Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So communities where people know each other are better but, oh my gosh, don't be polite and get to know your local patrol officer?

At least here in my part of California, we do not have "local patrol officers." There is no community service program where citizens can get to know CHP, local PD/Sheriff or vice versa. There are no beat cops that we can engage in some benign conversation or relay a concern. Any communication with the local PD is only through email (or 911 for emergencies.) Their offices are closed to the public. I understand that CHP patrol officers are supposed to live many, many miles away from their office. This could be for personal and family safety, and I get that.

When we moved into our home 24 years ago, the gentleman across the street was a very high ranking CHP officer--two stars on his collar. When he and his wife welcomed us to the neighborhood, they refused entry to our home for a soft drink or some munchies. His parting words to us were, "Again, welcome to the neighborhood, but do not ever talk to me about the CHP on any matter whatsoever, or ask us to any social event." When I relayed his message to our other neighbors, they all said the same thing.

This sort of isolation from "society" only serves to make police departments more insular. So, NigelM, we tried to get to know our neighbor, the Division Commander. It was he who refused any sort of hospitality and assumed that all of us here in the 'hood were unsavory types who would compromise his job and ask him to commit a misdemeanor by fixing our next CHP-issued traffic citation. Our only CHP traffic citation was in 1981--so 33+years and counting.

I think we may be a little arrogant in our assumptions here. It is not that uncommon for a policeman, to transition to relatively idle chit-chat instead of the standard 'license and registration, please' line, if the initial reason for the approach was already [mentally] cleared in the officers mind. If anything, the officer is probably giving you the benefit of the doubt because of your vehicle. Maybe we should complain because they are not as rude to us as they might be to a jalopy filled with inebriated, beligerent, goth teens.

That being said- I admit that I've had more "chats" with police since I've gotten my Tesla. Several times it was to ask me questions about the car while I was parked (Washington D.C., Boston MA, Gainesville FL); I've been blocked in at a public charging station that never had a civilian car before (Millington TN)- they waited to talk to me rather than follow their first instinct to give me a ticket; The two times I was pulled over (Chattanooga TN and Savannah GA) I was roaming around aimlessly trying to find the charging station and they pulled me over to HELP me.

... just sayin' ;)

Angel

I think we may be a little arrogant in our assumptions here. It is not that uncommon for a policeman, to transition to relatively idle chit-chat instead of the standard 'license and registration, please' line, if the initial reason for the approach was already [mentally] cleared in the officers mind.
I think you're being naive here. The "idle chatter" is the cop on a fishing expedition. Could be anything from looking for "probable cause" to do a warrantless search to stealing the money of someone driving an expensive car. If you think that doesn't happen, google "civil forfeiture." I know a few people who were legally robbed that way.

In 2004 while on Florida turnpike I got pulled over by FHP during 113 mph during a brief few minutes. I usually never exceed 85.
FHP is notorious for giving other cops tickets and being strict. My previous ticket was in 1990 and had been really lucky using no radar detector.
I don't know if this made a difference but I pulled over to the right of the emergency lane completely onto the grass.
He parked behind me so that he could safely get out of his car and walk on the emergency lane without worrying about traffic going by.
I said had no excuse for driving that fast while wondering if he was going to pull me out of the car arrest me.
He came back and I was stunned he only gave me a warning and in the comments said 113/70.

The only problem I have with this story is that the person who was pulled over unknowingly consented to a search of his vehicle over a routine speeding issue, and one where there was likely no probable cause for a search. Should the officer find something in the course of "admiring" the interior of your car - something that is not legal or something the officer may find suspicious - you are screwed. You don't know what an officer may be looking for, or if the officer is crooked he or she may mysteriously "find" something in your car that wasn't there to begin with.

Anyone who thinks this is no big deal should watch this presentation by a criminal law professor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're being naive here. The "idle chatter" is the cop on a fishing expedition. Could be anything from looking for "probable cause" to do a warrantless search to stealing the money of someone driving an expensive car. If you think that doesn't happen, google "civil forfeiture." I know a few people who were legally robbed that way.

You are probably right that I am exposing some naivety here, though I find it much less stress provoking to presume the best of intentions (til proven otherwise). Many people innocent of any obvious infraction, think they are being targeted prejudicially. The mantra: Good happens to me because I am awesome, Bad things happen because of the improper behaviors/intentions of others.