Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pull down cords for chargers, HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
Working on a new destination charger setup in the mountains of Utah for a resort (more info on location to come soon)...

It's a snow heavy location. Can anyone help me find out where one would acquire the "up high" spring loaded cable guides like they use at Northstar resort in Tahoe? They put in a wall, and the chargers are behind the wall, with the cords going up and over the top. You can pull down on the cord to stretch it to your car, but when idle it retracts up high. It's like a industrial vacuum power cord retractor. This keeps the cords off the ground and makes snow removal a lot easier. What are the retractable cords that attach to the charge cables called? We would like to use a similar setup at the location I'm working with.

Any help on where I can buy/get more info on this device would be greatly appreciated. Example of the charge setup at northstar below.
Screen Shot 2017-06-08 at 3.09.00 PM.png

Thanks in advance.

Apparently one name for these sorts of devices is "tool balancer" :
Tool Balancers and Retractors - Tools - Grainger Industrial Supply

Most of these kinds of things you find when search for retractable whatever is something where a cable or other thing (i.e. pneumatic hose) is built in rather than merely holding up something attached to it. Apparently "tool balancer" is the thing to search for, or perhaps more specifically "tool balancer with ratchet lock" (so it's not constantly fighting you)? Technically these are meant to hang something at a given height / tension to reduce fatigue in repetitive tasks, but ought to be usable for the purpose of making a generic custom cable reel..

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and Fiver
Oh lawd over $1,000? Probably not going to happen lol. I know it has everything, but Tesla is being awesome and providing both Tesla chargers and a few J1772 as well, so we just need the lifters.
Yeah, Clipper Creek makes great stuff, but they're kind of pricey on some of it. That is a retracting post for two stations mounted on the pole. They do have a single one that's $760, but that's still a lot.

Those things that even Clipper Creek uses is called "spring balancers".
ERP_ER_Series_Retractors.jpg

In a nice casing. Nothing else. Those devices are used at workshops for hanging power tools. Adjustable according to weight.
Some can retract only if user helps to raise, some always retract.
Those things cost little on ebay. Can be a DIY project.

If you use plastic, you need to know if it's actually UV safe, especially at high altitudes. Otherwise after a couple years the plastic will shatter.
If you use steel, you need to know if it's rust-proof as opposed to rust-resistant. If they salt the roads, some will get wind blown and even if not, seasonally snowy mountains are rust magnets.

OPW is not the only makers of counterbalance towers, but they are a very established brand. There are cheaper brands of hose retractors than OPW. It just depends on how commercial quality you want the install to be.