Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled over driving Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If he pulled you over for speeding, he should have given you a ticket and sent you on your way. If he pulled you over to entertain himself, he abused his power and should be fired.

Really? It's called discretion. I've been ticketed less than half of the times I've been pulled over. The act of being "caught" is usually a reality check and reminds me to pay more attention and/or slow down.

Yes, on my first full day of ownership, I was pulled over, going 43 in a 25 mph zone.

Apparently, he was actually more interested in the car than anything else. Had to crawl around and look at everything.

No ticket!

I got pulled over for the first time for going 38 in a 25

Cop asked what kind of car this is (Smart ED) and liked the color and gave me a ticket. Still don't know how much it will be. :redface:

If he pulled you over for speeding, he should have given you a ticket and sent you on your way. If he pulled you over to entertain himself, he abused his power and should be fired.

The OP admitted to speeding. The cop was doing his job in pulling him over.

In most jurisdictions police officers have the discretion to give a verbal or written warning in lieu of a ticket if they deem that sufficient to deter the behavior. Again, sounds like they were doing their job.

Now, if the OP had not been speeding or committing some other offense and the cop pulled them over just to look at the car that would certainly be an abuse of power. But that's not what happened here.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Technically, 1101011 is a valid number in bases 3-10 as well. I agree that binary is the most likely interpretation but I wanted to show some love to our other numeral systems.

It's also a palindrome, for our English language lovers!

LoL so many policing forum members, why don't you become a cop and ticket all traffic violators?

I guess none of you have ever driven higher than the limit and never broke any of the traffic laws. If you did that you should go to your local police station and confess and get fines issued for these violation. I'm sure it'll be entertaining...

Technically, 1101011 is a valid number in bases 3-10 as well. I agree that binary is the most likely interpretation but I wanted to show some love to our other numeral systems.

It's also a palindrome, for our English language lovers!
If you want to be pedantic about it, it's a valid number in any base...

LOL. (Which is also a palindrome...)
Nice hat, Bob Tahecin.

I bet that kind of attitude makes your traffic stops awfully entertaining...

Without getting off topic too much...The more detached law enforcement is from society the more likely a traffic stop will result in a citation. Smaller communities with small forces tend to know everybody (or know someone who knows SOMEBODY!) Smaller communities whose bread-and-butter is the tourist trade tread more lightly with out-of-towners who spend money in their jurisdictions. The last thing the mayor/city council/chamber of commerce wants to hear is the tourists staying away from their city because of LEO "attitude" or pettiness.

Regrettably, ordinary citizens are faceless to LEO's on a large force. Common sense and social skills are not emphasized by the lieutenants and captains who oversee their patrol officers. A traffic citation versus a warning is always a judgment call for the officer. But in the original post, he should have kept his interest in the Tesla out of the conversation.

There is that pesky Constitution that prohibits LEO from detaining people who have not, are not, or are not about to commit a crime. So, a traffic stop just to chat about your car would be malfeasance. "Officer, am I free to go?"

Yes, on my first full day of ownership, I was pulled over, going 43 in a 25 mph zone.

Apparently, he was actually more interested in the car than anything else. Had to crawl around and look at everything.

No ticket!
Nice. Wish the cop that pulled me over for rolling through a right-on-red about 1 month into ownership had been that kind to me. Instead I got stuck with a ~$525 ticket. :scared:

The more detached law enforcement is from society the more likely a traffic stop will result in a citation. Smaller communities with small forces tend to know everybody (or know someone who knows SOMEBODY!)

Regrettably, ordinary citizens are faceless to LEO's on a large force. Common sense and social skills are not emphasized by the lieutenants and captains who oversee their patrol officers. A traffic citation versus a warning is always a judgment call for the officer. But in the original post, he should have kept his interest in the Tesla out of the conversation.

So communities where people know each other are better but, oh my gosh, don't be polite and get to know your local patrol officer?

Nice. Wish the cop that pulled me over for rolling through a right-on-red about 1 month into ownership had been that kind to me. Instead I got stuck with a ~$525 ticket. :scared:

Its incidents like these that cause people to disrespect police. Mind you it is somehow not as bad as the communist police in HK who attended an incident where a truck driver was going nuts at me and another driver who beeped him for entirely blocking a 2 lane main road, and then tried to blame the screen in my Model S for "distracting" me!