and it was raging!

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
From a different point of view, I have three power walls. PG&E goes down all the time, from hours to days, no notice, no reason. Without power you're stuck in the dark, furnace or air conditioner don't work, just fun. But power walls keep us running, often so we don't even know we're having an outage.

If Puerto Rico would spend some resources on Solar and Battery backup, they would add a lot to their ability to decrease the impact of storms on their population. Unfortunately, I realize how limited those resources are, and how massive the need is worldwide.

From a different point of view, I have three power walls. PG&E goes down all the time, from hours to days, no notice, no reason. Without power you're stuck in the dark, furnace or air conditioner don't work, just fun. But power walls keep us running, often so we don't even know we're having an outage.

If Puerto Rico would spend some resources on Solar and Battery backup, they would add a lot to their ability to decrease the impact of storms on their population. Unfortunately, I realize how limited those resources are, and how massive the need is worldwide.

I was touring around Guyama once and noticed what looked like a power plant. I started exploring and found a road that goes around behind the facility. They had an overheat conveyor from the dock to the plant that must have been 40 feet high. More interestingly, they had a solar farm as large as the coal plant!

Llumina power plant