Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled Over By A State Trooper!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
W.

T.

F.

adding you to my creeper list. just... wow.

Wow. You think I'm creepy because I think its mildly inappropriate for a cop to flag down or Tesla's on the freeway?

Or is it because of the statement about making out with the cop, which had the "roll-eyes" smiley face meant to indicate the absurdity of the entire analogy (which itself was constructed based on a Todd Burch's experience, with the cop actually going on a test drive, hence "making out", and Todd being "flattered" by the experience)?

"For the record" (ie for real) if I was a woman who was pulled over by a police officer who then proceeded to hit on me, I'd be seriously creeped out and would seriously consider reporting him. In the context of the analogy that I was making I would have "made out" with the cop. Meaning given him a ride in my Model S. But it was still unprofessional behavior on the part of the police officer.

"Abuse" would be typically defined by the victim (Todd) and he clearly did not indicate any sense that his best interests were compromised. If anything, the best interests of the community were served when the police officer became more aware of the characteristics of the vehicles on the road.

Ever think of the concept of "mutual consent?"

And this cop taking his coffee break in a Tesla rather than a Dunkin' probably is in the public interest - not only is he fitter, he is more knowledgeable about a new type of vehicle (especially with Todd as his teacher)

Ever think of the concept of "mutual consent?"

And this cop taking his coffee break in a Tesla rather than a Dunkin' probably is in the public interest - not only is he fitter, he is more knowledgeable about a new type of vehicle (especially with Todd as his teacher)

I, like many, see both sides of this discussion. It is clear to me that Todd did not have a negative experience or feel violated. So I don't really see it as an abuse of power (and certainly not an abusive power, in case the grammar police are on patrol).

But I try to view it as whether this is something that the cop's supervisor would have found to be ok, or the chief, or the mayor, or the general public. If that is a story these people would find ok, then fine. If it is something that would not be consistent with their rules of conduct, then bad. And of course, even if bad, I suspect it is not the kind of thing that would end up in some major problem on this guy's file.

If Todd had gunned it and hit a child that darted onto the road, the media would have gone nuts with this. Cop joyriding while on duty ends up with dead child.

But me not knowing the rules on this kind of thing, I am not qualified to pass judgment. Maybe it is like E1 references - a permissible break.

So IMO not an abuse of power (though the cop did enjoy a perk), but perhaps bad judgment by the cop.

Maybe I should start a new thread since this one has gotten so far of course so often :)

I got pulled over on Friday in Glendale, AZ. Since my car is new, I only have temporary tag right now. And is apparently the standard case for cars delivered in AZ (since no license to sell here), its a CA temp tag. I have 90 days to register in AZ when they will issue plate and charge me the sales tax (a lot) and license tax (little).

The temp tag is supposed to be posted on the rear window. Well,since. Just got my car tinted, I put it on the front window as I don't want to stick anything to the tint yet, plus I got 5%tint so not even sure of its easily visible there.

Cop pulled me over for not having tags (he approached from behind the car). I pointed it out on the front window and explained why its there. He seemed more interested in the car, and didn't mind at all what I had done. Spent abt 8 minutes Tesla time explaining. First one he had seen, up close for sure. Anyways, nice guy, no issue, and I don't think there was an abuse of power since he stopped me for a legit reason. Though I wonder if it wasn't a Tesla/car he hadn't seen and was interested in if he would have even noticed the lack of tag or bothered to pull me over.

The state trooper was going undercover for the time. Plus, he needs to know what Model S can do in case they have to chase one down. What with that silent approach, quick acceleration, and rear camera, it'd make quite the getaway vehicle if you disable the GPS tracking.

...But I try to view it as whether this is something that the cop's supervisor would have found to be ok, or the chief, or the mayor, or the general public. If that is a story these people would find ok, then fine. If it is something that would not be consistent with their rules of conduct, then bad. And of course, even if bad, I suspect it is not the kind of thing that would end up in some major problem on this guy's file.

... but perhaps bad judgment by the cop.

In nearly all police and sheriff departments across the country, uniformed police are actively discouraged from driving or riding in privately-owned vehicles (POV). There are actually stern warnings if seen in a POV while in uniform, "with patches showing". There are multiple reasons for this, but the two most prominent are: 1. The public may see the officer/deputy in a POV and try to flag them down for assistance. 2. People with bad intentions may target the officer and the general feeling is that the POV is less equipped to handle such a situation. Not saying that the Model S is "less-equipped", but thus far, the factory installed ballistic panel option has yet to be announced!

In nearly all police and sheriff departments across the country, uniformed police are actively discouraged from driving or riding in privately-owned vehicles (POV). There are actually stern warnings if seen in a POV while in uniform, "with patches showing". There are multiple reasons for this, but the two most prominent are: 1. The public may see the officer/deputy in a POV and try to flag them down for assistance. 2. People with bad intentions may target the officer and the general feeling is that the POV is less equipped to handle such a situation. Not saying that the Model S is "less-equipped", but thus far, the factory installed ballistic panel option has yet to be announced!

Thanks, I did not know this!

A while back I was driving my Roadster along minding my own business (and not speeding), driving through a commercial district of a town. A cop pulled up behind me, tailed me for a while, then turned on his lights and pulled me over.

In Washington state, car registrations have expiration dates that might be in the middle of the month. You get license plate tabs that indicate the month of expiration. So, it's possible that your registration might have expired early in the month while the tabs still show valid, but there's no way to know just from looking at the license plate. The tabs on my car showed the registration expiring that month. The cop told me that he was pulling me over because my registration *might* be expired and he wanted to check. Of course, it wasn't. Then, he proceeded to talk about the car for several minutes.

Clearly, this was just a guy who wanted to look at my car, and used this as an excuse. I mean, how many people have really been stopped because they might (or might not) be a few days expired on their tabs?

I didn't feel violated or anything, and I didn't feel like he'd behaved especially inappropriately. It never even occurred to me to report him.

Still, it was a pretense.

A while back I was driving my Roadster along minding my own business (and not speeding), driving through a commercial district of a town. A cop pulled up behind me, tailed me for a while, then turned on his lights and pulled me over.

In Washington state, car registrations have expiration dates that might be in the middle of the month. You get license plate tabs that indicate the month of expiration. So, it's possible that your registration might have expired early in the month while the tabs still show valid, but there's no way to know just from looking at the license plate. The tabs on my car showed the registration expiring that month. The cop told me that he was pulling me over because my registration *might* be expired and he wanted to check. Of course, it wasn't. Then, he proceeded to talk about the car for several minutes.

Clearly, this was just a guy who wanted to look at my car, and used this as an excuse. I mean, how many people have really been stopped because they might (or might not) be a few days expired on their tabs?

I didn't feel violated or anything, and I didn't feel like he'd behaved especially inappropriately. It never even occurred to me to report him.

Still, it was a pretense.

Now THERE I can see abuse of power...

I was pulled by a Chesterfield County, VA officer before I received my state tags. Without getting into the hassle about VA and their registration system, the officer was intrigued by the car, commented that that was the first time he'd ever pulled anyone and spent the entire time talking about the car. He loved the car.

He said, as he kindly let me go, "Other officers might pull you again, but if for no other reason than to see the car up close!" I laughed, and went on my way, but with tacit acknowledgment from one of the brethren that officers do pull people with hidden agendas. It happens.

In Washington state, car registrations have expiration dates that might be in the middle of the month. You get license plate tabs that indicate the month of expiration. So, it's possible that your registration might have expired early in the month while the tabs still show valid, but there's no way to know just from looking at the license plate. The tabs on my car showed the registration expiring that month. The cop told me that he was pulling me over because my registration *might* be expired and he wanted to check.
Late response, but that was a bad stop. Cops in Washington can check registration status via their in-car computer or via dispatch. Absolutely no need to stop you and look at your paper registration for the expiration date. That's no more justified than pulling you over to ensure the tab's serial number matches the car - they can't pull people over based on hunches or what-if's. While it may be mildly flattering, I still think it's misconduct that should be reported. I'd be interested in the jurisdiction, since I'm in the same neck of the woods. (By the way, pretty sure I saw your red beauty on I-90 the other day - love that color!)

I got pulled over on the way home from work tonight. (101 south near Palo Alto)
cop: I pulled you over because you driving in the car pool lane with no passengers.
me: I have Car Pool Lane stickers
cop: You have what?
me: I have HOV lane stickers
cop: Where are they?
me: <staying very calm> On the back of the car
cop: <walks to back of car and returns> I'm very sorry sir - I never even noticed. pause - Does this car qualify for HOV stickers?
me: Yes, it's all electric.
cop: ok, thankyou and sorry again. As soon as I see your drivers license, you can be on your way

!!!!!!