Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Pull Over Safely - Vehicle Shutting Down" - Car Totally Disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Issues piled up and made me laugh… here’s why: brand new 2022 model x less than a month old, 1,800 miles, same message came up today “Pull over safely - car shutting down”. This among other messages attached in the pics below. I happened to be driving on an empty road going around 55mph not far from my house and had it charged at around 95% at the time error message lit up. I was planning on going on a long trip which got cut short. Pulled into some busy parking lot and had just enough time to park properly. When tow truck showed up, tesla turned on like nothing happened. I didn’t want to take any chances and after speaking with Tesla service over the phone he assured me that this is a serious issue and requires me to bring tesla into service for diagnostics. So at that point tow truck driver said that he knows what he is doing and told me that he’s been towing teslas by dozens daily. I handed him the key card but this idiot, instead of placing it on the wireless charging pad (that’s where you are indicated to place card by instructions which come up on the screen) this moron placed the card on top of the sliding top cover of the center console and pushed it in! The card disappeared when he pushed cover the second time! Magic!))
Now you can probably feel my frustration. Good thing my phone was at 11% and I was able use it. Didn’t have actual key with me and hardly ever since I use my phone all the time. At that point I said I will drive tesla up the flatbed myself. Then my wifey picked me up and I followed tow truck to service. We notified tesla advisor that in addition to the error messages and car shutting off, that the tow guy lost the key card in center console and we all had a laugh and have been told that many drivers lose their credit cards and driver licenses same way, basically it is a known issue but no solution for stupidity. Aside from that have been told that diagnostics will take a few days. See attached images and stay tuned.

Mine did that also, except I was on a major highway.. came very close to being rear ended multiple times as I was over the crest of a bridge and there was no shoulder to pull off onto.. I had to jump the barrier to safety. Car started working again after about 5-10 min. Turns out it was a High Voltage cable in the rear that had arc'd / grounded out. They replaced it, and hasnt happened since in 10k miles.. Look there is my suggestion Apparently some of the cables were faulty and not properly insulated.

Around midnight last evening I was traveling on I95 in my 2022 LR MS (13k miles). The pull over message appeared and I pulled off the road. After stopping the car wouldn’t shift into any gear and a steering wheel reboot did nothing. Called roadside. They had me power the car off. Did not fix issue but allowed me to drive around 35 mph. I decided to get to the next exit to be safe from traffic. This ends up being a dubious decision (you’ll see in a minute). Tesla got me a tow and I waited in the parking lot of one of those dodgy motels (I had two to choose from and this one had fewer people outside). The area was otherwise rural and these two motels were my only option. About 90 minutes later I saw the tow truck coming up the street but as the driver pulled into the lot… three gun shots rang out from the motel across the street. People were running and a few cars fled the scene. The tow driver and I loaded my car (very quickly) and we got out of there. Now my car is at a service center 6 hours from my home with a rear motor decreased power fault. Still the best car I’ve ever owned and I’ve had a few good ones
26025F5F-253A-4C52-903D-3DC6CE943745.jpeg

Reactions: Nickos
Count me in the club too. I think we should create a shirt to commemorate the experience........:rolleyes:;):rolleyes: My day old 22 Model X died in my driveway after 283 rigorous miles of spirited driving. On my 2nd day of "diagnostics' so I sent a helpful email to the techs. No loaner, no communications and I am seriously look for an IX60 M atm. Six Teslas in I am just frustrated how poor all the service has gotten over the years and the lack of loaners sucks. I need to be able to get around easily and I cant and have a trip planned for next weekend which seems to be in jeopardy. Rear motor error, a_193, yellow turtle mode and service center doesn't respond quickly to the text messages. I asked what is the diagnosis and they cant figure it out. I know bad inverters and drive units aren't rare at this point

Count me in the club too. I think we should create a shirt to commemorate the experience........:rolleyes:;):rolleyes: My day old 22 Model X died in my driveway after 283 rigorous miles of spirited driving. On my 2nd day of "diagnostics' so I sent a helpful email to the techs. No loaner, no communications and I am seriously look for an IX60 M atm. Six Teslas in I am just frustrated how poor all the service has gotten over the years and the lack of loaners sucks. I need to be able to get around easily and I cant and have a trip planned for next weekend which seems to be in jeopardy. Rear motor error, a_193, yellow turtle mode and service center doesn't respond quickly to the text messages. I asked what is the diagnosis and they cant figure it out. I know bad inverters and drive units aren't rare at this point
Take it to the SC, no appt needed for this type of failure. You'll be put to the front of the queue. You have to take point on this, be your own advocate. Tow it, drag it, push it ... any way to get it there is better than sitting dead in the driveway.

I just bought a Tesla Model S Long Range (2021). It has 4,500 miles. Really love the way the car looks and drives.
Have had it for about 2 months. This morning, the car flashed a warning while I was driving "Pull Over Safely - Car Shutting Down".
30 seconds after the warning - the car was disabled and stopped in the middle of the street. You could not manually put the car into neutral at all.
I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and they came an hour later to tow the car away. It's a horrifying experience for a vehicle that costs $100K.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? From reading different forums, it sounds like this has happened to several model 3s and model Ys.
Apparently it has something to do with the Rear Motor Drive Inverter. In any case, appreciate your thoughts and help.
This happened to me in the worst spot possible. I was on interstate and the shoulder was blocked off with concrete barriers due to construction. Car coasted to a stop in the right lane of the highway and police had to come shut down the lane. Caused a backup for miles.

I just bought a Tesla Model S Long Range (2021). It has 4,500 miles. Really love the way the car looks and drives.
Have had it for about 2 months. This morning, the car flashed a warning while I was driving "Pull Over Safely - Car Shutting Down".
30 seconds after the warning - the car was disabled and stopped in the middle of the street. You could not manually put the car into neutral at all.
I called Tesla Roadside Assistance and they came an hour later to tow the car away. It's a horrifying experience for a vehicle that costs $100K.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? From reading different forums, it sounds like this has happened to several model 3s and model Ys.
Apparently it has something to do with the Rear Motor Drive Inverter. In any case, appreciate your thoughts and help.
In my case it is the front inverter.

I was already having a bad day. Got sick with RSV, (whole family is sick), had a renter complaining about a porperty and all I wanted was a donut from my favorite donut place to take the edge off the stress. They sell out quick so ya gata get there early. Thankfully its only 1.5 miles from my house and if your in MA The Donut Stand is amazing. Got a half way there and the car said to pull over. I quickly found a spot on the side of the thickly settled road and tried resetting it and all that stuff. My wife came to pick me up, I took the kids car seats out of the back and if anyone was wondering the s plaid or the s in general is HORRIBLE for unbuckling a kid in a car seat. Went home. Car got towed about 3 hours later, which I didnt care about cause I was at home and not waiting around. They called me when they showed up as I left the key in the car and unlocked it for them with my phone.

As a side note- after making friends with the tow truck driver whom said he was with Tesla roadside service and he mostly just tows teslas. He said the plaids have the most issues in general, then its the S and X long ranger. He said the least towed tesla is the model Y. Then he told me to buy a volvo cause he loves volvos. Which I replied I own a volvo xc90 and I also love it. I have two EX90's on pre-order and cant wait.

We bought the car used from tesla with 5k miles on it. Had it for a day and I felt a vibration in the pedal. I reported it right away so, they covered it under warranty. They also said they would paint part of the car cause it didn't meet the tesla specs for what's acceptable. They gave me this gross ass 2014 S that smelled and creaked and cracked. My 5 year old said "this cars garbage lets cover it in glitter and set it in fire" I said why glitter "cause glitters the worst". He's not a car snob, he (and I) love my 2004 honda element if your wondering. They ended up replacing the rear wheels which on the exterior were prefect. That actually did help alot with vibrations although I still felt a slight vibration around 44mph but figured its not worth it to ask for them to look at it again. Anyways. I have owned the car for roughly 3 months, had it in my possession for 11 days total and driven it 394 miles. Our last tesla 22 M3P with 3k we sold was flawless or as flawless as a car with 3k can be and I regret "upgrading" to this plaid.

We were planning on taking the car for its first road trip to buffalo over Thanksgiving and after reading so many posts about the Plaids having this issue and in some cases multiple times i don't want it anymore. Our rivian rt1 probably wont show up for a year, our cybertrucks never showing up, our ford lighting pre-order I am gonna cancel or give the pre-order to someone in my family (cause I decided I hate for dealers for being scumbags who wanted 20k over msrp) or the fisker ocean (which I don't want but my wife pre ordered) holding out for the ex90 and rivian. While we wait for the car to be fixed im hoping it takes 12 business days cause then its a lemon and I get my money back!! Them im buying a 4xe wrangler on a lease to get that 7500 credit then sell it when the rivian or volvo shows up. Love the car and its perfect on paper. Made me feel fancy but man on man how a huge bummer it is. Fingers crossed for that 12 day repair time!

I was already having a bad day. Got sick with RSV, (whole family is sick), had a renter complaining about a porperty and all I wanted was a donut from my favorite donut place to take the edge off the stress. They sell out quick so ya gata get there early. Thankfully its only 1.5 miles from my house and if your in MA The Donut Stand is amazing. Got a half way there and the car said to pull over. I quickly found a spot on the side of the thickly settled road and tried resetting it and all that stuff. My wife came to pick me up, I took the kids car seats out of the back and if anyone was wondering the s plaid or the s in general is HORRIBLE for unbuckling a kid in a car seat. Went home. Car got towed about 3 hours later, which I didnt care about cause I was at home and not waiting around. They called me when they showed up as I left the key in the car and unlocked it for them with my phone.

As a side note- after making friends with the tow truck driver whom said he was with Tesla roadside service and he mostly just tows teslas. He said the plaids have the most issues in general, then its the S and X long ranger. He said the least towed tesla is the model Y. Then he told me to buy a volvo cause he loves volvos. Which I replied I own a volvo xc90 and I also love it. I have two EX90's on pre-order and cant wait.

We bought the car used from tesla with 5k miles on it. Had it for a day and I felt a vibration in the pedal. I reported it right away so, they covered it under warranty. They also said they would paint part of the car cause it didn't meet the tesla specs for what's acceptable. They gave me this gross ass 2014 S that smelled and creaked and cracked. My 5 year old said "this cars garbage lets cover it in glitter and set it in fire" I said why glitter "cause glitters the worst". He's not a car snob, he (and I) love my 2004 honda element if your wondering. They ended up replacing the rear wheels which on the exterior were prefect. That actually did help alot with vibrations although I still felt a slight vibration around 44mph but figured its not worth it to ask for them to look at it again. Anyways. I have owned the car for roughly 3 months, had it in my possession for 11 days total and driven it 394 miles. Our last tesla 22 M3P with 3k we sold was flawless or as flawless as a car with 3k can be and I regret "upgrading" to this plaid.

We were planning on taking the car for its first road trip to buffalo over Thanksgiving and after reading so many posts about the Plaids having this issue and in some cases multiple times i don't want it anymore. Our rivian rt1 probably wont show up for a year, our cybertrucks never showing up, our ford lighting pre-order I am gonna cancel or give the pre-order to someone in my family (cause I decided I hate for dealers for being scumbags who wanted 20k over msrp) or the fisker ocean (which I don't want but my wife pre ordered) holding out for the ex90 and rivian. While we wait for the car to be fixed im hoping it takes 12 business days cause then its a lemon and I get my money back!! Them im buying a 4xe wrangler on a lease to get that 7500 credit then sell it when the rivian or volvo shows up. Love the car and its perfect on paper. Made me feel fancy but man on man how a huge bummer it is. Fingers crossed for that 12 day repair time!
Quit a story and you have alot of cars. I'm rooting for the 12th day ... of Christmas for you.

Reactions: lemonslush
well they fixed my car already. THey had the parts on hand said it was the rear drive inverter. They said the replacement inverter was a updated version and its more reliable. So i just gata get the other two to break and it will give me more piece of mind. I guess im gonna start launching it hard as I can lol

Reactions: zoomer0056
I agree new cars are a gamble too. Especially Teslas. you don’t need to add wood to the fire by getting a used one ;)

Hey if there wasn’t a used Tesla market I’d be scrrewed at trade in time. So by all means buy them for top dollar.
I have purchased 3 different Tesla’s used, 1 model 3 and 2 model S vehicles and they have been very dependable and very few repairs. I have never had to have them towed or been stranded. What’s interesting is that almost everyone reporting car shutting down has a vehicle that is either new or in the first 10K miles.

I guess I’m lucky but my service center in Westmont Illinois has been excellent and very reasonable. If you purchase through Tesla’s used inventory then yes they are overpriced but that is not the case when going through other dealers.

Prices were crazy high earlier this year but not now, prices have really dropped in the last few months. I just purchased a 2020 S long run plus for 71k that has 20k miles on it and was listed a few months ago for 80K.
If you are trading into Tesla then you are getting a super low trade in price, they give less for trade ins than any other dealer I checked with by a big margin.

Last edited:
Happened to me just now. Freeway, 115kmh, no shoulder to pull into. Luckily I limped to a stopping bay as the car was slowing. Reboot didn’t work. Alert said something like “exit and re-enter car” . So I did and it wiped the error. So far so good. I’m half way through a 900km road trip

Yesterday was a busy day. My 2022 MYP was at 6% when I finally arrived home at 7pm.

Parked, the car went from 6-4% in 4 hrs. 11pm I took the car to a 250Kw supercharger apporox 7 miles away, which brought the battery level down to 2%. I charged to 90% and went back the same 7 miles with one stop, so let's call it 10 miles.

When I finally arrived home, while driving up ṭo my parking spot in the garage (I live in a high-rise). The car violently jerked, going up an incline as if the rear motor had locked up. I lost acceleration, and the car went into neutralI, coasted backward to level ground, came to a stop.
The car then went into park & I got this message flashing on the display.

(top, over the image of the car)
🚨PULL OVER SAFELY
VEHICLE SHUTTING DOWN🚨

(bottomREAR MOTOR ⚠️DISABLED‐AVOID STEEP GRADES
POWER REDUCED - SCEDULE SERVICE IF ALERT PERSISTS⚠️

Panicked, shocked, frustrated, I just sat there. WTF to do? Now it's past midnight

After about (5) mins, the alert telling me the rear was Disabled changed to something like

"Exit the vehicle and return,"

So I did. I got out of the vehicle, sure enough, the car shut down completely. I got back in, hit the brake, she booted up and was back to normal. I proceeded up to my parking spot and parked.

It's now Saturday morning. I'm writing this 12 hrs later, haven't driven the car. I'm not sure I should before contacting Tesla on Monday.

Have you experienced this? please leave a comment.

Yesterday was a busy day. My 2022 MYP was at 6% when I finally arrived home at 7pm.

Parked, the car went from 6-4% in 4 hrs. 11pm I took the car to a 250Kw supercharger apporox 7 miles away, which brought the battery level down to 2%. I charged to 90% and went back the same 7 miles with one stop, so let's call it 10 miles.

When I finally arrived home, while driving up ṭo my parking spot in the garage (I live in a high-rise). The car violently jerked, going up an incline as if the rear motor had locked up. I lost acceleration, and the car went into neutralI, coasted backward to level ground, came to a stop.
The car then went into park & I got this message flashing on the display.

(top, over the image of the car)
🚨PULL OVER SAFELY
VEHICLE SHUTTING DOWN🚨

(bottomREAR MOTOR ⚠️DISABLED‐AVOID STEEP GRADES
POWER REDUCED - SCEDULE SERVICE IF ALERT PERSISTS⚠️

Panicked, shocked, frustrated, I just sat there. WTF to do? Now it's past midnight

After about (5) mins, the alert telling me the rear was Disabled changed to something like

"Exit the vehicle and return,"

So I did. I got out of the vehicle, sure enough, the car shut down completely. I got back in, hit the brake, she booted up and was back to normal. I proceeded up to my parking spot and parked.

It's now Saturday morning. I'm writing this 12 hrs later, haven't driven the car. I'm not sure I should before contacting Tesla on Monday.

Have you experienced this? please leave a comment.
Yes I have. About 2,500 miles on my Feb 2022 MSLR it flashed the Pull Over Safely, Car Shuting Down. We were approached a yield sign at 10 mph. I was able to steer halfway off the road. Enough for people to drive around. My wife was directing traffic while I called Tesla Road Service using the number from the screen. Several people offered to help but really couldn't . I was on hold for only a minute. They said go the the screen and hit the shut down button. Also was instructed to remain in the car and don't touch anything while we waited a few minutes. Then I pressed the brake peddle, car started and we drove off. The Tesla guy said maybe it was a glitch. I drove "puckered " for the next thousand miles, city only. My wife would not get in the car. Another thousand, then another no problem. Puckering resided and my wife and I are enjoying the car again . Its been 7k miles since then, no problem.

Reactions: Nickos
Yes I have. [snip]
I forgot to mention. In a situation like this the Service Center said I did not have to make an appt, they took me in right away as a walking. I got a MB loaner. A MB? Wow, I must be king. Don't remember which model, but it was the worst vehicle I've ever driven. But I digress. I did not want to take my car home until they found and fixed a definitive problem. Well, they could not satisfy that requirement. They touched and replugged as many harnesses as they could. They also drove it about 100 miles and I made them keep working on it for six weeks. They were very good with communications and keeping it to test it out. To this day I still don't know what caused the shut down. Maybe they sent a remote shutdown signal just to mess with me...don't know. The car, even with this, is the best car I've ever owned.

Yes I have. About 2,500 miles on my Feb 2022 MSLR it flashed the Pull Over Safely, Car Shuting Down.
My wife would not get in the car. Another thousand, then another no problem. Puckering resided and my wife and I are enjoying the car again . Its been 7k miles since then, no problem.

Wow. Since you are a regular here, I'm starting to wonder if this is a common problem.

It seems apparent I will have to sell this car before end of warranty.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Wow. Since you are a regular here, I'm starting to wonder if this is a common problem.

It seems apparent I will have to sell this car before end of warranty.
No worries, at least for me. 7k miles since ... no problems, no more puckered driving. If I knew the C8 had GPS raised suspension I might have bought a 3rd Corvette. But ... no way will I ever go back to ICE. The S is the best car (eventhough s$#t happened) I've ever owned.