Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pull Over Safely MSLR built Feb 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Below is list of alerts from a "Pull Over Safely Vehicle Shutting Down" incident. Luckily I was able to pull over before it shuddered (maybe brakes) and quit. Not shut down as both screens and ac still on. But no control and drive selection did not work.

I called Tesla road assistance. After about 5 minutes of elevator music they helped me navigate on screen to service->shutdown. After 2 minutes wait I was instructed to press brake peddle. The S came back alive! I drove home ready for another incident.

At home I scheduled an appt in the app and appended picks. It is now documented. Appt scheduled a week out. Then I called, navigating thru several menus I got a service rep. This sort of problem was dangerous and he said I could bring it in as a walk in. I did that. They now have my S with an expectation they'll call by tomorrow evening. They rented a Mercedes GLB 250 but I have to pay for gas!

I am hoping they find something definitive to fix. I can't drive it if they say we couldn't find anything wrong.
20220714_132643.jpg

DI_a139
power reduced .. rear motor temporarily disabled
DI_a246
automatic vehicle hold disabled .. use brake pedal
DI_a223
traction control disabled .. drive with caution
DI_a222
stability control disabled .. drive with caution
DI_a062
power reduced .. exit and enter may restore
DI_a036
vehicle may not restart .. service required
DI_a063
vehicle shutting down .. pull over safely

Last edited:
Today, Monday, the 5th day (two days off on weekend) at Tesla Service Center they called. They have not found the fault yet. They were thinking HVIL on high voltage system but now think it's a low voltage loose connector. He extended finish date to Friday (that'll be one week). Said they can't find problem until it fails for them and will drive it daily. So far I can see they drove four miles. Not looking good.

They've had my S for 7 days now. They call me every other day to say they are still working to determine the cause. The SA said the techs are looking at the error logs. At first the SA said the techs suspect the high voltage interlock loop (HVIL), but they don't know for sure yet. They called again, now they think it's a low voltage loose connector not the HVIL. The SA extended finish date to Friday , thats today, one week. Said they can't find problem until it fails for them and will drive it daily. So far I can see they drove 15 miles. My S has 3,800 miles on it. Seems to me they would have to drive many miles. I asked can't they start looking at connectors to find the loose one. He said that's a lot of connectors. Waiting for it to fail is not the right approach, they should be more proactive. Not looking good.

• Informative
Reactions: paulchou
That sucks, I'd be unhappy if that happened to me with a brand new car for sure.

However, I have to say it sounds like they are actually doing their best. By Tesla standards, it seems like you are getting good communication, and they gave you a loaner / rental, which is alot better than the pile of Uber credits many get.

All in all, by Tesla standards, I'd say they're not doing too badly. I've heard horror stories of folks without their cars for weeks / months, without even a loaner, and with no communication.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I texted SA with some ideas to check. This is how they responded:
Screenshot_20220722-063312_Tesla.jpg

I am sure they are following procedures and hope it's fruitfull soon. They've driven it 18 miles in 7 days. I did not get a call. Today is Friday, 8 days in shop today. I am thinking of getting the service manual just to be able to speak the language better.

Last edited:
Long story short: they have not definitively fixed the problem and want to release my S back to me.

Today is nine days in the shop. They've been in contact with me every day either on phone or text. They've driven it 27 miles hoping it will fail and it hasn't. They've touched harnesses and plugs looking for loose connectors. Their conclusion is that they might have fixed it.

They called to ask if I want the car back but then offered to keep it over the weekend. The idea was they'd drive some more to see if it faults. I am a bit leery to drive it, especially with my wife or other passenger. Towing is no big deal, but having an accident is. I will pick it up Tuesday and drive many miles with no passenger. Maybe after so many miles I'll think it's fixed and allow passengers.

Screenshot_20220723-070314_Tesla.jpg

Bitter sweet to get my S backafter 13 days in shop from a "Pull Over Safely" incident. I paid $18 to fill the rental Mercedes, Tesla paid for the car. The invoice said they drove it and did general diagnostics. I asked the SA if there were some mechanic notes that describe what that general diagnosis was. He said could only tell me what's in the invoice. I pressed when he said we can't do anything without it failing because the fault codes you got while driving aren't enough, they're generic. See the faults in post #1. To me those codes are enough to point where to look. I asked if all the error code I presented were generic. There is very little communication between mechanics and SA and I belive they did more than SA can tell me, he's not privy to those details. After more pressing he said they checked for pinched harnesses and lose connectors. Maybe he made that up, I don't know. One piece of advice in the invoice: if there's a problem, activate voice command and say "bug report". SA said it takes a screen capture and sends to Tesla. Bitter: nothing definitively fixed so I'll drive with no passengers for awhile. Sweet: the S is awesome and I'm glad it's back.

Bitter sweet to get my S backafter 13 days in shop from a "Pull Over Safely" incident. I paid $18 to fill the rental Mercedes, Tesla paid for the car. The invoice said they drove it and did general diagnostics. I asked the SA if there were some mechanic notes that describe what that general diagnosis was. He said could only tell me what's in the invoice. I pressed when he said we can't do anything without it failing because the fault codes you got while driving aren't enough, they're generic. See the faults in post #1. To me those codes are enough to point where to look. I asked if all the error code I presented were generic. There is very little communication between mechanics and SA and I belive they did more than SA can tell me, he's not privy to those details. After more pressing he said they checked for pinched harnesses and lose connectors. Maybe he made that up, I don't know. One piece of advice in the invoice: if there's a problem, activate voice command and say "bug report". SA said it takes a screen capture and sends to Tesla. Bitter: nothing definitively fixed so I'll drive with no passengers for awhile. Sweet: the S is awesome and I'm glad it's back.
Screenshot_20220727-144431_Chrome.jpg

Sorry to hear you had this issue. I had a minor door handle issue on my new S so i could only imagine the mental strain a vehicle shutdown would have. That being said, it sounds like you had a very positive customer service experience. Hopefully you have a long term trouble free Model S.

Sorry to hear you had this issue. I had a minor door handle issue on my new S so i could only imagine the mental strain a vehicle shutdown would have. That being said, it sounds like you had a very positive customer service experience. Hopefully you have a long term trouble free Model S.
Thank you. Do you remember driver training? Among other things we were taught to "leave yourself an out". That and being more aware or being one with my S is making me a better driver. I expected to be uptight and on edge waiting it to fail again. But that's not the case. I really enjoy driving. Tesla Model S is awesome.

I asked the SA if there were some mechanic notes that describe what that general diagnosis was. He said could only tell me what's in the invoice. There is very little communication between mechanics and SA and I belive they did more than SA can tell me, he's not privy to those details.

Mechanics do leave notes. It's on another screen the SA has access to.