Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pull Over Safely, Restart Car to Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar error message and red-out of the PRND on the dash, in a similar situation. I had just punched the accelerator from a low speed, and the car completely lost power. In my case, Tesla replaced the Power Inverter unit. Like you, I have an early-production car (Nov.2012).

I had the exact same issue in my 60 kWh at about 2 months of ownership and 3,000 miles. Mine also occurred after a hard acceleration. I initially thought I had accidentally bumped into neutral so I tried to shift into drive on the fly. After shifting to drive 2 or 3 times the car began responding again normally. Tesla service stated there were "internal faults occurring" and replaced the "drive unit", no problems and 18,000 miles since.

I had the exact same issue in my 60 kWh at about 2 months of ownership and 3,000 miles. Mine also occurred after a hard acceleration. I initially thought I had accidentally bumped into neutral so I tried to shift into drive on the fly. After shifting to drive 2 or 3 times the car began responding again normally. Tesla service stated there were "internal faults occurring" and replaced the "drive unit", no problems and 18,000 miles since.

This just happened to me as well on the 405 during hard acceleration. I spoke with service who checked the car remotely and said they saw nothing in there and that it may be a 5.9 thing. I have a 'B' pack BTW.

Happen to me at the EV Rally Sat. In the Drag Event. I let the EV Instructor drive. We Won. I drove it home ok. They are picking it up Tuesday and bringing it back wed.

From Tesla Service, Raleigh.
I had my technician look at the car logs and the faults were coming from the drive unit.

The EV Instructor. Look like anyone you know?

IMG_1685.JPG
6E3A0316.jpg
6E3A9921.jpg

I had loss of acceleration after gunning it, red P N R D and a message to pull over.
Had to Power Off and restart twice and was able to drive 300+km after that.

Service Center couldn't read any messages, probably because I powered off and restarted immediately.
I will bring the car in tomorrow to have it checked.

I did notice that I had a bit _over_ 320kW of power (on an S85) for a few seconds when I left the office.

Has anybody else run across this message before? It happened when I floored it while entering a freeway on-ramp. Fortunately, I was in the middle of nowhere (no traffic behind me).

Notice the orange and red gear letters.

View attachment 42567

Upon restarting the 17" and then putting the car into drive it cleared itself and the car behaved normally from there on out.

For what happened next, look here:
PocketDyno, Sig P85 A after 23k miles

The 4.x UI!! Drool! Never realized how much I missed you!

It’s like it was designed by someone who drove the car on a regular basis.