Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2nd speeding ticket :(
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362010910.541567.jpg

A friend of mine was driving on the 401 yesterday with his brand-new Model S. A cop pulled him over, giving some bogus explanation that his plate came up as stolen, but it had been in error. He then asked what kind of car it was, etc. Never asked for license, insurance, or ownership. LOL.

Problem is, I think this is going to be two points on my record for excessive speeding. Isn't anything over 20 miles an hour over the speed limit considered excessive?

I don't know about CA laws, but in NJ it is the following:
1 to 14 MPH over speed limit = 2 points
15 to 29 MPH over speed limit = 4 points
30 MPH or more over speed limit = 5 points
If you go too slow and block traffic = 2 points
Racing on highway = 5 points
Improper passing = 4 points
Reckless driving = 5 points

I think over 100 mph or > 2x the speed limit is 'wreckless'

Varies by state. In Virginia, there is misdemeanor and felony reckless driving.

Typically, if it is a matter of speed, the charge will be that of Reckless Driving by Speed in violation of §46.2-862. This means a speed of approximately 20 miles per hour over the posted speed limit, or over 80 miles per hour regardless of the posted limit.State code ß 46.2-864 also prohibits reckless driving in areas other than roadways and highways, such as:
  • A driveway or parking lot of a business, governmental property, recreational facility, school or church
  • The premises of an industrial establishment designed to offer parking space to employees, patrons and customers
  • A highway that is currently under construction, even if it is currently closed off to the public

Felony:

According to state code ß 46.2-868, if you’re found guilty and one of the following two statements are true, you could be convicted of a Class 6 felony as opposed to a Class 1 misdemeanor:
  • You were driving without a driver’s license because it was suspended or revoked for a previous offense
  • Your reckless driving directly resulted in the death of another individual

Other ways to be charged with reckless:

Aside from speeding 20 mph over the legal limit, you could be charged with reckless driving in Virginia for one of the following:
  • Passing a school bus that is stopped to pick up or drop off children (code ß 46.2-859)
  • Passing an emergency vehicle such as an ambulance (code ß 46.2-829)
  • Racing with another vehicle (code ß 46.2-865)
  • Driving with faulty brakes (code ß 46.2-853)
  • Driving an overloaded vehicle that interferes with visibility and/or driving control (state code ß 46.2-855)

Source: Reckless Driving Virginia

In Ontario, driving 50 kph (31 mph) over the limit is considered "stunt driving", with the following penalties:

• Car is immediately impounded for 7 days
  • License is immediately suspended for 7 days
  • 7 demerit points
  • Minimum $2,000 fine
  • Possible 2 year license suspension

Of course this leads to a dramatic increase in your insurance costs for 3-5 years.

Oh, and on TOP of that you get a speeding ticket. As a minimum.

You have to be careful with the Model S - you can hit that very quickly!

In Ontario, driving 50 kph (31 mph) over the limit is considered "stunt driving", with the following penalties:

• Car is immediately impounded for 7 days
  • License is immediately suspended for 7 days
  • 7 demerit points
  • Minimum $2,000 fine
  • Possible 2 year license suspension

Of course this leads to a dramatic increase in your insurance costs for 3-5 years.

Oh, and on TOP of that you get a speeding ticket. As a minimum.

You have to be careful with the Model S - you can hit that very quickly!

That is a pretty hash penalty, makes me happy to live in Illinois and there are not many things that make me happy to live in Illinois.