Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today as I exited the freeway, I realized I had a CHP right behind me. I wasn't speeding, had signaled, plates current, so no reason. So I thought I was being paranoid. I signaled to turn right. Then he did. Next stop sign, I signaled to turn left. Then he did. Next stop sign, I signaled to turn right. Yep, he then signaled to turn right. Guy stayed right behind all the way to the private road back to my place. We're far from the freeway, back on country roads at this point. Definitely NOT a coincidence. And I felt a little intimidated, to tell you the truth. It's not the first time they've done that.

So later this afternoon I headed over to the CHP substation a few exits down the freeway, parked, and went to the desk. I told the guy on duty that I had my Roadster out front & "clearly it was of high interest to the guys on patrol since I was getting followed a lot". I told him about earlier today. I offered to come back at a time convenient (like say a shift change) so that everyone could see it, possibly drive it, ask all the questions they wanted to ask - because, again, I was getting followed a LOT and that never happened in my Jeep, so obviously there was curiosity. And it was bothering me.

Hahaha. Anyway, no I don't need to come back. He apologized that I was getting followed and felt it necessary to stop by for a show and tell. And it won't happen anymore. We'll see. But at least I felt better about it.

Today as I exited the freeway, I realized I had a CHP right behind me. I wasn't speeding, had signaled, plates current, so no reason. So I thought I was being paranoid. I signaled to turn right. Then he did. Next stop sign, I signaled to turn left. Then he did. Next stop sign, I signaled to turn right. Yep, he then signaled to turn right. Guy stayed right behind all the way to the private road back to my place. We're far from the freeway, back on country roads at this point. Definitely NOT a coincidence. And I felt a little intimidated, to tell you the truth. It's not the first time they've done that.

So later this afternoon I headed over to the CHP substation a few exits down the freeway, parked, and went to the desk. I told the guy on duty that I had my Roadster out front & "clearly it was of high interest to the guys on patrol since I was getting followed a lot". I told him about earlier today. I offered to come back at a time convenient (like say a shift change) so that everyone could see it, possibly drive it, ask all the questions they wanted to ask - because, again, I was getting followed a LOT and that never happened in my Jeep, so obviously there was curiosity. And it was bothering me.

Hahaha. Anyway, no I don't need to come back. He apologized that I was getting followed and felt it necessary to stop by for a show and tell. And it won't happen anymore. We'll see. But at least I felt better about it.

Well handled! That's the thing. Even when you're certain you've done nothing wrong, it's still intimidating and nerve-wracking to most of us.

You sound paranoid, maybe ease up on the weed...........HA!....just kidding.

Perhaps if they were paid more than a subsistence wage and had a real career path like the RCMP in Canada. There a city or town can choose to use Mounties for their police force or they can recruit and train their own--typically only large cities do this. It works really well because the Mounty gets moved around as part of his or her career path and there is consistency of enforcement.

I like this idea. Should broaden the appeal for the career and get you more (qualified) applicants. And possibly less of the bored "let's check out this car because I'm curious" types.

I think Brianman meant that every other driver is a 'potential' victim as the officer's effectively condoning the reckless behavior of the young, pretty one, thus encouraging her to repeat it and putting other drivers in danger in the process.

OMG. You guys are missing the point. I was simply pointing out that police officers are fallible human beings, just like the rest of us. Yes, that is not being on your best behaviour, but it's not exactly surprising either.

No point having a meta-argument over it. Get back on topic! (And this isn't even my section!)

OMG. You guys are missing the point. I was simply pointing out that police officers are fallible human beings, just like the rest of us. Yes, that is not being on your best behaviour, but it's not exactly surprising either.

No point having a meta-argument over it. Get back on topic! (And this isn't even my section!)
Respectfully, I think you might be missing the point.

Your example of "under-enforcing" is quite different from the "curiosity pull-over" in a critical way: it's abuse of authority in a way that violates the law and the rights of the individual. The former isn't nearly as concerning. Wrong, but not as concerning.

Examples might help:

Case A
Suppose 1 person a day gets let out of a speeding ticket because he/she is attractive. In the extreme lets say that balloons to 1000 a day in California over the summer. While bad, that's not a social catastrophe.

Case B
Suppose 1 Tesla driver a day gets pulled over by a curious police officer with no cause. In the extreme lets say that balloons to 1000 a day in Texas over the summer. In addition to being bad, that's a newspaper story for weeks and probably will trigger some legal activity.

It would have been a 100 kph (62.5 MPH) road, and the video showed the cars speedo at 107 kph (66.5 MPH).

Ok, well even better then! Thank you for input from someone a little more up to speed with how they do mileage outside the US (us crazy English metric system users...)

I missed that the speed was shown in the video... looking back I can see that now. So yeah, I am pretty sure the "margin of acceptance" is up to +10 right? So if it is a 100KPH road, then 107/100 wouldn't have made a huge difference... dude would have been hit either way and would have still killed them both (most likely). Now if that was supposed to be a 60KPH road or something slower, MAYBE...

On first glance it sends a powerful message, taking another look, I don't think it is fair to judge the guy who hit him as the one largely "at fault" when clearly he made a very bad call on an otherwise open/uncrowded road. Sorry, for the criticism...

Come on guys it's advertisement not intended to be analytically pulled apart by looking at the speedometer in a freeze frame. If the director used too high a number, folks would be "that'd never be me". So a slightly over choice (10..20%+) is the optimal to make the story consistent while sending the emotional message across.

And if you kill a family because of a mistake of their dad it still feels pretty sh**ty. "At fault" is a weak concept in that scenario where one could have mitigated the risks by allowing margins in the behavior envelope.

Come on guys it's advertisement not intended to be analytically pulled apart by looking at the speedometer in a freeze frame. If the director used too high a number, folks would be "that'd never be me". So a slightly over choice (10..20%+) is the optimal to make the story consistent while sending the emotional message across.

And if you kill a family because of a mistake of their dad it still feels pretty sh**ty. "At fault" is a weak concept in that scenario where one could have mitigated the risks by allowing margins in the behavior envelope.

Or, you know... he could have been driving a Tesla! Problem solved :p

Seriously though, I said at the start it was a pretty powerful message with the way it was put together. It sorta drives home that we are all responsible for ourselves AND others. Especially here in America where everyone is so selfish in their driving (although this wasn't an american commercial, perhaps it should have been). I am a strong believer of that.

The only time I end up driving somewhat recklessly is on the interstate over here in Northern VA, because people seriously are selfish, by driving 5 MPH slower than the speed limit in the far left lane (of a 3 and 4 lane highway) and then you can't get around them, because they are passing someone also going the SAME SPEED LIMIT... and instead of speeding up, they just keep going. backing up traffic, and causing everyone to be frustrated, all because they couldn't be bothered to drive in a way that doesn't impede the flow of traffic. And if I am ever going slower than the guy behind me, regardless of how fast I am going vs the speed limit vs how fast he wants to go, I still either speed up so I can get out of his way or if already clear, I get out of his way. /rant

Sorry about that. But yeah, I generally think of myself as a nice driver. Letting people get in front of me, not being in other's way, etc. So I can totally get the point of the message. Just was blowing a few holes in it (cause everyone is always a critic right?)