Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First one with Mr. Plod in his rear camera, start a thread .... I will join you, most likely.

Well, I won't get my S for another month or two, so you all got a head start on me. I will try to get pulled over on day 1, shouldn't be too hard for me .. I know where all the cops sit in my town waiting for me to drive by, lol. GAME ON!!

- - - Updated - - -

First one by a state trooper wins a prize!! lol That's at least little bit more challenging. I've never been pulled over by a trooper for tinted windows, so you REALLY have to be speeding, and you have to be speeding while their paying attention. Plenty of times I've whizzed by state troopers doing 85-95mph and they didn't pull out. Either they were just too lazy to come after me, or they were sleeping on the job (most likely the latter, because I think most of those times it was between 4-5am). And it's not like I'll have a loud exhaust to wake them up like I did on my Camaro. Maybe if you peel out on the highway somehow that should get their attention!! lol

I found its easier to drive at the speed limit with the Model S. It helps to have the bold white numbers staring you in the face.
I don't have the same experience. In my ICE vehicles, when the gears shift there's a pause to glance down at the speed. I don't have that opportunity in my S.

Oh wait, I was talking about approaching the limit vs. holding it.

First one by a state trooper wins a prize!! lol That's at least little bit more challenging.

Depends on the state. NJ is only 1 state over from PA. Try speeding on the PA turnpike. You are nearly guaranteed to get pulled over by a state trooper. They have one about every 2 miles on there itching to pull you over if you are going about 2 mph over the limit.

Cheers

Depends on the state. NJ is only 1 state over from PA. Try speeding on the PA turnpike. You are nearly guaranteed to get pulled over by a state trooper. They have one about every 2 miles on there itching to pull you over if you are going about 2 mph over the limit.

Cheers

I have a place in Mt. Pocono off 940 so I've sped up 476 plenty of times usually with cc around 80-855mph. I've only seen troopers a few select times. Maybe about 5-10% of my trips over 10 years. Usually around the Allentown rest stop. Detector usually goes off with PA troopers if I recall. Never really worried about getting caught speeding there. MD's where I've been nailed a few times because they are using a band of laser my detector doesn't seem to pick up.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I did get nailed once on the Schuylkill. But that was because I actually passed him in a different lane doing 83mph haha. He still let me go. I think he thought I was a cop for some reason.

As flattering as it is, it sort of annoys me. I feel it's a bending/abuse of the law and their power. I had similar things happen in my R8, and while I remained cordial, it did irk me a bit. The worst was when a cop followed me for miles. One may argue that if you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about -- but it is indeed stressful having that in your rearview mirror. I actually see it as a mild form of harassment.

It's abusive if they don't have a credible reason for pulling you over.

I found its easier to drive at the speed limit with the Model S. It helps to have the bold white numbers staring you in the face. Other cars I usually bounce around within a 5mph range, but the S sticks right there with little correction at all.

Oh my, it seems I can not drive the speed limit in this car. Every time I look down I am amazed by how fast the car is going. So quiet and equally smooth breaking 27 as it is breaking 57 as it is breaking 97. Like nothing I have ever driven. I'll be sure to explain that to the police when I am pulled over.

Todd great story. FYI am near VT, near WRJxn (aren't you?) and actually forgot my charging cord, and was going to look for a tesla owner nearby for help, but decided to go back south and grab it. Was only about 20 min out of the way. all good.

Wait you are VA not VT. Such a fine line between stupid and clever...(Tap)

Last edited:
Yay, my first run-in.

We were heading out to a shopping center and passed a cop sitting in the center lane of the road about 1/8th of a mile before the turn in. We go by and turn in, find a spot and park. As we're getting all situated and preparing to get out we see the cop in his big ole SUV sitting behind us staring at the car. As I open my door he gets out and walks up:

"Hi sir, this registration is coming back to a 1983 Porsche?".

I explained that I've never owned one and that I just got the tags a few weeks back, maybe there was a mistake. I also told him to try to run it with a Zero instead of an "Oh" -- he really seemed more interested in just getting close and seeing the car than running the plates. He's like "Oh it's an Oh and not a zero?". Got back in the SUV and pulled off.

I tried not to be standoffish, but just kept going about my routine (packing the baby bag, getting the stroller out the trunk) as if someone were just asking me for directions.

I was cruising in the HOV lane today (100% because I could) solo with my new plate. There was a cop sitting on a little section checking for 2 people in the car. I saw him close the door, and the car wiggle a little before I passed him. Then his headlights went off and the door cracked open after seeing my EV tag. I was semi-hoping to get harassed, so I could be a smart ass (it is a character flaw/trait of mine to dislike 'authority').

I have a question for the forum. I have custom tags (NOCRUDE) that I am transferring from a car that I'm about to sell. The paperwork for transferring the registration/plates to my Model S was submitted today but will take some time to process. So, should I go ahead and put the custom plates on now while keeeping the temporary registration slip in the window or just continue to drive around with that small piece of paper in the window only? Of note, while I wish we lived in a truly egalitarian society, history has taught me that a brother driving a nice car seems to get ahem..... Increased scrutiny by our boys and girls in blue, let alone driving without a license plate. Thoughts?

Hey Jaq1,

I'm only a few miles north of you and I am also transferring my tags from my old car to my S. I've kept the CA temp registration taped to the window and I moved my hard tags over even through I know that they do not match yet. I've talked to the MVA about this and it sounds like everyone in the system is use to there being a lag of 4-6 weeks for everything to make it into the computer properly, so it hasn't been a huge concern. I've had it this way for 6 weeks, and almost 7000 miles, and haven't been pulled over for it yet and there have been plenty of opportunities. I just make sure to have enough paperwork with me that I could explain exactly why the car doesn't look like a 97 Honda, and that the CA temp tag is valid (for 90 days).

Peter

I have a question for the forum. I have custom tags (NOCRUDE) that I am transferring from a car that I'm about to sell. The paperwork for transferring the registration/plates to my Model S was submitted today but will take some time to process. So, should I go ahead and put the custom plates on now while keeeping the temporary registration slip in the window or just continue to drive around with that small piece of paper in the window only? Of note, while I wish we lived in a truly egalitarian society, history has taught me that a brother driving a nice car seems to get ahem..... Increased scrutiny by our boys and girls in blue, let alone driving without a license plate. Thoughts?

I was walking back to my S at cascade station when I noticed a squad car parked near it. As I waved, he said he hadn't seen one before and wasn't sure what it was. I offered to show it to him. I had him sit in the drivers seat while I went through the full menu. Sadly, I couldn't let him take a test drive as he was solo in his squad car. It still made his day though!