Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Pull Over Safely - Vehicle Shutting Down" - Car Totally Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As soon as I see “used” I move on. I know *sugar* happens on new too. But with used you have no idea what the car has been through even if it only has a 100 miles on it. Major repairs could have happened. Only reports that go through insurance are recorded with CarFax. Everything else can stay hidden.

Paying $100K+ for a used car is a huge gamble. Some win, some lose. I don’t gamble.
In sum cases the new car is a gamble. Nobody wants to be disappointed with a cars quality.

Reactions: maximizese
In sum cases the new car is a gamble. Nobody wants to be disappointed with a cars quality.
I agree new cars are a gamble too. Especially Teslas. you don’t need to add wood to the fire by getting a used one ;)

Hey if there wasn’t a used Tesla market I’d be scrrewed at trade in time. So by all means buy them for top dollar.

I just bought a Tesla Model S Long Range (2021). It has 4,500 miles. Really love the way the car looks and drives.
Have had it for about 2 months. This morning, the car flashed a warning while I was driving "Pull Over Safely - Car Shutting Down".
30 seconds after the warning - the car was disabled and stopped in the middle of the street. You could not manually put the car into neutral at all.
I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and they came an hour later to tow the car away. It's a horrifying experience for a vehicle that costs $100K.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? From reading different forums, it sounds like this has happened to several model 3s and model Ys.
Apparently it has something to do with the Rear Motor Drive Inverter. In any case, appreciate your thoughts and help.
Issues piled up and made me laugh… here’s why: brand new 2022 model x less than a month old, 1,800 miles, same message came up today “Pull over safely - car shutting down”. This among other messages attached in the pics below. I happened to be driving on an empty road going around 55mph not far from my house and had it charged at around 95% at the time error message lit up. I was planning on going on a long trip which got cut short. Pulled into some busy parking lot and had just enough time to park properly. When tow truck showed up, tesla turned on like nothing happened. I didn’t want to take any chances and after speaking with Tesla service over the phone he assured me that this is a serious issue and requires me to bring tesla into service for diagnostics. So at that point tow truck driver said that he knows what he is doing and told me that he’s been towing teslas by dozens daily. I handed him the key card but this idiot, instead of placing it on the wireless charging pad (that’s where you are indicated to place card by instructions which come up on the screen) this moron placed the card on top of the sliding top cover of the center console and pushed it in! The card disappeared when he pushed cover the second time! Magic!))
Now you can probably feel my frustration. Good thing my phone was at 11% and I was able use it. Didn’t have actual key with me and hardly ever since I use my phone all the time. At that point I said I will drive tesla up the flatbed myself. Then my wifey picked me up and I followed tow truck to service. We notified tesla advisor that in addition to the error messages and car shutting off, that the tow guy lost the key card in center console and we all had a laugh and have been told that many drivers lose their credit cards and driver licenses same way, basically it is a known issue but no solution for stupidity. Aside from that have been told that diagnostics will take a few days. See attached images and stay tuned.

Attachments

• 9D56D1ED-C014-4837-BE57-652DE6912D1D.jpeg
    9D56D1ED-C014-4837-BE57-652DE6912D1D.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 330
  • 1FF439E0-9011-4EC4-A87A-7493F8C12376.jpeg
    1FF439E0-9011-4EC4-A87A-7493F8C12376.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 113
  • D2C6D92A-32B9-4673-9EF0-617E2ECFB489.jpeg
    D2C6D92A-32B9-4673-9EF0-617E2ECFB489.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 5C319F8E-6680-4706-9B0D-473FBC9000C3.jpeg
    5C319F8E-6680-4706-9B0D-473FBC9000C3.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 628F25A6-9D82-4819-AEF0-13F6BAA4D703.jpeg
    628F25A6-9D82-4819-AEF0-13F6BAA4D703.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 117
  • BBF81850-87BA-4A4C-A42C-171EC657DCF6.jpeg
    BBF81850-87BA-4A4C-A42C-171EC657DCF6.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: zoomer0056
Same thing with my '22 Model S LR. 5 months old or so. I have 10k on it. Two weeks ago wife called me with this. I had to go and get them. She had time to pull over but she was still blocking one lane. It was towed. Haven't seen it since.

Not only do they not have loaners, but they have not even given me Uber credits until two days ago. Worst part is not that they don't have loaners. Most dealers don't have them right now. But they do not communicate. Every other day I get a reply saying "we re working on it". No detail. Nothing about what went wrong. You cannot call them. Every aspect of Tesla' "Service" has been a disappointment so far. The purchase process was full of problems. The delivery experience was bad. Basically here is your car. Bye! Scheduling service with them is bad. Huge wait times. Then they just reschedule you on the fly. Not even asking you if you can do it or not. Here is a new date and time. Now this.

My 2021 Plaid also shut off with a 10 second warning.. Was stuck on a highway at night.. Extremely dangerous situation.. I had to run off to the side of the road and flag cars down from smashing into me. I quickly pushed the Power Off button in the service menu, got out and locked the car and moved the key away.. After about 5-10 min everything reset and came back on as normal and I was able to drive away..

Tesla found that my rear high voltage cables had arc'd and replaced them.. Hasnt happened since cross my fingers.. Tesla engineers were in on the process as it happened very early on after the car was released.. If anyones techs are trying to find the issue, have them check the rear voltage lines for a grounded arc. It seems some of the cables on early release had defects in them.

Cheers
5200 miles on our mod s frontdrive inverter bad and pyro fuse been in shop since july 19th still waiting

Front drive unit needs to be replaced. 2 weeks in, still waiting for repairs to be completed. At least they gave me $1,000 in Uber credits, so been taking Uber Black when needed. I work from home, so didn't press for loaner at this time. Service Center has been somewhat delayed in getting back to me. Was promised a call a couple of days ago, but never got one. Waiting...car has been in shop one week for every month I've owned it. High from buying it has been deflated somewhat. On the other side of things, my girlfriend just paid $7.00/gallon for Premium Unleaded her in California for her BMW. So there's that (staying positive).
Did they actually replace the front drive unit for you? I have 2022 MYP and it’s happened twice now the first time after about 800 miles. They replaced the inverter in the front drive unit and kept the car for 22 days, we did get a loaner. Then 600-700 miles later same warning signs same issue complete shut down while driving. It’s at a different service center and no diagnosis yet, but I told them it’s the front drive unit and it needs replaced. There is something very wrong with this car.

Wow, I didn't expect so many experiences of break down. Mine is a 2017 S 70D with 49000 miles,
I got it by a semi on I 70. The side of the car is damaged, but I was able to drive on. After about 20 miles the car just shut down. No warning whatsoever. I pulled on the shoulder and tried to restart it a few times to no avail, it's the middle of the night. I call a tow trac, when he finally gets to me I get out of the car and noticed a puddle of liquid under it. The next morning it worked enough to get it on the flat bed. It is in Indianapolis. It has been a week and they have not be able to diagnose the problem.

... the car just shut down. No warning whatsoever. I pulled on the shoulder...

Your statements contradict eachother.

If I were considering purchasing a Tesla and read this thread, I might be very concerned.

I can't confirm that every post here is authentic (there are definitely many fakes out there from TSLA shorters), but I'd like to balance this by saying that my M3 has been reliable transportation for 20 months and 32k miles.

It's rare that people post on the forums to say "everything's working as expected" because they *expect* everything to work as expected... people tend to give a lot more negative feedback than positive.

Tesla has produced millions of vehicles at this point, and the vast majority of them are driving without issue.

Your statements contradict eachother.

If I were considering purchasing a Tesla and read this thread, I might be very concerned.

I can't confirm that every post here is authentic (there are definitely many fakes out there from TSLA shorters), but I'd like to balance this by saying that my M3 has been reliable transportation for 20 months and 32k miles.

It's rare that people post on the forums to say "everything's working as expected" because they *expect* everything to work as expected... people tend to give a lot more negative feedback than positive.

Tesla has produced millions of vehicles at this point, and the vast majority of them are driving without issue.
Yup, how can you pull over if the car is shut down?

I was driving 63 miles an hour, about 45 miles worth of charge when the engines just quit and I felt the car in regenerative mode. I pulled to the shoulder, brought the car to a stop, retried to shift it back to drive, nothing. I tried this several times without success. The car was working the next day when it was loaded on a tow track and toad to Tesla in Indianapolis. They had no code on the car whatsoever. They tried to drive it to see if they could duplicate the problem. Nothing. They lowered the battery to see if there was any water in (I forget the name) the compartment where the battery connect to the car and found nothing. They left me a message last night advising that the car is ready. I now have to go to Indy and drive home to Chicago not knowing if I will make it home.

I was driving 63 miles an hour, about 45 miles worth of charge when the engines just quit and I felt the car in regenerative mode. I pulled to the shoulder, brought the car to a stop, retried to shift it back to drive, nothing. I tried this several times without success. The car was working the next day when it was loaded on a tow track and toad to Tesla in Indianapolis. They had no code on the car whatsoever. They tried to drive it to see if they could duplicate the problem. Nothing. They lowered the battery to see if there was any water in (I forget the name) the compartment where the battery connect to the car and found nothing. They left me a message last night advising that the car is ready. I now have to go to Indy and drive home to Chicago not knowing if I will make it home.
That's about 11% charge. Hmm.... Next time something happens (hopefully never again) generate a bug report that is saved to the car's memory. Only the mechanics have access to this report. It's supposed to take a snapshot of the car's systems. Generate the report with a command "bug report" while holding the microphone button. This is what the service center told me.

Last edited:
That's about 11% charge. Hmm.... Next time something happens (hopefully never again) generate a bug report that is saved to the car's memory. Only the mechanics have access to this report. It's supposed to take a snapshot of the car's systems. Generate the report with a command "bug report" while holding the microphone button. This is what the service center told me.
They released my car Friday evening. No problem found. I had it transported back home in Illinois. Now I am stuck with a car that I can’t trust anymore. How can I go on a trip and worry that I might not reach my destination. It’s probably time to trade it in.

I just bought a Tesla Model S Long Range (2021). It has 4,500 miles. Really love the way the car looks and drives.
Have had it for about 2 months. This morning, the car flashed a warning while I was driving "Pull Over Safely - Car Shutting Down".
30 seconds after the warning - the car was disabled and stopped in the middle of the street. You could not manually put the car into neutral at all.
I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and they came an hour later to tow the car away. It's a horrifying experience for a vehicle that costs $100K.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? From reading different forums, it sounds like this has happened to several model 3s and model Ys.
Apparently it has something to do with the Rear Motor Drive Inverter. In any case, appreciate your thoughts and help.
Just happened to me on I-680 during this heat wave. Model 3, 2022. Got it 2 months ago. First the same message as yours. Luckily I was able to find an exit (it felt it took 2 mins or so). Then message "Power is not enough to support all the functions". Then black screen and everything is locked. No lights, no AC, just dead car. Horrible had it happened on a freeway. Towed the car to a dealership and still no updates on what have happened. Have a feeling it has to do with the outside temperature which was 110 or so.